Kissing Games of the World by Sandi Kahn…

Kissing Games of the World

by Sandi Kahn Shelton

Sharing a house with an elderly man and his young grandson in order to make ends meet, single mother Jamie McClintock finds her life thrown into turmoil by the old man's sudden death and the return of his estranged son, Nate, to reclaim the house and his son.

This was a wonderful book. It had this easy, slow pace, like drinking ice tea on the porch a nice summerday. I am not saying it was like that all the time. Oh no, it had ups and downs and I wanted to kick someone. But the language was like that.

They all had issues. Jamie had man issues, she was overprotective of her son, but that was understandable since he had asthma. But she did not let anyone get close really. She had let Harris though. Then there is Nate who had severe father issues. These two clashed at once. He did not like to find her in his old home, and he was thinking she had slept with his dad. She saw him as he was, a harsh idiot sometimes. Those were also the times I wanted to give him a kick. He was certainly not nice, but yes, issues. The only two that had some hope and seemed normal were the kids. Oh they were lovely, talked all the time and saw truth. The author did a wonderful job with everyone really. People do have issues.

This is not a romance, it is a book about loss, finding yourself, hope and love. These two people really deserve to be loved. Nate does have a fiancee' but does he love her, or does he just need someone there. It is not like he meets her a lot either. Jaime is a single mum with a minimum lovelife. Her sister tries to get her to date but to no avail. Then these two meet, harsh words, but passion underneath, and slowly something starts to build up. Something that could get torn down any minute.

This book grabs a hold of you, and you keep reading, while sitting on that porch. The language flows easily. There is no I either hate or love these characters, no grey zones. They all had flaws, they were human, and yes they did and said stupid things. But she made it easy to still like them, and love some. And yes get angry at some too of course.

I can't remember who talked about it, but it was about titles in books, and I found this one here. It fitted Nate perfectly.

This book did have some underlying sexual tension and sparkling romance wanting to get through. I enjoyed their awkward dance and waited for them to see the light. They were meant to be, but the road there seemed rocky to say the least.

It was a book with many layers, and I did enjoy them all. To see life go by in their lives as they struggles with their new roles. I was pleasantly surprised.

blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
LOVED this book! A treat to read.
Nate returns home after his father, Harris, has died in the house he grew up in, naked in his housemates bed.
His father abandoned Nate and his mom when he was a kid, and, of course, he has issues.
He also has a son that Harris has been raising.
Delightful, easy read. Great romance, Great characters, wonderful dialogue!!! ( )
  coolmama | May 3, 2010 |
Nate, widower, is estranged from his father and his five year old son, Christopher. He spends his life as a successful jet setting salesman. Jamie is a struggling artist raising her son after her boyfriend left her when Arley was born. When Nate’s father dies unexpectedly of a heart attack, it is time for Nate to step up and take responsibility for his son. He arrives at his father’s Connecticut home to find Jamie in residence. Knowing his father had always been a “ladies man” he immediately assumes the worst. And Jamie is none to pleased to see this man who has never had time for his son. Sparks start to fly as each tries to grab the high moral ground.

This tale of two wounded people trying to make headway in life was cute and enjoyable. And it seemed at times as if the children were the real “grownups” in the story. Kissing Games of the World is a light read about overcoming the things that have held us back in relationships. ( )
  punxsygal | May 26, 2009 |
What a great story! This novel was so endearing, from beginning to end. All of the characters were believable, the plot was realistic and kept my interest throughout, and the writing was superb. The story flowed smoothly and without any dry spells....quite remarkable!

I was very impressed with this writer's skill and heart, and I can't wait to read more by this gifted author. If you want a book that will touch your soul, this one will fit the bill! Not a syrupy romance, but a wonderful story about how two people discovered what really matters in life, how they came to terms with love and loss, and happened to find each other in the process. ( )
  porchsitter55 | Sep 14, 2008 |

Sandi Kahn Sheltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dawson, MaddieAuthormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sandi Kahn Shelton is a pen name for Maddie Dawson

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,803,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible