The iron giant : a story in five nights by…

The iron giant : a story in five nights (original 1968; edition 1999)

by Ted Hughes, Andrew Davidson (Illustrator)

Series: The Iron Man (1)

The fearsome iron giant becomes a hero when he challenges a huge space monster.
Member:RegalKnieval
Title:The iron giant : a story in five nights
Authors:Ted Hughes
Other authors:Andrew Davidson (Illustrator)
Info:New York : Knopf : Distributed by Random House, 1999.

Work Information

The Iron Man by Ted Hughes (1968)

AKA the Iron Giant in the USA...

This book was an extremely popular story when I was in primary school and I was with the majority in liking it a lot. Nearly four decades on I can't quite figure out the appeal, besides the outlandish nature of the protagonist and antagonist and their unusual contest.

Now it seems obviously to be a serial bed-time story Hughes made up for his kids and then wrote down for publication, much as Ffangs the Vampire Bat and the Kiss of Truth is, but with at least a proper ending rather than just an abrupt halt.

I'm gonna guess that young enough kids still like it, though. ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
Great book to read to a kid. The prose is clean and the logic of the story makes perfect kid-sense. Writing something this clean is harder than it seems. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
This is one of my husband's favourite stories, which he has recently been reading to our son. Unfortunately I think he puffed it up a bit too much and I was expecting something truly amazing. It is good however, and I enjoyed the illustrations by Laura Carlin in this edition. The Iron Man at first causes havoc, but later saves the day. It has the air of a traditional folk tale about it, though I can't say exactly what makes it so. ( )
  eclecticdodo | Sep 1, 2016 |
Ted Hughes's The Iron Man served as the inspiration for the 1999 Warner Bros. film The Iron Giant. Hughes's story, originally published in 1968, features the titular Iron Man who terrorizes a town by eating their metal products, and the boy Hogarth, who finds a way to talk to him. Unlike the animated film, the story is set in Hughes's native England, and, though set around the time in which it was written, it contains a certain timeless quality that will appeal to all readers.
The second half of the book did not make it into the film, as a "space-bat-angel-dragon" appears out of a star that moved to just within the moon's orbit and lands on Australia, demanding humanity feed it living things or it will take it upon itself to devour cities. Naturally, the Iron Man fights it, but I won't go in to details in order to avoid spoiling his methods and the ending. Hughes's story, like the Cold War setting in the animated adaptation, serves as a message of peace in the face of war. The overall effect is one of a truly enjoyable children's book that, like its later adaptation, will live on as a classic for readers of all ages. ( )
1 vote DarthDeverell | Jul 6, 2016 |
We had this tale read to us at primary school and not long after I borrowed the book to read it myself. Think this would've been in 1985, though could've been a year either way.

I remember thinking it was cool when the Iron Man fell of a cliff, smashed to pieces, yet managed to reassemble himself.

Also remember him being tricked into a tight spot by humans who later seek his help when the space dragon (believe that this is one of several alternate choices for the creature's name) lands on Earth.

Whether or not "The Iron Man" would appeal to me as an adult I can't say, but it feels appropriate to rate the book five stars considering that I borrowed it after the teacher had read it to my class. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Dec 31, 2015 |

Ted Hughesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carlin, LauraIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mould, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

To Frieda, Nicholas and Shura
The Iron Man came to the top of the cliff.
This work is a book written by Ted Hughes, not the related movie "The Iron Giant" presented by Warner Bros. Pictures.

The fearsome iron giant becomes a hero when he challenges a huge space monster.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,486,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible