The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla by…

The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Stephen King, Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator)

Member:sturlington
Title:The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Bernie Wrightson (Illustrator)
Info:Donald M. Grant (2003), First Trade Ed, Hardcover with dustjacket
Collections:Your library, Stephen King
Tags:2003, King, Dark Tower, series, 1ED

Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King (2003)

Salem's Lot by Stephen King (OscarWilde87, sturlington, Morteana)
    OscarWilde87: Not only is Father Callahan introduced as a character in Wolves of the Calla, but King's Salem's Lot (the work) is mentioned, quoted and integrated into the story.
    sturlington: Father Callahan first appears in Salem's Lot and makes an unexpected reappearance in the middle of the Dark Tower series.
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (pbirch01)
    pbirch01: King borrows sneeches directly from Harry Potter, nice to have a bit of background on them.

English (111)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (116)
Another Dark Tower Book down. It's taking a while to read these. I get sidetracked easily. I think it's because there just isn't enough action in them. They move to slowly. Once I made myself sit down and read more of it, it did get pretty interesting. It was a good story. I just needed to stick with it and not left myself get sidetracked. The next one sounds pretty good. Only 2 left! ( )
  kkranig | Sep 4, 2018 |
I can't describe what King's books do to me. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
In many ways, Wolves of the Calla feels like a filler book.

There's nothing wrong with that, mind you. I'm one of those people who watches Supernatural and says "Oh, thank goodness" when a filler episode pops on because they're always deeply interesting and besides they'll include small elements that will relevant later. Sometimes we need a break from the drama and to see another side of things! Wolves of the Calla is like that - it's interesting, it opens the world up a bit more, but you don't really feel the characters getting any closer to the Dark Tower.

The characters are really strong in this book - both the ka-tet and the new introductions. I love Jake, in particular, in this one. He finally gets the opportunity to act like a kid and have a friend and it's sort of his coming-of-age novel. It's interesting to see the child and the gunslinger battle in his thoughts. We're also introduced to Pere Callahan, whom you may have met before if you've read [book:'Salem's Lot|11590]. The reasons *why* King's recycling characters isn't all that clear in this novel, but it will reveal itself soon enough. Personally, I like Callahan better here than in his own story.

Overall - the Dark Tower series goes on. There's two books left in the series and as a reader I feel as though the pacing has really slowed down. You're still interested in the end game, but now it takes a bit more patience to trudge through. Typical Stephen King. ( )
  Morteana | Jun 7, 2018 |
YOOOOO!! READ THIS SERIES.
You know, I like Roland, but goddamn is the man a bit slow. I know, I know. Ka. Kaka I say, because you can still learn the ways you're gonna be skinned.

But about the book as a whole, The Wolves of the Calla has been a WONDERFUL read. I am reinvested, after the almost-to-slow drag of the 4th installment, and I am itching to read the 6th installment. And truly, the other characters who are in the novel--but no spoilers--are just...I love them. They may fit archetypes (this whole business with Ka makes me giggle sometimes, as if King is using it as an excuse to make characters behave this way or that, but on the whole it is very subtle), but there is real character growth and development as well. And this installment, of course, has more excitement than the previous installment, although it takes as long to build up. I am starting to get anxious, too, because the incidents are getting more complex as the group gets closer to the 'top level'.

I am definitely looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  m_mozeleski | May 13, 2018 |
First read: February, 2007. Still my favorite of the series and I'm really enjoying the audio version this time around. ( )
  JamieBH | Apr 3, 2018 |
Even bona fide Stephen King fans don't know quite what to make of "Wolves of the Calla," the hefty fifth installment of his epic, and seemingly endless, "Dark Tower" series.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Erica Noonan (Jan 15, 2004)

It's been more than six years since Stephen King's last full-length installment of his "Dark Tower" fantasy saga. A lot has happened to him, and to the publishing industry, in the meantime. The improbable tale he began as a 19-year-old college student has somehow morphed into a mammoth summation of his entire career.

FOR the last 33 years, Roland Deschain, Gunslinger of the line of Eld, he of Gilead-that-was, has been trekking across the desolate landscape of Mid-World, a sort of postapocalyptic second cousin to our own world. Roland is on a quest, of course; he is searching for the Dark Tower, a quasi-mythical edifice that holds together all of time and space -- his world and ours and all the others -- and is in danger of imminent collapse. What he carries with him may be even weightier than that: Stephen King's literary ambitions.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bergner, WulfÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wrightson, BernieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Mister, we deal in lead." -- Steve McQueen, in The Magnificent Seven
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire." -- Roland Deschain, of Gilead
The blood that flows through you flows through me, when I look in any mirror, it's your face that I see. Take my hand, lean on me, We're almost free, Wandering boy. - Rodney Crowell
This book is for for Frank Muller, who hears the voices in my head.
Tian was blessed (though few farmers would have used such a word ) with three patches: River Field, where his family had grown rice since time out of mind; Roadside Field, where ka-Jaffords had grown sharproot, pumpkin, and corn for those same long years and generations; and Son of a Bitch, a thankless tract which mostly grew rocks, blisters, and busted hopes.

Wolves of the Calla is the fifth book in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. This book continues the story of Roland Deschain, Eddie Dean, Susannah Dean, Jake Chambers, and Oy as they make their way toward the Dark Tower.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141651693X, Paperback)

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, the DARK TOWER series is unlike anything you have ever read.

Here is the fifth installment, "one of the strongest entries yet in what will surely be a master storyteller's magnum opus" (Locus).

Roland Deschain and his ka-tet are bearing southeast through the forests of Mid-World on their quest for the Dark Tower. Their path takes them to the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis. But beyond the tranquil farm town, the ground rises to the hulking darkness of Thunderclap, the source of a terrible affliction that is stealing the town's soul. The wolves of Thunderclap and their unspeakable depredation are coming. To resist them is to risk all, but these are odds the gunslingers are used to. Their guns, however, will not be enough....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:05 -0400)

Wolves of the Calla continues the adventures of Roland, the Last Gunslinger and survivor of a civilized world that has "moved on." Roland's quest is ka, an inevitable destiny -- to reach and perhaps save the Dark Tower, which stands at the center of everywhere and everywhen. This pursuit brings Roland, with the three others who've joined his quest to Calla Bryn Sturgis, a town in the shadow of Thunderclap, beyond which lies the Dark Tower. Before advancing, however, they must face the evil wolves of Thunderclap, who threaten to destroy the Calla by abducting its young.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,291,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible