High Sierra [1941 film] by Raoul Walsh

High Sierra [1941 film] (1941)

by Raoul Walsh (Director), John Huston (Screenwriter)

Other authors: Humphrey Bogart (Actor), W.R. Burnett (Original novel), Alan Curtis, Joan Leslie (Actor), Ida Lupino (Actor)

Bogart plays a convicted killer sprung from jail by a mobster who wants him to assist in a California hotel holdup.

High Sierra (1941)

Donald MacBride – Big Mac
Barton MacLane – Jake Kranmer
Jerome Cowan – Healy
A most talented but anonymous dog – Pard

Screenplay by John Huston and W. R. Burnett, based on the novel (1940) by W. R. Burnett
Directed by Raoul Walsh

Black and white. 100 min.

=======================================

Red: They was just small-timers, not like us.
Babe: We wasn’t so big till this one. I don’t feel big.
Red: Roy feels big. That’s what counts.
Roy: Cut the gab and get going

Roy: Of all the 14 karat saps... Starting out on a caper with a woman and a dog.

This is the movie which reportedly made Humphrey Bogart a star. It is not much remembered these days for the simple reason that during the 1940s and the 1950s Bogie starred in a long string of classics much superior to this one. Yet, this movie still provides plenty of high-quality entertainment. Roy Earle is not your ordinary criminal. Bogie had done a great job with some unusually complex villains, for instance in Dead End (1937), but here he had a much richer and deeper character than ever before. Roy Earle is “no cream puff”, as Red rightly notes, and “rushing toward death” as Doc even more accurately observes, but there is also an unexpected tenderness and sensitivity about him, as you can see from the very beginning when he goes for a walk in the park immediately after he is released from prison. This kind side is unfortunately overdone in the Velma subplot, but the script does a better job with the strange romance between Roy and Marie. Bogie is excellent throughout, showing off subtlety he is seldom given credit for, and so is Ida Lupino (who receives top billing here). Plenty of fine supporting performances, especially by Arthur Kennedy, Henry Travers and an unnamed dog, and spectacular shooting on location, most notably at Mount Whitney for the famous final chase but also at various other places in California, make this movie quite a nice way to spend 100 minutes. It has aged well. Time cannot erase the wisdom of such lines:

I’ll never get myself shot up over money.

I wouldn’t give you two cents for a dame without a temper.

$500’s okay with me. When I need help, I need it bad, and I’m willing to pay for it.

As the Doc told you... if I don’t lay off this stuff, it’s gonna knock me off. But I’m gonna die, anyhow. So are you. So are we all.
  Waldstein | Jul 1, 2019 |
An ex-con gets in on a heist with an inexperienced crew.

Okay. It rambles aimlessly. The action scene, in the last few minutes, is pretty good. ( )
  comfypants | Apr 3, 2018 |

Walsh, RaoulDirectorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Huston, JohnScreenwritermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bogart, HumphreyActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burnett, W.R.Original novelsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curtis, Alansecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leslie, JoanActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lupino, IdaActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the sreenplay of "High Sierra" (Raoul Walsh, 1941) written by W. R. Burnett, and  John Huston, based in the novel of W.R. Burnett. Please, do not combine with the original novel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,780,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible