The Judas Strain by James Rollins

The Judas Strain (original 2007; edition 2009)

by James Rollins (Author)

Member:Sergeirocks
Title:The Judas Strain
Authors:James Rollins (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2009), Edition: Reprint, 703 pages
Collections:Group Read, Your library

The Judas Strain by James Rollins (2007)

English (35)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (37)
This is the 4th book of the Sigma Force and was a mixture of science and history of Marco Polo's trip to China. When a virus is threatening devastating results it is a race for the cure between the Guild and Sigma Force. The book takes us to Cambodia, Christmas Island and Istanbul with pirates, cannibals, crabs and squid which keep the book interesting and the plot moving forward with lots of action. The scientific explanations were hard to follow at times but flowed easier with the audio. The final cliffhanger makes you want to read the next book soon. I would recommend this series to those who love science, history and adventure. ( )
  EadieB | Oct 12, 2018 |
The book is way, way too long. I found myself counting the pages remaining...and believe me there were lots! Just when I was falling asleep the story would take off again and I'd be caught up. Overall... thanks to relentless action in spectacular places, great characters in the Sigma Force crew, and plenty of spurious science (again sometimes too much)...it all provided more than enough distraction from some almost unbelievable breathtaking coincidences and leaps of logic. ( )
  Carol420 | Oct 10, 2018 |
I've always liked Rollins' novels. They have plenty of historical facts with just a tinge of the supernatural to make a good story. The Judas Strain is no different, though the supernatural really doesn't come into play until the very end. Plenty of intrigue with this one, gun battles, hostages being tortured, escapes, some deaths. Of course the church has an involvement and the historical figures from the past are never quite what they seem. And the amazing part, is most of this does have a basis in historical fact. I can't say this is the best of Rollins, but it is worth the read if you enjoy his other work. ( )
  harpua | Aug 26, 2017 |
Apparently nightmares can be repeated, especially for Vigor Verona. Renovations to the highest tower of the Vatican (holding an overflow of ancient manuscripts) had begun two years ago, after a fiery incident had taken out the majority of the library and, at the time, Verona's current assistant Jakob. The Monsignor thought he had put the past behind him with the elusive Dragon Court. As renovations are nearing a finish, the head of the restoration team has asked Verona to witness an alarming discovery. The only man that could possibly help him is none other than Grayson Pierce. However, Pierce is reliving his own nightmare back home. A wolf in sheep's clothing has reappeared also seeking Pierce's help. Following clues from a buried historical trail, the race is on in this death match of Sigma vs. the Guild. The Guild has stolen an already commandeered cruise ship, forcing W.H.O workers and certain Sigma workers to do the brunt of investigating. Things go awry for the Guilded pirates, when Sigma fights back with their own secret weapon of myth, a sea witch. From page 1 you are dragged down the rabbit hole, and are unable to put the book down. One underlying tone encompasses the whole book for me. . ." Hello. . . .I want to play a game. Maaaaaaarcoooooo . . . . ." ( )
  mspoet569 | Mar 21, 2016 |
I liked this book overall, but not as much as I enjoyed Rollins' previous works. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
ju*das strain, n. A scientific term for an organism that drives an entire species to extinction.
"I have not told half of what I saw."

Marco Polo, on his deathbed
The pestilence came first to the town of Kaffa on the Black Sea. There the mighty Mongolian Tartars waged siege upon the Italian Genoese, merchants and traders. Plague struck the Mongol armies with burning boils and bloody expulsions. Struck with great malice, the Mongol lords used their siege catapults to cast their diseased dead over the Genoese walls, and spread plague in a litter of bodies and ruin. In the year of the incarnation of the Son of God 1347, the Genoese fled under sail in twelve galleys back to Italy, to the port of Messina, bringing the Black Death to our shores.

-- DUKE M. GIOVANNI (1356)

trans. by Reinhold Sebastien in Il Apocalypse

(Milan: A. Mondadori, 1924), 34-35
Why the bubonic plague suddenly arose out of China's Gobi desert during the Middle Ages and slew a third of the world's populaton remains unknown. In fact, no one knows why so many plagues and influenzas of the last century -- SARS, the Avian Flu -- have arisen out of Asia. But what is known with fair certainty: the next pandemic will arise again out of the East.

-- United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Compendium of Infectious Diseases, May 2006
To Carolyn McCray who read all my earliest scribblings and didn't laugh too much.
The screams had finally ceased.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060765380, Mass Market Paperback)

ju·das strain, n. A scientific term for an organism that drives an entire species to extinction

New York Times bestselling author James Rollins returns with a terrifying story of an ancient menace reborn to plague the modern world . . . and of an impossible hope that lies hidden in the most shocking place imaginable: within the language of angels.

From the depths of the Indian Ocean, a horrific plague has arisen to devastate humankind--a disease that's unknown, unstoppable . . . and deadly. But it is merely a harbinger of the doom that is to follow. Aboard a cruise liner transformed into a makeshift hospital, Dr. Lisa Cummings and Monk Kokkalis--operatives of SIGMA Force--search for answers to the bizarre affliction. But there are others with far less altruistic intentions. In a savage and sudden coup, terrorists hijack the vessel, turning a mercy ship into a floating bio-weapons lab.

A world away, SIGMA's Commander Gray Pierce thwarts the murderous schemes of a beautiful would-be killer who holds the first clue to the discovery of a possible cure. Pierce joins forces with the woman who wanted him dead, and together they embark upon an astonishing quest following the trail of the most fabled explorer in history: Marco Polo. But time is an enemy as a worldwide pandemic grows rapidly out of control. As a relentless madman dogs their every step, Gray and his unlikely ally are being pulled into an astonishing mystery buried deep in antiquity and in humanity's genetic code. And as the seconds tick closer to doomsday, Gray Pierce will realize he can truly trust no one, for any one of them could be . . . a Judas.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

A cruise ship becomes a floating bio-weapons lab when terrorists take over and use the plague that afflicts its passengers to create a worldwide pandemic. Sigma Force operatives race against time following the trail of a fabled explorer to crack the code of an astonishing mystery buried deep inantiquity and encoded in humanity's very genes.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,612,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible