Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book Five:…

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book Five: The Last Olympian (edition 2011)

by Rick Riordan (Author)

18,661374253 (4.36)1 / 266
The long-awaited prophecy surrounding Percy Jackson's sixteenth birthday unfolds as he leads an army of young demigods to stop Kronos in his advance on New York City, while the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster, Typhon.
Member:BooksMcG
Title:Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book Five: The Last Olympian
Authors:Rick Riordan (Author)
Info:Disney Hyperion (2011), Edition: Reprint, 432 pages

Work Information

The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 Hogwarts Express: The Last Olympian - spoilers!51 unread / 51lefty33, January 2010

Percy Jackson and the rest of the demigods have their final facedown with Kronos as he threatens to destroy Olympus and all of human civilization as we know it.

As a last book in a series (at the time of publication), this entry does everything you'd expect it to: has a major battle with the big bad of the series while also nicely tying of up character arcs for all of the individuals we've come to care for over the series. Riordan does a solid job (although I found the final battle carried on a little longer than I wanted - but I find fight sequences less interesting generally) while also adding enough of a tease for the next series set in this universe that I'll be reading more. ( )
  MickyFine | Feb 18, 2024 |
I liked the resolution with the various characters and their relationships, and was particularly satisfied with Rachel's new future. I also liked Hesta and how a traditional woman was shown to be the hero. ( )
  sanyamakadi | Feb 6, 2024 |
Great conclusion to the adventures that we've been following for these 5 books. I really appreciated all the callbacks and closing of arcs that happened here.

Character wise it was very worth it, all the main ones get to shine but every secondary character is fleshed out and they have their own story and purpose. I'd like to highlight Hestia, she really is the goddess of hearth.

I'm so glad that I started this saga: it's charming, fun and exciting. I'm looking forward to re-reading it and also to start the next chapter! ( )
  omseijas | Feb 3, 2024 |
Wow! What a rollercoaster of a ride this series has been. I have loved the Percy Jackson series since the moment my Mom asked for help in preparing a book report for my niece. The finale book is always the most bittersweet. While book two will be my main favorite, this last book in the Percy Jackson series has become my second favorite. The characters have grown since the beginning. We have watched Percy Jackson and his friends struggle through countless battles and challenges, and it has been an incredible journey.

The development of the characters throughout the series is one of the things I have loved the most. Percy himself has transformed from an unsure and inexperienced demigod to a true hero who is willing to sacrifice everything for his friends and the greater good. Annabeth has become a strong and independent young woman, and the friendship between Percy and Annabeth has grown into something truly special.

The final battle in this book is epic and intense. Rick Riordan has a way of writing action scenes that keep you on the edge of your seat, and this book is no exception. I was completely invested in the outcome and the fate of the characters I had come to love so much.

But with every high, there must also be a low. And that is why the ending of this series is bittersweet. While I am thrilled with the way everything wraps up and the resolution of the main plot, saying goodbye to these characters is hard. They have become like friends to me, and it's sad to know that their story has come to an end.

The Percy Jackson series has been a thrilling and unforgettable adventure. It has captured my imagination and taken me on a journey I will always cherish. I am grateful to Rick Riordan for creating such a rich and immersive world, and I know that I will revisit these books again and again. ( )
  Revengelyne | Jan 8, 2024 |
At this rate, I'll probably be reading everything by Rick Riordan. ( )
  soulforged | Jan 7, 2024 |
The action, never leisurely in any of the five books in the series, runs at a frantic pace here — monsters pop out with a rapidity that becomes almost predictable, except that they are so enjoyably hair-raising, and that Riordan has such clever ways of dispatching them.

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haefs, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rocco, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mrs. Pabst, my eighth grade English teacher, who started me on my journey as a writer.
The end of the world started when a pegasus landed on the hood of my car.
"The world will fall, the gods will die, and I will never achieve a perfect score on this stupid machine." (Dionysus)

All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of victory are grim. Kronos’s army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan’s power only grows.

While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it’s up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time.

In this momentous final book in the New York Times best-selling Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, the long-awaited prophecy surrounding Percy’s sixteenth birthday unfolds. And as the battle for Western civilization rages on the streets of Manhattan, Percy faces a terrifying suspicion that he may be fighting against his own fate.

Current Discussions

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,627,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible