Murder on the Prowl (1998)

by Rita Mae Brown, Sneaky Pie Brown (Author)

When a phony obituary for the headmaster of St. Elizabeth's School appears in the local newspaper, the people of Crozet, Virginia are surprised, but not too concerned. For a small town, Crozet has more than its share of mischief. But when a second fake obituary is followed by a murder, the police are baffled. Now Mrs. Murphy knows she must help Harry discover the killer.… (more)

3.5/5 stars
Guessable who-dunnit. Interesting style of murder-mystery with pets as the main sleuths.
Good time-pass read. Would be better to watch than read I think. ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
This book actually exceeded my expectations. I bought it at a second hand shop and expected it to be a low quality "paper" novel, but Rita Mae Brown is a pretty good writer.
The maid thing I didn't like about the novel was how they revealed the murderer. There weren't many clues for the reader and it was at the very end of the book so the characters didn't have any time to react. ( )
  LemonLover | Mar 4, 2012 |
#6 of the Mrs. Murphy mysteries set in North Carolina, featuring Mary Minor Haristeen (aka “Harry”) and her menagerie of pets—Mrs. Murphy the tiger-striped cat, Tucker the Welsh Corgi and Pewter, the fat cat formerly from the store next door. A cruel joke—two of Crozet’s citizens have an obituary published when they aren’t dead—is followed by murder as those same two men are killed. But why? Is it the same killer—and in which case, what ties the two men together?—or are the killings unrelated? Harry and the critters, from their base of operations at the Post Office, hear about almost everything going on in the small town. Still, it takes some sleuthing by the animals and a few pointed clues left for their human before the truth comes to light. I figured it out ahead of time, too, but still enjoyed this story a lot. It’s been years since I read one of these (in print) and I don’t know why I remembered the series as ‘cozy’ when they really aren’t. The reader did a wonderful job and while I’m not a big fan in general of mysteries laden with pets as main characters, I do like this series. This was a great re-introduction to the series for me and I hope to be able to find more of these in audio. ( )
  Spuddie | Oct 2, 2008 |

Rita Mae Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, Sneaky PieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Towns, like people, have souls.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,575,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible