Breaking Dawn (2008)

by Stephenie Meyer

Series: Twilight Saga (4)

34,680100648 (3.7)2 / 204
Although eighteen-year-old Bella joins the dark but seductive world of the immortals by marrying Edward the vampire, her connection to the powerful werewolf Jacob remains unsevered.
    Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw, spanishgodess)
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (Jenson_AKA_DL, Rachook)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you're looking for more vampire stories, I'd suggest this one!
    Twilight / New Moon / Eclipse / Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (amybroad25)
    amybroad25: Amazing books Could not put any of them down Hoping that she will write another one about Bella and Edwards daughter renesmee
    Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (gamermom2004)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (titania86)
    Book of Shadows by Cate Tiernan (mgcdreamer13)
    The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)
    Night World No. 1: Secret Vampire / Daughters of Darkness / Spellbinder by L. J. Smith (_Zoe_)
    A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (goodiegoodie)
    Not Safe for Vampires by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: Thomas Watson becomes a vampire during the Civil War. The YA fantasy fiction novel NOT SAFE FOR VAMPIRES is a good read. It is only 128 pages, but it is not light reading, You really have to follow the beginning - once you understand the style of writing (there are flashback scenes) you will really enjoy the journey. The story is filled with history. For example, Africatown and the Clotilde ship are a real part of history (I googled it). Also, the character Captain Thomas Watson was really a soldier for the Union Army. I believe you will enjoy this book and add it to your library as well.… (more)

English (973)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (1)  Eskimo languages (1)  All languages (1,003)
hb
  5083mitzi | Mar 13, 2021 |
Thank goodness the whole wretched thing is over. ( )
  ColourfulThreads | Feb 18, 2021 |
So I finally finished the series. I had to take a break between Eclipse and Breaking Dawn because I disliked Eclipse so much, but hated the idea of not finishing the series. My thoughts on Breaking Dawn are- it’s the end, and that’s pretty much all I can say.
I’ll admit that in between picking up BD again, I read many, many reviews and I totally agree with most of them. She broke cannon and made this book a happy ending, which is fine, but the way she did so was horrible.
I had so many issues with the book I don’t know where to start:
1. 2000 pages and no sex. I know it’s YA, but that part pissed me off. Pages and pages of sexual tension and all we get is the aftermath and some shredded pillows. That kind of ruined things for me there.
2. The whole pregnancy things was just off and misplaced
3. The whole anti-abortion plug was kind of annoying. I loved how two books ago (or a few months) she couldn’t fathom getting married and then she became all gung-ho about having a baby. I know things change when you get married, but with her previous shallowness and actions, I doubt we would get that from Bella.
4. I loved Jacob in New Moon and while it was refreshing to get a new perspective, the part from Jacob’s point of view annoyed me to no end. I began to dislike Jacob more and more as I continued reading

5. Reading the “packs” thoughts in italics was even more annoying than not getting any Vampire sex.
6. Renesemme= Fugly.
7. The imprinting- disturbing on so many levels and not just the pedophile label. I found the imprinting of Quil and Claire just as nasty. Earlier when Quil was “playing” with Claire in her two year old voice, I just wanted to vomit. Reading about Renesmee feeding off of Jacob gave me the same reaction. There was absolutely no reason to include such ridiculousness in this book.
8. I was very disappointed that it ended so “happy”. SO much was set up for this to be a great book/ending and then it just fell flat
9. It was a little boring and did not need to be 754 pages. It wasn’t worth it.
In the end, I finished and stand my by previous reviews. Twilight was the Best- New moon was Good and Eclipse is still one of the most G-d awful books I’ve ever read. Breaking Dawn comes pretty far ahead of Eclipse. It was ok- a sucky ending, like SM just wanted to finish the series, but it’s over. At least once the New Moon movie comes out, I can forget about the entire series.
1 vote sunshine608 | Feb 2, 2021 |
You have to buy the entire saga. It's horrible. You love it. You read it. You make fun of it. You embarrass yourself. You read it again. You accept what you've become. Buy it! ( )
  Musaib03 | Jan 28, 2021 |
So this book was very similar to the other books in the series and I have the same problems with it...great story, BLOATED book. My favorite characters are the Volturi because as soon as they show up the story picks up and no more endless descriptions of Edward and Bella and Bella and Edward and Bella and Jacob and Jacob and Bella and Edward and Jacob...they are even more drawn out than this sentence!! When I think about her insane desire to over describe everything I am reminded of the first Star Wars (not a New Hope). I think of Jar Jar Binks and how dang annoying he is...how could George Lucas not have seen what a mess of a character he was and how people cannot even enjoy the very few good aspects of the movie because all they can think is kill Jar Jar, kill Jar Jar. Meyers seems to be suffering from this. My guess is she has her idea of who these people are. As the author she has probably had this story in her head for years, running it over and over again. After awhile you become desensitized to initial perception of the characters and start to overdo it to make sure everyone understands them because it took you years to do so. George Lucas probably spent so much CGI time with Jar Jar that he didn't realize how annoying he really was. Meyers doesn't realize that we don't need to hear over and over again about Bells and Edward and their special moments. It was so blah that I just started skipping pages and paragraphs to get though all the blah...on the plus side it should make the movies very easy to write because you can literally eliminate 2/3 of every book by doing one or two scenes:) First 100 pages good...find out the little surprise in the middle...the last 3/4 of the book is excellent! ( )
  mcsp | Jan 25, 2021 |
And so the pabulum slips down, spoonful by spoonful, with every now and then a neat idea, an unspoken hint of untold perversity, an almost subliminal flash of something nasty.

Over 754 pages, the answers come almost too easily, but not quickly.

I hope no one takes this review to offense, so here I go.
I thought this book was completely insane, rambling, and irrelevant. Period. So much of this book was just fluff and not enough action like how I think a Vampire book should be about. Sure, the book has it’s good points like Jacob finally coming to terms with his power of an Alpha wolf and Bella finally being transformed into a beautiful vampire. Then again there are so many things t hat don’t make sense and leave me wanting more, but not in the good way because I know that’s the end of that.
Here are my list of problems:
1) Bella’s baby is a super genius with the power to talk through thoughts and images. Now that’s a pretty cool power if you ask me, but it has an adult mind. Not to mention that it has an earsplitting name which I don’t feel like typing out. This very baby is also the center of Jacob’s new infatuation. Please, ignore that he was completely and utterly obsessively in love with Bella for the first three books! Now he’s got an infant to be romantically involved with! Just….ew.
2) Bella is also super perfect as a vampire. Even as a human, Bella defied logic as a person with real emotions or tendencies. I mean, she goes out with a vampire who wants to drink her blood like heroine, hangs out with potentially dangerous werewolves, marries a vampire, gets pregnant, and now she gets turned into one. As a vampire she can suppress her own cravings and has developed powers.
3) The fight scene was a let down! I mean, there was no fighting!
So, those are my thoughts. Feel free to object or argue
added by SPSVLibrary | editSPSVLibrary

Certain elements of BREAKING DAWN are perplexing, even off-putting --- particularly the scenes of sex, pregnancy and childbirth.

But it's nearly impossible to please everyone --- especially when so much of the series' drama has relied on the tension of Bella's choice between two very different but desirable lovers. Readers who are able, eventually, to gain some perspective will find much to redeem BREAKING DAWN, particularly its new insights into Jacob's inner life as well as its neat resolution to several of the series' pressing conflicts and its realistic (or at least as realistic as a vampire romance can get) portrayal of the complexities and joys of married life.

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hachmeister, SylkeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kadushin, IlyanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sánchez Raya, María JesúsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walters, MattNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age. The child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies.
Edna St. Vincent Millay (Book 1: Bella)
And yet, to say the truth, reason and love keep little company together nowadays.
>William Shakespeare "A Midsummer Night's Dream" Act III, Scene i (Book Two: Jacob)
Personal affection is a luxury you can have only after all your enemies are eliminated. Until then, everyone you love is a hostage, sapping your courage and corrumpting your judgment.
>Orson Scott Card "Empire" (Book Three: Bella)
This book is dedicated to my ninja/agent, Jodi Reamer.
Thank you for keeping me off the ledge.

And thanks also to my favorite band,
the very aptly named Muse,
for providing a saga's worth of inspiration.
I'd had more than my fair share of near-death experiences; it wasn't something you ever really got used to.
The days were not long enough for me to get my fill of adoring my daughter; the nights did not have enough hours to satisfy my need for Edward.

Hachette Book Group

3 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 031606792X, 031604461X, 0316067938

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,751,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible