The Folklore of Discworld by Terry Pratchett

The Folklore of Discworld (2008)

by Terry Pratchett, Jacqueline Simpson

Other authors: Paul Kidby (Illustrator), Paul Kidby (Cover artist)

Series: Discworld (Companion)

6032016,217 (3.9)27

This is an entertaining quick trip back to the Discworld with lots of references back to other parts of the multiverse, with emphasis on Earth. It's fascinating how much straight leakage there is between worlds! ( )
  2wonderY | Aug 30, 2017 |
An interesting look at the folklore underlying the Discworld series of books. Worth a read to get a glimpse into the traditions and characters underlying the stories. ( )
  MerkabaZA | Jun 12, 2017 |
This felt like a book without an audience. You need to be very familiar with the discworld to get the most out of those sections but if you are there will be nothing new. On the other hand if you have any interest in historical folk tales you wont get much out of the book either as there isn't much time or depth spent on the original tales. The book overstays it's welcome and seems a bit pointless overall. ( )
  bhutton | Dec 5, 2016 |
I was expecting something like the Science of Discworl, but this was even more entertainingly informative. It goes through the different legends and folk practices of the Disc, and talks about similar things that are found in our world. There's no plot, it's more of an ethnography and etymology. I know a fair bit about Earth folklore, but Pratchett has a different and deeper background. All the English mythology and urban legends that I just have never encountered are woven into the fabric of Discworld. And this book, with help from a real folklore expert, explains all the "real legends" I missed in my reading. Also, the conversation with Pratchett himself at the end of the audiobook was excellent. So brilliant. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
I'm a fan of both Terry Pratchett and folklore. I definitely learnt some things, but also knew quite a lot of it already, which perhaps reflects the four star rating rather than the five one might otherwise expect given my stated interests.

You don't need to have read all the discworld novels to get this book, but you do need to be a discworld reader or a large chunk of it will be lost on you. This book is a reference list that explains how earth's folklore (primarily British, but not exclusively so) has influenced the stories, and it comes with a really good index at the back. So you could have it on the side when reading through the various discworld books to look up the bits you weren't sure of. However, it works best on the novels set outside Ankh-Morpork. From memory the most referenced are Pyramids, Sourcery, Hogfather, Lords and Ladies, Soul Music, Monstrous Regiment and the Tiffany Aching books.

Another word on spoilers. Although there are a good number of quoted sections and explanations of references I don't think any of these directly related to the main plots of the stories. However, you might want to read the actual Discworld books before reading this one. You'll enjoy it all the more for being familiar with the stories. ( )
  jmkemp | Jul 5, 2016 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Simpson, Jacquelinemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, Michael FentonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Very vast is the expanding rubber sheet of the space-time continuum. Should we not call it infinite?

Terry Pratchett joins up with a leading folklorist to reveal the legends, myths and customs of Discworld, together with helpful hints from Planet Earth.

Most of us grew up having always known when to touch wood or cross our fingers, and what happens when a princess kisses a frog or a boy pulls a sword from a stone, yet sadly some of these things are beginning to be forgotten. Legends, myths, and fairy tales: our world is made up of the stories we told ourselves about where we came from and how we got here. It is the same on Discworld, except that beings, which on Earth are creatures of the imagination — like vampires, trolls, witches and, possibly, gods — are real, alive and, in some cases kicking, on the Disc.

In The Folklore of Discworld, Terry Pratchett teams up with leading British folklorist Jacqueline Simpson to take an irreverent yet illuminating look at the living myths and folklore that are reflected, celebrated and affectionately libelled in the uniquely imaginative universe of Discworld.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

Terry Pratchett teams up with leading British folklorist Jacqueline Simpson to give an irreverent yet illuminating look at the living myths and folklore that are reflected, celebrated and affectionately libelled in the uniquely imaginative universe of Discworld.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,642,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible