Songs of the Dying Earth: Stories in Honour…

Songs of the Dying Earth: Stories in Honour of Jack Vance. Edited by… (edition 2011)

by George R. R. Martin (Author)

Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:Songs of the Dying Earth: Stories in Honour of Jack Vance. Edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois
Authors:George R. R. Martin (Author)
Info:Harper Voyager (2011), 512 pages

Songs of the Dying Earth by George R. R. Martin (Editor)

I probably should've realised that it'd be a good idea to read some Jack Vance before picking up this collection. But I didn't, and I only managed 160 pages before calling it a day. I understand that the stories are a homage to Vance and his particular style of writing but, unfortunately, it's a style that's not for me (especially when there's nearly 700 pages of it).

I did skip ahead to look at the stories by two of my favourite authors - Tad Williams and GRRM himself - but couldn't even finish those. I did, however, enjoy Neil Gaiman's story, which is fortunate as he's been on my to-read list for a long time.

This is probably one to avoid if you're unfamiliar with Vance or don't like a high-flown writing style in fantasy. ( )
  mooingzelda | Feb 16, 2017 |
Didn't read all of these. ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |

This is a collection of short stories set in the world of Jack Vance's Dying Earth, which I read and enjoyed back in 2004. The lineup of contributors was indeed amazing: Dan Simmons, Robert Silverberg, Elizabeth Moon, Elizabeth Bear, Neil Gaiman. (One sad reflection is that several of them - Kage Baker, Lucius Shepard, Tanith Lee - are no longer with us.) The quality of the stories, as Ian Whates reflected at the time, is a bit variable. This is pastiche rather than originality, and Vance's style in the Dying Earth stories is easy to pastiche. But they are almost all enjoyable enough (as it happens, I didn't particularly care for the John C. Wright one). Several others grabbed me, though: "The Copsy Door", by Terry Dowling, quoted above; "The Green Bird", by Kage Baker; "The Traditions of Karzh", by Paula Volsky; "Evillo the Uncunning", by Tanith Lee.

Basically, if you liked the original Vance stories, most of these will appeal. But if you don't know them, I think it would be a bit confusing. ( )
  nwhyte | Dec 11, 2016 |
Some excellent stories; some very good; All enjoyable!

Silly me ... I've never read ANY of Jack Vance's books, which seems backwards, but that's how I pick books from the library ... hunches, and serendipity.

Really enjoyed getting such a varied introduction to Vance's Dying Earth "universe" ... and yes, I will probably look up some of the original stories.

I'm holding on to the library book for a bit - so as to add more details in either this review, or to the book info here on Shelfari ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
This is a collection of short stories written in honor of Jack Vance, taking place on the Dying Earth. The contributors, most well known in the field of fantasy and science fiction, take up the flavor of his tales and either revisit some of his characters or introduce us to new ones in the same vein. In these stories nothing and no one is fully as he seems and fate has a way of turning sly triumph into unexpected defeat. Most of the stories fit in well with the original world in terms of characters and atmosphere. ( )
  sushicat | Jan 14, 2016 |

Williams, Walter JohnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wright, John C.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidd, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziem, FélixCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jack Vance, the maestro, with thanks for all the great tales, and for letting us play with your toys.

Return to the unique and evocative world of The Dying Earth in this tribute anthology featuring the most distinguished fantasists of our day. A dim place, ancient beyond knowledge. The sun is feeble and red. A million cities have fallen to dust. Here live a few thousand souls, dying, as the Earth dies beneath them. Just a few short decades remain to the long history of our world. At the last, science and magic are one, and there is evil on Earth, distilled by time ! Earth is dying. Half a century ago, Jack Vance created the world of the Dying Earth, and fantasy has never been the same. Now, for the first time, Jack has agreed to open this intriguing and darkly beautiful world to other fantasists, to play in as their very own. The list of twenty-two contributors eager to honour Jack Vance by writing for this anthology includes Neil Gaiman, Tad Williams, Elizabeth Hand, Tanith Lee, Dan Simmons, Robert Silverberg, and George R.R. Martin himself.

Today, in order to honor the magnificent career of Jack Vance, one unparalleled in achievement and impact, George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, with the full cooperation of Jack Vance, his family, and his agents, suggest a Jack Vance tribute anthology called Songs of the Dying Earth, to encourage the best of today's fantasy writers to return to the unique and evocative milieu of The Dying Earth, from which they and so many others have drawn so much inspiration, to create their own brand-new adventures in the world of Jack Vance s greatest novel. Half a century ago, Jack Vance created the world of The Dying Earth, and fantasy has never been the same. Now, for the first time ever, Jack has agreed to open this bizarre and darkly beautiful world to other fantasists, to play in as their very own. To say that other fantasy writers are excited by this prospect is a gross understatement; one has told us that he'd crawl through broken glass for the chance to write for the anthology, another that he'd gladly give up his right arm for the privilege that's the kind of regard in which Jack Vance and The Dying Earth are held by generations of his peers.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,770,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible