Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Der Bro Code: Das Buch zur TV-Serie How I…

Der Bro Code: Das Buch zur TV-Serie "How I met your Mother" (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Matt Kuhn, Barney Stinson, Matt Kuhn (Author), Barney Stinson (Author)

"Everyone's life is governed by an internal code of conduct. Some call it morality. Others call it religion. But Bros in the know call this holy grail the Bro Code. Historically a spoken tradition passed from one generation to the next, the official code of conduct for Bros appears here in its published form for the first time ever. By upholding the tenets of this sacred and legendary document, any dude can learn to achieve Bro-dom."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)
Member:Normara
Title:Der Bro Code: Das Buch zur TV-Serie "How I met your Mother"
Authors:Matt Kuhn
Other authors:Barney Stinson, Matt Kuhn (Author), Barney Stinson (Author)
Info:Riva (2010), Taschenbuch, 200 Seiten

Work Information

The Bro Code by Barney Stinson (2008)

English (15)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (17)
It's what could be a funny aside joke stretched to a book (booklet, pamphlet?) and bled absolutely dry. Repetitive and not very imaginative - nothing will surprise you. ( )
  Paul_S | Dec 23, 2020 |
I picked this up to see if I could safely rec it for high school boys. I've never seen How I Met Your Mother, but I still really, really laughed at this. A lot. It is deliciously feminist in its complete and total embrace of sexism. Um. That sentence might not make a lot of sense, but I can't really think of a way to phrase it better.

Honestly, it's so perfectly over the top. Read it. It will take you almost no time at all to get through, and you'll run into lines like this: A Bro is under no obligation to open a door for anyone. If women insist on having their own professional basketball league, then they can open their own doors. Honestly, they're not that heavy.

The only downside? You'll walk around for a few hours after you put it down adding the prefix bro- to every other word you think.

bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
Completely tongue-in-cheek, of course, I really enjoyed this testament to manliness. I laughed, I cried, I actually decided to watch the tv series because I read this book. What a strange world we live in. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Really funny in some places ("the Spartan seamen broke through the Trojan barrier"), if you can get into a machismo state of mind. Not recommended to be read in one sitting, because although you're aware it's humor, it gets kinda disgusting. It'd be cooler if NPH offered up a code or two, but that's just wishful thinking. The illustrations and formulas, and even the blurbs were a nice touch. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
This book is funny for exactly as long as you can hear Barney Stinson's voice in your head reading along with you. For me, the limit was about ten pages at a time. Once Neil Patrick Harris stops lending his humor and charm to the word, you realize how awful the content really is. I wouldn't be surprised if Tucker Max was the ghostwriter, except most of it is simultaneously more offensive and less creative than Max's usual misogynistic crap out there. So I'd put the book down in disgust... But then twelve hours later, Barney's voice would return and I'd chuckle at the next ten pages. Oh, that Barney! Tee hee.

But there is absolutely no excuse for the fact that Broccasion (Bro Occasion, because it's The Bro Code and so it's clever) is twice spelled Brocassion. Ugh. Except apparently a Bro never spellchecks, so maybe the misspellings were just an unintentional illustration if The Code in action. In which case, still ugh. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
For me, the best Bro I know
Whether we know it or not, each of us lives a life governed by an internalized code of conduct. Some call it morality. Other call it religion. I call it "the Bro Code."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,339,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible