Hedge Knight by George R.R. Martin

Hedge Knight (original 2007; edition 2007)

by George R.R. Martin, Ben Avery, Mike Miller (Illustrator)

Series: The Tales of Dunk and Egg (1 - graphic novel adaptation), The Tales of Dunk and Egg Comics

"Set one hundred years before the events in George R. R. Martin's epic fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire, The Hedge Knight graphic novel chronicles a young squire as he travels the cruel and complex path to knighthood in the Seven Kingdoms."--P. [4] of cover.
Member:luare
Title:Hedge Knight
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Other authors:Ben Avery, Mike Miller (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel (2007), Paperback, 168 pages
Collections:Wishlist

The Hedge Knight (Graphic Novel adaptation) by George R. R. Martin (2007)

English (44)  Dutch (1)  All languages (45)
I don't think I care for GRRM's prose in graphic novel form. I'd rather read the story of the Hedge Knight in its original format; the lackluster artwork did nothing for me. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
Series Info/Source: This is the first book in The Tales of Dunk and Egg, there are three graphic novels in this series. I borrowed this from the library.

Story (3/5): This follows the story of Dunk who was a squire to a Hedge Knight who passed away. Dunk is looking for a sponsor to become a Hedge Knight himself and compete in a tournament. However, when he defends a puppeteer from a noble's unwanted attention his very life is at stake.

This was okay. It’s basically “A Knight’s Tale” in comic book format, without the romance, and with a lot of random Game of Thrones characters I couldn’t remember. It’s a typical story of an underdog getting pulled into noble politics and coming out ahead. There is a ton of nobility from the main series pulled into here that I neither remembered nor care about. I ended up just scanning parts of this because I didn’t really care which noble did what.

Characters (3/5): Dunk is your typical underdog, he is exactly what you expect and doesn’t grow or change as a character throughout the book. I liked Egg a lot better, he was a lot more complex than Dunk. The rest of the side characters are various nobility that were forgettable. There are a couple other side characters that hold potential to be interesting (the puppeteer that Dunk likes being one) but they are very in the background in this book.

Setting (3/5): This is a very typical fantasy setting. Dunk and Egg journey through some generic fantasy woods and then end up at a jousting tournament.

Writing/Drawing Style (3/5): The drawing was well done but nothing unique, there is a decent amount of detail, good color and it’s easy to follow. The story was okay, pretty typical and nothing too exciting. As I mentioned above there are a ton of nobles from Game of Thrones in here and lots and lots of names thrown around that I just didn’t care about.

My Summary (3/5): Overall this okay but I would have been fine skipping it too. I don’t plan on continuing the series. If you are a die-hard Game of Thrones fan you might enjoy some of the background here. I personally thought there were way too many characters thrown in here that I didn’t care about. I also thought the story was really predictable, the setting was boring, and the characters were poorly developed. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 3, 2020 |
Was nice to come back to the world of Westeros in graphic novel form. I enjoyed the tale and the publication and form of the novel was terrific. Very much eager to read the next volume in The Hedge Knight series. ( )
  briandarvell | Aug 7, 2020 |
This was my introduction to GRRM, because I tend to be late to everything popular (and because the novels are SO VERY LONG and I am bad with commitment). All that aside, I thought this was an excellent graphic novel. The story feels complete (although I know there is a sequel), the art is perfect and I found myself invested in the characters and plot.

This is only just BARELY fantasy, so recommended for fans of medievalesque fiction as well.

4.5 stars ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
I am not normally a huge fan of graphic novels, but I really enjoyed this one. I am a big George R.R. Martin fan, and I had previously read The Hedge Knight novella. I thought this was a fantastic adaptation. It was true to the original and has some gorgeous artwork. I would recommend to any fans of A Song Of Ice And Fire. ( )
  queenofthebobs | Jan 3, 2020 |

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Avery, Bensecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, Mike S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

The Tales of Dunk and Egg (1 - graphic novel adaptation)
He had a long life.
Graphic novel version of The Hedge Knight, which is not originally a comics story but rather a prose novella.  Please do not mix this entry with those of "The Hedge Knight" proper, which has so far only been published as part of various anthologies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,399,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible