Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, Book 5)…

Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, Book 5) (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Stephen King, Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator)

Series: The Dark Tower (5)

Wolves of the Calla continues the adventures of Roland, the Last Gunslinger and survivor of a civilized world that has "moved on." Roland's quest is ka, an inevitable destiny -- to reach and perhaps save the Dark Tower, which stands at the center of everywhere and everywhen. This pursuit brings Roland, with the three others who've joined his quest to Calla Bryn Sturgis, a town in the shadow of Thunderclap, beyond which lies the Dark Tower. Before advancing, however, they must face the evil wolves of Thunderclap, who threaten to destroy the Calla by abducting its young.… (more)
Member:craptastic
Title:Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, Book 5)
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator)
Info:Pocket (2006), Paperback, 960 pages

Work Information

Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King (2003)

Salem's Lot by Stephen King (OscarWilde87, sturlington, Morteana)
    OscarWilde87: Not only is Father Callahan introduced as a character in Wolves of the Calla, but King's Salem's Lot (the work) is mentioned, quoted and integrated into the story.
    sturlington: Father Callahan first appears in Salem's Lot and makes an unexpected reappearance in the middle of the Dark Tower series.
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (pbirch01)
    pbirch01: King borrows sneeches directly from Harry Potter, nice to have a bit of background on them.

Encaja en la historia, la vuelve mas rica en detalles, pero sentí que se quedo en una meseta de la que no pudo salir, me ha costado terminarlo por ese motivo.
Es una historia de relleno que pudo haberse acabado en muchas menos paginas.
Aun así los personajes siguen siendo interesantes bien armados, geniales, eso es lo que rescata este libro. ( )
  Enzokolis | Jan 17, 2022 |
I split up the read to go back and finish some other Dark Tower books, it didn't actually take me 11 months to read this book.

I did like it, i got it confused with "Wind through the keyhole" at first as they both start in a similar place (small farm town). I did enjoy the book as a whole - it's a bit like book 4. It has a lot of work up to a short ending, and the next book picks up right where this one ends.

It wasn't as interesting as other books and it doesn't seem like there was many large reveals but a good read nonetheless. ( )
  jhavens12 | Sep 1, 2021 |
Best of the series so far. ( )
  Drunken-Otter | Aug 20, 2021 |
At this point, I have a good idea what I’m getting into when I pick up one of Stephen King’s Dark Tower novels. The story will wander. It will take longer than it needs to. But it will also be chock full of originality. And in places, it will be nearly impossible to put down.

Wolves of the Calla, the fifth book in the series, lives up to all these expectations—and then some.

The opening chapter sets up a confrontation with the Wolves referenced in the book’s title, fearsome raiders who come to the village of Calla Bryn Sturgis once a generation to steal half its children. Those taken eventually return, but they’re “roont” (ruined), marred by gigantism and mental enfeeblement. Stopping the Wolves is tangential to the protagonists’ main goal: Roland, Eddie, Jake, and Susannah—the last “gunslingers”—seek the Dark Tower, the multiverse’s crumbling lynchpin. But King sets most of the novel in Calla Bryn Sturgis, and the story occasionally drags as our heroes investigate the village and lay their plans.

Things slow further when Father Callahan, a character from King’s (seemingly) independent novel Salem’s Lot, explains why he's now in Calla Bryn Sturgis. The tale involves alcoholism and vampires, spans several chapters, and isn’t immediately relevant to Wolves of the Calla. Callahan’s inclusion does get at King’s overarching premise, however: that all worlds, both real and imagined, are linked.

The good father also provides a plot device: near the end of his trek to Calla Bryn Sturgis, Callahan acquired Black Thirteen. This malevolent artifact allows Roland to open doors into different worlds. The gunslingers use these doors to revisit 1977 New York, Jake’s home and the site of a threat to the Dark Tower’s physical manifestation. Cutting back to New York weaves more connections between the story’s various worlds—as one reality bleeds into the next—but the extra threads don’t feel entirely necessary.

Oh, and while all this is happening, Susannah is dealing with a form of demonic possession that’s triggering her schizophrenia in particularly disturbing ways.

And yet… there’s lots to like here, despite (and often because of) the craziness. King creates a believable dialect for the villagers of Calla Bryn Sturgis. The gunslingers’ personalities all deepen in some way. Most elements of the world/universe feel fresh, even though King is fusing together a grab bag of genres and pop culture. And the final showdown with the Wolves is legitimately thrilling.

So: as I’ve also come to expect of a Dark Tower book, Wolves of the Calla is worth the journey, maddening as it can be sometimes. I’m in for the long haul with this series. If you like innovative writing, and have some time and patience on your hands, you should join me.

(For more reviews like this one, see www.nickwisseman.com) ( )
  nickwisseman | Jul 20, 2021 |
O herói Roland continua sua saga em direção à Torre Negra, centro de todo tempo e todo espaço. Neste volume da série, ele e seu grupo de pistoleiros vão parar na cidade de Calla, que está prestes a ser atacada pelos Lobos - cavaleiros mascarados que surgem uma vez a cada geração para roubar metade das crianças do local e devolvê-las semanas depois, física e mentalmente incapacitadas. Enquanto isso, na Nova York de 1977, a Corporação Sombra planeja atacar o terreno baldio onde floresce a Rosa, manifestação da Torre Negra no mundo atual.
  helders | Jul 17, 2021 |
Even bona fide Stephen King fans don't know quite what to make of "Wolves of the Calla," the hefty fifth installment of his epic, and seemingly endless, "Dark Tower" series.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Erica Noonan (Jan 15, 2004)

It's been more than six years since Stephen King's last full-length installment of his "Dark Tower" fantasy saga. A lot has happened to him, and to the publishing industry, in the meantime. The improbable tale he began as a 19-year-old college student has somehow morphed into a mammoth summation of his entire career.

FOR the last 33 years, Roland Deschain, Gunslinger of the line of Eld, he of Gilead-that-was, has been trekking across the desolate landscape of Mid-World, a sort of postapocalyptic second cousin to our own world. Roland is on a quest, of course; he is searching for the Dark Tower, a quasi-mythical edifice that holds together all of time and space -- his world and ours and all the others -- and is in danger of imminent collapse. What he carries with him may be even weightier than that: Stephen King's literary ambitions.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bergner, WulfÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wrightson, BernieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mister, we deal in lead." -- Steve McQueen, in The Magnificent Seven
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire." -- Roland Deschain, of Gilead
The blood that flows through you flows through me, when I look in any mirror, it's your face that I see. Take my hand, lean on me, We're almost free, Wandering boy. - Rodney Crowell
This book is for for Frank Muller, who hears the voices in my head.
Tian was blessed (though few farmers would have used such a word ) with three patches: River Field, where his family had grown rice since time out of mind; Roadside Field, where ka-Jaffords had grown sharproot, pumpkin, and corn for those same long years and generations; and Son of a Bitch, a thankless tract which mostly grew rocks, blisters, and busted hopes.

Wolves of the Calla is the fifth book in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. This book continues the story of Roland Deschain, Eddie Dean, Susannah Dean, Jake Chambers, and Oy as they make their way toward the Dark Tower.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,928,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible