Fool: A Novel by Christopher Moore

Fool: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Christopher Moore

Pocket, King Lear's fool, sets out to straighten out the mess the mad king has made of the kingdom and the royal family, only to discover the truth about his own heritage.
Member:terihuff39
Title:Fool: A Novel
Authors:Christopher Moore
Info:William Morrow (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 311 pages
Rating:*****

Fool: A Novel by Christopher Moore

King Lear by William Shakespeare (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you haven't read (or seen) King Lear you won't get about 1/2 the jokes.
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (TheBoltChick)
    A Thousand Acres: A Novel by Jane Smiley (Othemts)
    Othemts: A Lear by any other name.
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)

English (164)  German (1)  All languages (165)
Great read. :) ( )
  AnnieSeiler | Dec 22, 2019 |
This is my favorite Christopher Moore. Of course, if you've talked to me about him before, then you've heard me say that... about The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror]... and about Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal... and possibly about another book of his. The trouble with Moore is that whichever book of his I've read most recently is my absolute favorite Christopher Moore. ( )
  Zoes_Human | May 18, 2019 |
  Zoes_Human | May 18, 2019 |
Bawdy Shakespearianesque satire is one of the weirder things I've had to say to describe a book, but it was funny and cheeky in the best way! ( )
  Bricker | Apr 29, 2019 |
I have heard much about Christopher Moore’s send-up of the bible, however, I couldn’t find a copy of Lamb at the library, so I picked this, a send-up of King Lear instead. There is no love lost between King Lear and I, so I certainly wasn’t offended, however, while Moore is amusing, honestly, I think he’d be more amusing with his hands on something original, not with one of the most beloved works of literature ever. ( )
  thepentheink | Jan 8, 2019 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morton, EuanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

"Tosser!" cried the raven.
There's always a bloody raven.
Hung like an ox, Drool is - I suspect you'd extrude stools untapered for a fortnight
once Drool's laid the bugger to ya'.
Thus muted, I pumped my codpiece at the duke and tried to force a fart, but my bum trumpet could find no note.

"This is a bawdy tale. Herein you will find gratuitous shagging, murder, spanking, maiming, treason, and heretofore unexplored heights of vulgarity and profanity, as well as nontraditional grammar, split infinitives, and the odd wank . . . If that's the sort of thing you think you might enjoy, then you have happened upon the perfect story!"

Verily speaks Christopher Moore, much beloved scrivener and peerless literary jester, who hath writteneth much that is of grand wit and belly-busting mirth, including such laurelled bestsellers of the Times of Olde Newe Yorke as Lamb, A Dirty Job, and You Suck (no offense). Now he takes on no less than the legendary Bard himself (with the utmost humility and respect) in a twisted and insanely funny tale of a moronic monarch and his deceitful daughters—a rousing story of plots, subplots, counterplots, betrayals, war, revenge, bared bosoms, unbridled lust . . . and a ghost (there's always a bloody ghost), as seen through the eyes of a man wearing a codpiece and bells on his head.

Fool

A man of infinite jest, Pocket has been Lear's cherished fool for years, from the time the king's grown daughters—selfish, scheming Goneril, sadistic (but erotic-fantasy-grade-hot) Regan, and sweet, loyal Cordelia—were mere girls. So naturally Pocket is at his brainless, elderly liege's side when Lear—at the insidious urging of Edmund, the bastard (in every way imaginable) son of the Earl of Gloucester—demands that his kids swear their undying love and devotion before a collection of assembled guests. Of course Goneril and Regan are only too happy to brownnose Dad. But Cordelia believes that her father's request is kind of . . . well . . . stupid, and her blunt honesty ends up costing her her rightful share of the kingdom and earns her a banishment to boot.

Well, now the bangers and mash have really hit the fan. The whole damn country's about to go to hell in a handbasket because of a stubborn old fart's wounded pride. And the only person who can possibly make things right . . . is Pocket, a small and slight clown with a biting sense of humor. He's already managed to sidestep catastrophe (and the vengeful blades of many an offended nobleman) on numerous occasions, using his razor-sharp mind, rapier wit . . . and the equally well-honed daggers he keeps conveniently hidden behind his back. Now he's going to have to do some very fancy maneuvering—cast some spells, incite a few assassinations, start a war or two (the usual stuff)—to get Cordelia back into Daddy Lear's good graces, to derail the fiendish power plays of Cordelia's twisted sisters, to rescue his gigantic, gigantically dim, and always randy friend and apprentice fool, Drool, from repeated beatings . . . and to shag every lusciously shaggable wench who's amenable to shagging along the way.

Pocket may be a fool . . . but he's definitely not an idiot.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Christopher Moore's book Fool was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,602,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible