Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Fight Club (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Chuck Palahniuk (Author)

Series: Fight Club (1)

The rise of a terrorist organization, led by a waiter who enjoys spitting in people's soup. He starts a fighting club, where men bash each other, and the club quickly gains in popularity. It becomes the springboard for a movement devoted to destruction for destruction's sake.
Member:CampionLibrarySTIG
Title:Fight Club
Authors:Chuck Palahniuk (Author)
Info:Vintage (1997)
Collections:Senior Fiction

Work Information

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (1996)

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis (sacredheartofthescen)
    sacredheartofthescen: Both about bored men in American society that found odd ways to fill their time and become what they want to be.
    Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Fight Club could be read as an updated rewriting of Steppenwolf, with Hermine replaced by Tyler Durden, and the dance hall transformed to the fight club. Maria becomes Marla, and the Magic Theater becomes Operation Mayhem.
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (arthurfrayn)
    Choke by Chuck Palahniuk (Ti99er)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Sylak)
    Sylak: A man unwittingly becomes involved in a surreal underworld parallel to his own.
    The Seven Madmen by Roberto Arlt (CarlosMcRey)
    CarlosMcRey: Like Palahniuk's Joe, Arlt's Remo Erdosain seeks salvation through depravity and self-destruction in the midst of an urban wasteland.
    Mr. Overby Is Falling by Nathan Tyree (catdog2)
    catdog2: similar themes
    Ghosted by Shaughnessy Bishop-Stall (Liffey)
    The Nightly News by Jonathan Hickman (FFortuna)
    A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen (Anonymous user)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (keristars)
    keristars: Palahniuk says in an afterword that Fight Club was intended to be similar to the Great Gatsby. In a way, it really is - there's a similar mood and sort of feeling of despair at modern society, though the Great Gatsby was written and occurs seventy years before Fight Club. The relationships between the primary three characters in each novel are also similar.… (more)

English (287)  Italian (5)  French (5)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (301)
I was impressed with how well this book had been captured by the movie. I was even more pleasantly surprised with the different ending. A good, twisted read that has convinced me to read more of his work. Oh, yeah, and it's another good read from my local library. ( )
  dcrampton | Apr 20, 2022 |
At times I find myself worrying that this might all just be shocking for the sake of it bullshit, but it's very well written whatever it is. Super tight prose and extremely compelling. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |

Now, this is a movie that was better than the book. I liked the book because it had some great quotes, but I think the movie took the best quotes from the book. ( )
  wellington299 | Feb 19, 2022 |
Dead. I'm never going to finish this. I got halfway through, and I don't really want to force myself to go further. I'm tired of feeling about how 'phony' these people are, I'm tired of hearing about how they're terrible to people around them, I'm tired of the descriptions of Tyler Durden's dick. Since I'm no longer in school, I don't have to force myself to finish something that I hate so much. ( )
  Tikimoof | Feb 17, 2022 |
This was unusual in that I rarely read the book after seeing the movie, especially a movie which I have seen so many times. Certainly, much of the dark satire around our consumer culture, our spiritual dissatisfaction and ennui-manifesting-as-violence felt like a more fresh idea when this book first emerged. But the societal ills still remain, so it still feels pretty relevant. Just replace IKEA with Facebook and I think the song remains the same.

I was impressed with how faithful the film was to the book, and intrigued by the differences (where Tyler met our protagonist, Marla's mom's ashes, the changing of "I am Joe's..." to "I am Jack's..." when going from page to screen).

The criticisms of Fight Club are, in many respects, fair. There's a lot of poseur machismo going on here, but I see it as a criticism of it rather than an attempt to cater to it. Yes, Tyler attacks "the system" and then goes on to create one of his own, but it's one he cant' stop, which I think is the message here. Even revolution eventually leads to hierarchy and structure. The big plot twist seems less so in the rear view mirror, but at the time I saw the film, I was too caught up in the message to see it coming. And a lot of the "message" may seem trite, but a lot of it still rings very true to me.

I've been warned I may not appreciate some of Palahniuk's other work ("Rant" is my next foray) but "Fight Club" works for me, if only because it stirs up a sense of unrest that I believe needs confronting. It serves not only as a warning as to where our culture continues to slouch toward, but also the fatal mistakes we can make if we don't consider the proper path in righting our course. ( )
1 vote TommyHousworth | Feb 5, 2022 |
A volatile, brilliantly creepy satire filled with esoteric tips for causing destruction, Fight Club marks Chuck Palahniuk's debut as a novelist. Ever wonder how to pollute a plumbing system with red dye, or inject an ATM machine with axle grease or vanilla pudding? Along with instructions for executing such quirky acts of urban terrorism, Fight Club offers diabolically sharp and funny writing.

This brilliant bit of nihilism succeeds where so many self-described transgressive novels do not: It's dangerous because it's so compelling.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews

Every generation frightens and unnerves its parents, and Palahniuk's first novel is gen X's most articulate assault yet on baby-boomer sensibilities. This is a dark and disturbing book that dials directly into youthful angst and will likely horrify the parents of teens and twentysomethings. It's also a powerful, and possibly brilliant, first novel.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Thomas Gaughan

Caustic, outrageous, bleakly funny, violent and always unsettling, Palahniuk's utterly original creation will make even the most jaded reader sit up and take notice.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly

Chuck Palahniukprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boomsma, GraaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colby, JamesReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinzel, FredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Carol Meader, who puts up with all my bad behavior.
Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler's pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die.
1. You don't talk about fight club.

2. You don't talk about fight club.

3. When someone says stop, or goes limp, even if he's just faking it, the fight is over.

4. Only two guys to a fight.

5. One fight at a time.

6. They fight without shirts or shoes.

7. The fights go on as long as they have to.

8. If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

– Fight Club, pages 48–50

"Don't think of it as extinction. Think of it as downsizing."
It was that morning that Tyler Durden invented Project Mayhem.
This is the novel, not the film or screenplay.

Many fight club rules.
Do not talk about fight club.
Wait... who is Tyler?
(hiddenpunk)
Where's Tyler Durden?
Every time I turn around
Seems he has just left.
(Carnophile)

4 1996

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393327345, 0393039765

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,691,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible