The Maze of Bones (39 Clues, No. 1) by Rick…

The Maze of Bones (39 Clues, No. 1) (edition 2008)

by Rick Riordan

Series: The 39 Clues (1)

What would happen if you discovered that your family was one of the most powerful in human history? What if you were told that the source of the family's power was hidden around the world, in the form of 39 clues? What if you were given a choice - take a million dollars and walk away ... or get the first clue? If you're Amy and Dan Cahill, you take the clue - and begin a very dangerous race.… (more)
Member:SandyDavenport
Title:The Maze of Bones (39 Clues, No. 1)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Scholastic Press (2008), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 220 pages
Collections:Finished

Work Information

The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan

This isn't at the same level as the other Riordan books that I've read, though the pacing was pretty good. The characters seem a bit clonish and predictable. The major plot points seemed a bit repetitive at times, but overall, this qualifies as a pretty good start to a series for middle grade readers. ( )
  matthewbloome | Nov 6, 2022 |
⋇⋆✦⋆⋇Exciting and Adventurous⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

4.5 stars

This book is immature. The characters are tragically flat. The events are borderline preposterous. And the plot was literally designed by Scholastic beforehand. There is absolutely no way a 13-something-year-old girl could have "flipped" Dan upside down. Unless the author mixed him up with Saladin the cat, of course. And there is also absolutely no way the same girl could've thrown a gallon of ice cream and knocked over two adults, one of whom is an ex-KGB agent. I told you this book was immature. So why in the world did I like it so much?!

I just couldn't help it. No, this book isn't good literature. Yes, if someone recommended it to me, I'd have the impression they had horrible tastes (but I still can't keep myself from recommending this series to others...). The intrigue and the action (all throughout this series, actually!) was genuinely exciting. The humor is the type that makes you laugh and cringe in equal proportions and at the same time. And the facts and historical references were interesting and well-thought-out.

I loved this series as a child, and I still have a fondness for it.

««Recommended for...»»
☐ Reluctant/impatient readers
☐ Children grades 3-6
☐ Those who love fact-paced reads
☐ Fans of [b:The False Prince|12432220|The False Prince (Ascendance, #1)|Jennifer A. Nielsen|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1585683740l/12432220._SX50_.jpg|16221764]
☐ Readers of middle grade, fantasy, historical fiction, and/or action and adventure
☐ Someone wanting to get out of a reading slump
  BooksbyStarlight | Oct 25, 2022 |
A fun way to teach history, and really get kids and young adults into learning. Even as an older teen, and adult, I still learned from these books, and enjoyed the ride along the way. ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
Si tratta del primo libro di una (lunghissima) serie in collaborazione con altri autori, collegata a un gioco online e all'epoca credo anche a carte collezionabili. Insomma, grida "commercialata" a squarciagola con tanto di cartello luminoso e freccine al neon.

So di essere fuori del target di questo libro, ma i personaggi mi sono sembrati abbastanza banali e la storia non mi ha entusiasmato, per cui non credo ne leggerò altri, ma considerato che si parla di una spy story su dei ragazzini che viaggiano per il mondo allo scopo di scoprire i segreti della proprio misteriosa famiglia, potrebbe piacere ai lettori più giovani.

In quel caso, auguri per il portafoglio!

Letto per le sfide
1. Babele 2021: modalità difficile (15/15 - COMPLETATO!)
2. C'era una volta: modalità media (10/12) ( )
  JaqJaq | Jan 7, 2022 |
My nephews love these books and told me I should read them. The first book sets up a great cliffhanger. It's a little bit like Robert Ludlum for tween boys. Fun stuff. ( )
  ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |
Bookish Amy and hyperactive Dan are agreeably flawed characters but have an undeniably focus-grouped, manufactured quality — as does, let’s face it, the whole book...When the book tells us that Dan loved his grandmother because “she’d treated him and Amy like real people, not kids,” we hear what’s wrong. The writing is carefully bland, as if it didn’t trust its readers enough.

Riordan, who has plotted the main arc for the series, gets the ball rolling nicely with likable brother-and-sister heroes, a cast of backstabbing relatives, and a smattering of puzzles and clues to decipher in the quest for the ultimate secret.
added by khuggard | editBooklist

The book dazzles with suspense, plot twists, and snappy humor, but the real treasure may very well be the historical tidbits buried in the story.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal

This ought to have as much appeal to parents as it does to kids—it's Webkinz without the stuffed animals, and a rollicking good read.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

To Haley and Patrick, who accepted the challenge
Five minutes before she died, Grace Cahill changed her will.
ISBN 0545060427 is for The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,947,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible