Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

Lullaby (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Chuck Palahniuk (Author)

Investigating Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, journalist Carl Streator finds the same anthology of poems and rhymes at each child's bedside. The book is always opened to a specific African chant--a culling song that kills when recited, whether silently or aloud. Suddenly, Carl's knowledge of the chant makes him an involuntary serial murderer and he must learn to control himself, then remove all copies of the book from libraries across the country.… (more)
Member:danisaur
Title:Lullaby
Authors:Chuck Palahniuk (Author)
Info:Anchor (2003), 272 pages

Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk (2002)

English (79)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (83)
15 year-old me thought this was a cool book. I insisted it was a cool book bc there was no way I would read a book that was dumb.

Chuck feels like the king of Edgy. Thank god after this book I went on to read books that my mum recommended to me. ( )
  lydia1879 | Feb 1, 2020 |
my guess - "Holy crap! I have to write a whole book by next Friday!" ( )
  Adammmmm | Sep 10, 2019 |
Chuck Palahniuk is overrated. It is no mystery that he's become a cliche, a shadow of himself by turning into the idolized kind of idiot that he tends to write about. Nowadays Palahniuk is the institution he preaches about. Previous reviews here have talked about hipsters, that is very true, too. Let's all go buy anything by Palahniuk... he understands.

Palahniuk wasn't the first person to use this style of writing, a kind of shock literature for the sake of shocking (i.e. his later books) or something so incredibly subversive that it makes you gasp out loud or faint (i.e. Haunted, the story Guts.)

All the same, Palahniuk is a good author. He tells a solid story that's chock-full of nihilist philosophy that should be more than enough to make any high school student feel brilliant and oh so trendy. It's full of philosophy that is interesting enough to make them start thinking, or at least most of the readers start thinking. It's solid enough plot-wise to make an entertaining read.

Coming at Palahniuk older, I no longer see the genius that I did before, but I do see a book that's entertaining enough to keep me reading -- I see a book that's clever enough to make me smirk as I do, and I read enough of the hardcore philosophy to make me consider some things.

My hat's off to Palahniuk, he's not the first not the last, not the worst and not the best, but man is he making a lot of money doing what he's doing.

Shine on you crazy bastard. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Aside from the morbid premise, several memorable characters and a compelling story make this a good read. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
A real estate agent who specializes in listing haunted houses. An international collection of nursery rhymes that contains an unexpected surprise. It's as though Chuck Palahniuk had two good story ideas, but something went wrong when he tried to combine them. The first few chapters are terrific and make you wonder "where is he going with all this cool stuff?" Turns out that I don't think Mr.Palahniuk had any idea where he was going. There's a lot of environmental awareness preachy-ness that works it's way in and there's a bunch of vandalism of antique furniture along the way, and whole sections on necrophilia that I could have done without. None of it ever combines into anything approaching a coherent whole, though. I'm generously giving it 3.5 stars because I get the feeling that I missed some key connections somewhere but I could easily be wrong, in which case 3 stars is about right. ( )
  5hrdrive | Dec 6, 2016 |

Uncu Irklı, FundaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vujačić, PetarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Goldmann (54219)
Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words will never hurt you.
I dedicate this book, with special thanks, to ...

Jason Cheung
Kyle McCormick
Dennis Widmyer
Amy Dalton
Kevin Kölsch

... who read my stuff when nobody read my stuff
At first, the new owner pretends he never looked at the living room floor.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,719,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible