Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Just Listen (edition 2008)

by Sarah Dessen (Author)

5,3292011,639 (4.13)81
Isolated from friends who believe the worst because she has not been truthful with them, sixteen-year-old Annabel finds an ally in classmate Owen, whose honesty and passion for music help her to face and share what really happened at the end-of-the-year party that changed her life.
Member:nijames
Title:Just Listen
Authors:Sarah Dessen (Author)
Info:Speak (2008), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages

Work Information

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

English (199)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (200)
Halfway in I got a feeling like I've read it already. I vaguely remember flipping through, so it's probably that.

And I'm not too invested here. A glimpse of Wes and Macy - and off I was deliriously happy and planning a re-read. That shows my emotional investment quite clearly.

Basically, I liked it well enough, considering.
I was actually tempted to just give up - did not really care about Annabel. Owen's personality only shined through at the very end. Not cool.

The last part of the book is the strongest.
I loved the family dynamics, but was left wanting more (quantity-wise).

The whole thing read a little flat and a bit unrealistic.

FINAL VERDICT: Find something else, please. I cannot in good conscience recommend this book ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
This was a really great book by Sarah Dessen that explored so many important issues. I loved the way the focus was more on the personal growth of the main character, which could have happened independent of getting the guy or not. Of course Owen was wonderful and critical to Annabelle finding her voice, but I loved the way the book also focused on the relationship and development of things with her sisters and mother, and with other friendships, too. 4/5 stars.

Please excuse typos. Learning to use screen reade. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
A student of mine has been begging me to read a Sarah Dessen book all year. I buy them at the Scholastic Book Sales, because the covers look like they might be the type of book my girl students would like, but I've never actually read any.

And since the school year is almost over, I owed it to my student to read one before she's not my student any more. I think part of why I didn't want to read it was simply because of the volume of books she's written--on par with Lurlene McDaniel or Nicholas Sparks--and we all know someone dies in all of their books. So, spoiler alert: no one dies in this book. But it is a well-written story and once I got about 100 pages in, I couldn't put it down.

So I'll probably be reading more of her books... ( )
  ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |
After an ugly falling out with a friend and with the truth behind that falling out uglier than she’s revealed to anyone, Annabel faces the new school year very much isolated until befriending a music obsessed boy with his own issues.

You’ll probably figure out what Annabel is hiding fairly early on, it’s not meant to be about the suspense of what happened, it’s more a matter of working up to the point where Annabel may be ready to talk about it. I thought Annabel’s struggle felt realistic, particularly as another person’s situation becomes public. It was just towards the end where I wanted a little more of Annabel and her family dealing with things and especially an in depth conversation with her mom.

The romance was kind of underdeveloped, it definitely felt more like friendship territory to me, but I didn’t really mind that since friendship was something Annabel sorely needed. I did like Owen, his snobby taste in music and his entertaining little sister gave the book some necessary lighter bits amid the heavier subjects tackled here.

As compelling as I found Annabel’s situation, I was even more interested in her sister Whitney’s eating disorder and the arc she’s on over the course of the book, it had me wishing her story wasn’t just secondary but a novel all its own. ( )
  SJGirl | Jul 19, 2021 |
This was a 3/5 up until the last 75 pages or so, then I was pulled in and hooked and actually teared up at one point. overall, not the best but a pretty decent read ( )
  seraynea | Jun 29, 2020 |
"Dessen weaves a sometimes funny, mostly emotional, and very satisfying story."
added by Awesomeness1 | editVOYA

The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost
I taped the commercial back in April, before anything had happened, and promptly forgot about it.

Last year, Annabel was "the girl who has everything"—at least that’s the part she played in the television commercial for Kopf ’s Department Store.This year, she’s the girl who has nothing: no best friend because mean-but-exciting Sophie dropped her, no peace at home since her older sister became anorexic, and no one to sit with at lunch. Until she meets Owen Armstrong. Tall, dark, and music-obsessed, Owen is a reformed bad boy with a commitment to truth-telling.With Owen’s help,maybe Annabel can face what happened the night she and Sophie stopped being friends.
In this multi-layered, impossible-to-put-down book, Sarah Dessen tells the story of a year in the life of a family coming to terms with the imperfections beneath its perfect facade.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,874,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible