The Dark Tower V: Wolves Of The Calla by…

The Dark Tower V: Wolves Of The Calla (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Stephen King (Author)

Series: The Dark Tower (5)

Wolves of the Calla continues the adventures of Roland, the Last Gunslinger and survivor of a civilized world that has "moved on." Roland's quest is ka, an inevitable destiny -- to reach and perhaps save the Dark Tower, which stands at the center of everywhere and everywhen. This pursuit brings Roland, with the three others who've joined his quest to Calla Bryn Sturgis, a town in the shadow of Thunderclap, beyond which lies the Dark Tower. Before advancing, however, they must face the evil wolves of Thunderclap, who threaten to destroy the Calla by abducting its young.… (more)
Member:paul_titheridge
Title:The Dark Tower V: Wolves Of The Calla
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2003), Edition: First Edition, 640 pages
Tags:The Dark Tower

Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King (2003)

Recently added byprivate library, SamDelirium, MAR67, Arina42, Ralphd00d, Robbie350, Kristinajoy, BenTucker, MaudDapper
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (OscarWilde87, sturlington, Morteana)
    OscarWilde87: Not only is Father Callahan introduced as a character in Wolves of the Calla, but King's Salem's Lot (the work) is mentioned, quoted and integrated into the story.
    sturlington: Father Callahan first appears in Salem's Lot and makes an unexpected reappearance in the middle of the Dark Tower series.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (pbirch01)
    pbirch01: King borrows sneeches directly from Harry Potter, nice to have a bit of background on them.

English (123)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (130)
Grumble, grumble... 4th wall... GRUMBLE.

Otherwise this was fine, but not as good as some of the earlier ones. Hoping that the ending, when I get there, is satisfying. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
This book was a hard slog. I had to force myself through 700 pages or so of backstory of a character that we had not previously met and was unrelated to the story thus far. I was impatient to get back to the quest of Roland and his 'Ka Tet', which really didn't progress at all in this book. I only stuck at it (coming back to it after reading 2 or 3 other books in between) because some of the other Dark Tower books are so good you can't put them down. It's a pity these are so hit and miss, I am not convinced I will actually read the next one as I'm concerned it will be the same experience. ( )
  NickCosta | Jun 17, 2020 |
There are a few things that are taking up residence in my head that I can't get into here without blowing the lid off the series as a whole, but woooo-weeee, cowboy (or girl!) it's a doozy!

*giggles and rubs his hands together and is NOT at all surprised that the extended TV show that was supposed to DO THIS SERIES JUSTICE had been pulled*

So, who out there wants to see a wild mashup of westerns, fantasies, horrors, and science fiction?

*crickets*

What? Just me? No. Obviously not just me. But let's add one little detail, my friend number 19. Or should we also add my other friend 99? Or is it 1999? As in, we're gonna party like it's 1999? Or shall we draw back the curtain in the emerald tower and take a good long look at that Dodge Caravan?

Muahahahahahahaha

I LOVE a good in-joke. I especially love great popular references used by a great writer who is just as much a FAN of popular culture as he is a creator of so much of it. Gimmie that Snitch! Oh, it must have been made by this fellow named Harry Potter...

Honestly, I didn't really have ANY clue as to what this book was REALLY supposed to be about when I first picked it up years ago. A big battle on the way to the Dark Tower? Yeah, sure, it is that, but when you start making the world super thin and the todash keeps sending you to New York City and you wish you had a godlike florist to protect the universe from zombies, vampires, and thugs who terrorize bookstore owners, you've got to start wondering why the WOLVES on the edge of End-World are such a mystery. And they are.

And I cry beg your pardon, but I LOVE me a good cyborg, thank ye sai.

The first time I read this book, I thought it was pretty fine. A bit long in the tooth with padre Calahan, mayhap, but once I'm in on the joke, I like it ALL just fine, now.

Bravo, Mr. King. Bravo. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
3.5 on re-read. The intentional and obvious withholding of information from the reader got annoying at times. ( )
  ChristopherSwann | May 15, 2020 |
My 100th book of the year is done!

I'm not exactly sure why, but I enjoyed this more this time around than I did the first time.

I much prefer this narrator over Frank Muller. (At this end of this audio book, King himself speaks about Frank Muller and why he didn't continue narrating this series-it was due to a motorcycle accident in which he was seriously injured.

(Frank is part of the reason The Haven Foundation was created. It's to help independent authors, narrators and frelancers during times of catastrophe. ) To find out more, please click here: http://www.thehavenfdn.org/

I was sorry to hear about what happened, but I'm glad to have George Guidall back as narrator and I'm looking forward to listening to the next book. ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
Even bona fide Stephen King fans don't know quite what to make of "Wolves of the Calla," the hefty fifth installment of his epic, and seemingly endless, "Dark Tower" series.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Erica Noonan (Jan 15, 2004)

It's been more than six years since Stephen King's last full-length installment of his "Dark Tower" fantasy saga. A lot has happened to him, and to the publishing industry, in the meantime. The improbable tale he began as a 19-year-old college student has somehow morphed into a mammoth summation of his entire career.

FOR the last 33 years, Roland Deschain, Gunslinger of the line of Eld, he of Gilead-that-was, has been trekking across the desolate landscape of Mid-World, a sort of postapocalyptic second cousin to our own world. Roland is on a quest, of course; he is searching for the Dark Tower, a quasi-mythical edifice that holds together all of time and space -- his world and ours and all the others -- and is in danger of imminent collapse. What he carries with him may be even weightier than that: Stephen King's literary ambitions.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bergner, WulfÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wrightson, BernieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mister, we deal in lead." -- Steve McQueen, in The Magnificent Seven
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire." -- Roland Deschain, of Gilead
The blood that flows through you flows through me, when I look in any mirror, it's your face that I see. Take my hand, lean on me, We're almost free, Wandering boy. - Rodney Crowell
This book is for for Frank Muller, who hears the voices in my head.
Tian was blessed (though few farmers would have used such a word ) with three patches: River Field, where his family had grown rice since time out of mind; Roadside Field, where ka-Jaffords had grown sharproot, pumpkin, and corn for those same long years and generations; and Son of a Bitch, a thankless tract which mostly grew rocks, blisters, and busted hopes.

Wolves of the Calla is the fifth book in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. This book continues the story of Roland Deschain, Eddie Dean, Susannah Dean, Jake Chambers, and Oy as they make their way toward the Dark Tower.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,680,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible