Heat by Mike Lupica

Heat (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Mike Lupica

Pitching prodigy Michael Arroyo is on the run from social services after being banned from playing Little League baseball because rival coaches doubt he is only twelve years old and he has no parents to offer them proof.
Member:ctmsdali
Title:Heat
Authors:Mike Lupica
Info:Puffin (2007), Paperback, 240 pages

Work Information

Heat by Mike Lupica (2005)

"Michael Arroyo is a great baseball player. He gets questioned about his age and must find his birth certificate before he gets banned from his baseball league."
  dneirick | Jun 13, 2019 |
Michael Arroyo has a pitching arm that throws serious heat along with aspirations of leading his team all the way to the Little League World Series. But his firepower is nothing compared to the heat Michael faces in his day-to-day life. Newly orphaned after his father led the family's escape from Cuba, Michael's only family is his seventeen-year old brother Carlos. If Social Services hears of their situation, they will be separated in the foster-care system--or worse, sent back to Cuba.
  dneirick | May 7, 2019 |
The book Heat is a thriller for all baseball fans. To me its just another great written book, by Mike Lupica. The story is about Michael Arroyo who has an arm that throws serious heat. But his firepower is nothing compared to what he faces pretty much every day of his life. Newly orphaned after his father led his family's escape from Cuba. Michael's only family is his seventeen year old brother Carlos.
This book really inspires me to be a better person. To think about stuff that happen to people, like in this book. It just makes me thankful for the ability and family that i have. This book makes me feel extremely special. Besides that point, the book fascinated me with Michael life. Overall i highly recommend this book its a real jaw dropper. ( )
  BlakeC.G1 | Apr 15, 2018 |
Huh. I did not expect this. I don't give a **** about sports, especially baseball. But baseball is only the vehicle of a much better story. One of belonging. I liked this a lot. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 25, 2017 |
This book is about a young little league baseball player who is dealing with much more than just baseball. His family escaped from Cuba. He is 12 years old and is recently orphaned living with his older brother who is only 17. He is a great baseball player and opposing coaches think he is too good to be 12. He has no birth certificate and is afraid he will be sent back to Cuba. I would use this book to teach about family and show that some have it worse off than they might. It could also be used to teach about immigration and a realistic fiction story that deals with that.
  Jordan.Francies | Nov 29, 2016 |

Mike Lupicaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lupica, Mikemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mrs. Cora walked slowly up River Avenue in the summer heat, secure within the boundaries of her world. The great ballpark, Yankee Stadium, was on her right.

this is the greatest sports book I have ever read. The way micheal finds himself in a day-to-day struggle and somehow manages to come out alive just amazes me

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,231,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible