Why We Buy: The Science Of Shopping by Paco…

Why We Buy: The Science Of Shopping (edition 2000)

by Paco Underhill

1,319249,540 (3.73)14
Is there a method to our madness when it comes to shopping? Hailed by theSan Francisco Chronicleas "a Sherlock Holmes for retailers," author and research company CEO Paco Underhill answers with a definitive "yes" in this witty, eye-opening report on our ever-evolving consumer culture.Why We Buyis based on hard data gleaned from thousands of hours of field research -- in shopping malls, department stores, and supermarkets across America. With his team of sleuths tracking our every move, from sweater displays at the mall to the beverage cooler at the drugstore, Paco Underhill lays bare the struggle among merchants, marketers, and increasingly knowledgeable consumers for control.In his quest to discover what makes the contemporary consumer tick, Underhill explains the shopping phenomena that often go unnoticed by retailers and shoppers alike, including: How a well-placed shopping basket can turn a small purchase into a significant sale What the "butt-brush factor" is and how it can make sales plummet How working women have altered the way supermarkets are designed How the "boomerang effect" makes product placement ever more challenging What kinds of signage and packaging turn browsers into buyers For those in retailing and marketing,Why We Buyis a remarkably fresh guide, offering creative and insightful tips on how to adapt to the changing customer. For the general public,Why We Buyis a funny and sometimes disconcerting look at our favorite pastime.… (more)
Member:jpthompson
Title:Why We Buy: The Science Of Shopping
Authors:Paco Underhill
Info:Simon & Schuster (2000), Paperback, 256 pages

Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping by Paco Underhill

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg (trav)
    Shopping for a Better World by Alice Tepper Marlin (Abrahamray)
    Spent: Sex, Evolution, and Consumer Behavior by Geoffrey Miller (mercure)
    mercure: If you want to read a theory about WHY people shop, rather than the shopkeeper's perspective on how to squeeze more money out of you, Miller's book is far more interesting.

English (23)  Danish (1)  All languages (24)
New job for anthropology majors! Enjoyed this on a personal level as well as its relevance for work. ( )
  beebeereads | Feb 11, 2017 |
Super informative perspective from a marketer. ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 8, 2016 |
Parts of this book - the part where the author WASN'T repeatedly reminding us about how amazing and brilliant his company is - were pretty interesting.

They were also few and far between. ( )
  ratastrophe | Aug 15, 2014 |
"Why We Buy" is a classic about how we shop and how that's changing around the world. It is charmingly told from the perspective of Underhill and his colleagues, who work as professional shopping researchers that snoop, watch and analyze shopping behavior for brands around the world.

Despite its sensationalistic title, "Why We Buy" contains many great nuggets of research and is a joy to read; it's definitely changed the way I think about my retail experiences. In addition, I should mention that two friends of mine recommended this to me as a book about digital design and user experience, which absolutely makes sense in an oblique way :) ( )
  jasonli | Aug 11, 2014 |
I guess his point is good, that we miss the obvious...but repeatedly stated in such a 'tada!' manner that makes you want to dislike him very much. ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,624,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible