The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (edition 2009)

by Carrie Ryan

3,5323602,307 (3.6)1 / 226
Through twists and turns of fate, orphaned Mary seeks knowledge of life, love, and especially what lies beyond her walled village and the surrounding forest, where dwell the Unconsecrated, aggressive flesh-eating people who were once dead.
Member:titania86
Title:The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Authors:Carrie Ryan
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Read :), Reviewed, Signed books, Owned, Blog Wins & Gifts
Rating:****1/2
Tags:teen, zombie

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Recently added byrena75, Jocelyn73c, wildermirth, doyoudogear, smiteme, ichosethis, private library
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ahstrick)
    Boneshaker by Cherie Priest (ahstrick, andreablythe)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (jlparent)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Anonymous user)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Tanglewood)
    The Reapers Are the Angels: A Novel by Alden Bell (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Zombies galore - beginnings and endings at the ocean.
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (kqueue)
    kqueue: Also a grim, dark, violent post-apocalyptic tale.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (ahstrick)
    The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda (Friederike.Geissler)
    Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: The apocalyptic/tragic plot is quite similar, though one has zombies and the other has a homicidal moon.
    Hollowland by Amanda Hocking (clif_hiker)

English (360)  German (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (363)
DNF around 15%. My hold on THE GIRL WHO TAKES AN EYE FOR AN EYE came in not long after I started this book...seeing as I was already struggling with it, I very quickly set it aside, never to return. I thought it would make a creepy Halloween read, but, eh, not so much.
  smiteme | Oct 15, 2019 |
Ugh, I hate books that just collapse under the weight of their own metaphor. If the simple reality of your story isn't enough to carry it through, then you don't have a good story. The Forest of Hands and Teeth is so bogged down in metaphor that it sacrifices good tale-telling for "meaning"... and a main character who is, consequently, detestable. Without metaphor, Mary's determination to reach the ocean at any cost is childish and selfish to a horrifying degree. By the end I felt as though both the protagonist and the book itself failed to grow up and take real responsibility for themselves. ( )
  Jeeps | Sep 21, 2019 |
We are our own memory-keepers, and we have failed ourselves.
Honestly, I lowkey hated the first two thirds of this. It was dreadful. Dreadful isn't even the right word for it. It was like a soap opera set in a middle school being relayed to you on the cringest tumblr account imaginable. It was a time capsule from 2009. #10yearchallenge to the extreme. There was no personality. The atmosphere was minimal. Not a single character had a personality. The passing of time as imperceptible -- months passed and I hadn't even known it was a new day. The "love story" is almost nonsensical. Their attraction is explained through exposition and the tension consists of the two of them sitting next to each other. How riveting. Just like the 6th grade. It was just a little bit mind-numbing.

This was written similarly to Lois Lowry's The Giver, and while I love most of her work, I admit that she's has a pretty boring style. It works for middle grade but not really for YA.

However! The last third was actually pretty darn good. It actually got just a little bit meta and started criticizing its own faults, analyzing its own characters and asking them, "what even are your motivations?" It's a little bad that it even had to do that, but at least I got some substance out of this.

The last part had a lot of tension, a lot of atmosphere, and even made me cry a little. Some of the characters did things that made no sense given their crappy characterization, but it was still pretty okay. I was surprised how it ended, and actually really appreciated how it subverted some tropes.

That's just the way life is. Some days you wake up and the beach is clear and you forget about everything that surrounds us. And some days you wake up and it looks like this. That's the nature of the tides.
Read this review and more on my blog here! ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jul 28, 2019 |
I almost stopped reading this a third of the way through, but I decided to finish it. I became attached enough to the characters to read the next one in the series, so it finished stronger than it started. Not a rock star story, but they can't all be I guess. ( )
  Awill424 | Jun 9, 2019 |
This is an interesting counterpoint to World War Z - The humans didn't win and generations have lived in a religious enclave, surrounded by wire link fences. Mary dreams of finding a way to the ocean that her mother used to tell her about. There is lots of teenage love melodrama and gruesome death - as a zombie story should be. I'll be keeping an eye out for the sequel... ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
The story is riveting, even though it leaves a lot of questions to be explained in the sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Debra Banna

Carrie Ryanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Millon, VaneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to jp

for giving me the world
My mother used to tell me about the ocean.

Mary habite un village entouré d'une clôture. Derrière, les Damnés, revenus de la mort, rôdent dans la forêt, avides de chair humaine... Comment franchir la Forêt des Damnés ?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,818,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible