Wild Magic (Immortals #1) by Tamora Pierce

Wild Magic (Immortals #1) (original 1992; edition 1997)

by Tamora Pierce (Author)

Series: The Immortals Quartet {Tamora Pierce} (1), Tortall Universe (12 (The Immortals 1))

5,053711,669 (4.19)1 / 150
The mage Numair, the knight Alanna, and Queen Thayet enlist thirteen-year-old Daine's help to battle the dreadful immortal creatures that have recently begun to attack the kingdom of Tortall.
Member:Kanenas77
Title:Wild Magic (Immortals #1)
Authors:Tamora Pierce (Author)
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1997), 299 pages

Work Information

Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce (Author) (1992)

Oh my Goddess.

Tamora Pierce has always been one of those authors who whenever her name came up I felt a vague tugging like I was missing out on something that would be a Really, Really Big Deal to me, so to have that confirmed in such an immediate, overpowering way upon reading my first book by her is stirring feelings I don't quite have words for.

I have always wanted more fantasy (especially magic-focused fantasy) in my library, but the few times I've tried to get into fantasy I've been recommended epics with thick plots and paper-thin characters, and like... there's a REASON I think Lord of the Rings makes much better movies than it does books, y'all! So to have something THIS exactly what I'm looking for fall into my lap is really something else.

The way this book approaches magic is perfect, both in terms of how it mechanically works/feels AND in the way the ethics around it are presented. I would not be even slightly surprised if Pierce were a practicing Witch or some other kind of magic-user. Daine is a wonderful protagonist who is realistically struggling with some trauma and who isn't always perfect, but is surrounded by people who grow very quickly to care very much about her and very much want her to be okay and will go to great effort to help make sure she's in a space where that can happen, while ALSO recognizing her own value and not patronizing her, letting HER help THEM when she's able to, and it's just... it's just...! It's just SO. GOOD. It's just everything I want to see in the world in the form of a really good story and I love it so much.

(... shameful personal aside: I was definitely a lot more horny for Zhaneh Bitterclaws than I was supposed to be. I'm sorry! Her taunts are just so choice, and so dommy.)

So, yeah. This is something of a beginning for me because I just KNOW I'm going to devour the rest of her bibliography and love every second of it, and instead of being irritated that I missed the boat for so long I'll instead choose to be excited that A) I HAVE SO MUCH OF HER STUFF TO READ I'm like never gonna run out, and B) I have someone to gush about it to along the way!! ( )
2 vote MoonLibrary | Nov 11, 2021 |

MoonLibrary | Nov 11, 2021 |

MoonLibrary | Nov 2, 2021 |
Tamora Pierce has always been one of my favorite authors. I love her storytelling abilities and her characters. No matter who or what the story is about it always grips me from the first page to the last. I especially love her books that take place in Tortall. I love both Daine and Numair and I'm a great lover of animals so the Immortals series is not only one of my favorite Tamora Pierce series of all times it is also one of my favorite series period. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Really nice and light fantasy story.
A young girl, Daine, who can speak with animals, is hired by a Onua,who needs to move a herd of horses to a training center for the Queen's riders (basically soldiers on horses). On the way there, they pick up an injured magician, Numair, and are attacked by immortal monsters.
When they reach the training center, Daine stays and helps out with the horses as well as learning to control her magic with the help of Numair. Soon, the immortal monsters come back and they bring a lot of trouble with them.
Daine is a capable, likeable protagonist. The animals' thoughts were the most entertaining for me. The final battle was interesting and Daine was an important factor, which was great. I liked the way her relationship with the other humans around her developed, how she learned to trust them and to tell them her secrets. ( )
  queenphoria | Sep 21, 2021 |

Pierce, TamoraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen Jr., SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Tortall Universe (12 (The Immortals 1))

Belongs to Publisher Series

To Raquel Wolf-Sister and Tas Horse-Hearted
Who opened my heart to the songs of all the beasts
Each year, at the end of March, a great fair was held in Crîa, the capital of Galla.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,888,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible