Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Spiderwick Chronicles Book 1: The Field…

The Spiderwick Chronicles Book 1: The Field Guide (original 2003; edition 2008)

by tony-diterlizzi-holly-black (Author)

Member:windexperez
Title:The Spiderwick Chronicles Book 1: The Field Guide
Authors:tony-diterlizzi-holly-black (Author)
Info:Simon and Schuster (2008), 128 pages

The Field Guide by Holly Black (2003)

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (fyrefly98, cmbohn)
    fyrefly98: Very similar stories (kids in a creepy old house learn to see magical creatures all around them), although I think Fablehaven skews just a little older than the Spiderwick Chronicles.
    The Moorchild by Eloise McGraw (Bitter_Grace)
    Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things by Ted Naifeh (FFortuna)
    The New Brighton Archeological Society by Mark Andrew Smith (FFortuna)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (HollyMS)
    The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver (C.Vick)
    Werewolf Versus Dragon by The Beastly Boys (FFortuna)
    The Various by Steve Augarde (avatiakh)

English (89)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Afrikaans (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (96)
Confessions of a Book Freak For my thoughts ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
I've been meaning to read thes books for a while now and was a little surprised to find how low of a reading level it was. That is not to say that I didn't enjoy it I just did not expect it. It was a really nice book. I did have to feel a bit bad for the children and how their mother acted. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
I'm partial to fantasy, so not surprised that I really enjoyed this book. It's very short, the first in a series of five. You can't stop with the first. It's so short that it only has time to set the stage. The entire series could have been written as one book.

After their father leaves, the Grace family moves into their Great Aunt Lucinda's decrepit mansion. None of the children, Mallory and twins Simon and Jared, are happy about this move. Jared, in particular, is having trouble since his father left, setting him up for the events that follow. When he tries out the kitchen's dumbwaiter, it takes him to a mysterious room in the attic. He finds a field guide to the faery world, and though warned not to open it, he does anyway. As it happens, there is a brownie living in the house and when he is angered, he turns into a mischievous boggart. Not realizing it, he and his siblings disturbed the brownie's nest and now he's retaliating. At first no one believes Jared, and he's blamed for all the mischief. Just as his siblings realize the truth, book 1 ends. You must read on to meet the really bad faery characters.

The series has gone out of popularity, which happens, and kids have to be steered toward it now. If you can convince them to read it, they will still love it. ( )
  valorrmac | Sep 21, 2018 |
This took a LoOONg time to get going, though the kids seemed to like it. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
This was such a quick read, it was finished before I had time to really get settled! I don't read a lot of short children's book and this was the first I had done by audio. Mark Hamill is a fantastic narrator, and the book is interesting.

The Field Guide is definitely just setting you up for more to come, and even though they're children books... I'd like to see a little more plot in book 2. ( )
  Morteana | Jun 2, 2018 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
DiTerlizzi, TonyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandmother, Melvina, who said I should write a book just like this one and to whom I replied that I never would --H. B.

For Arthur Rackham, may you continue to inspire others as you have me --T. D.
If someone had asked Jared Grace what jobs his brother and sister would have when they grew up, he would have had no trouble replying.
The strangest thing, however, was the subject matter. The book was full of information about faeries.

The room had a low ceiling, and the walls were covered in bookshelves. Looking around, he realized there was no door.

AR 4.2, Pts 1.0

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689859368, Hardcover)

The first book in a beautifully produced series of five, The Field Guide sets up the story of the Grace children--13-year-old Mallory and 9-year-old twins Jared and Simon--who with their mother move into the dilapidated Spiderwick Estate only to quickly find themselves sucked into a dark and fascinating world of faeries.

Superficially, the Spiderwick Chronicles smack of Lemony Snicket, with its "true story" setup and breathless warnings ("Go away/close the book/put it down/do not look"). But Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black owe no one for the intensely absorbing world they've created. Black certainly showed fey promise in her slightly freaky debut and DiTerlizzi has weird cred to spare, from his zany Jimmy Zangwow to countless credits for the Magic: The Gathering card game.

By combining their ample skill with thoughtful art direction and demanding production values, the duo has succeeded in creating a series with irresistible appeal. Each book promises a quick read, snappy plot progression, and dozens of DiTerlizzi's imaginative pen-and-ink drawings. So if you're drawn to The Field Guide at all, you might as well save yourself the trouble and make sure you have the second book (The Seeing Stone handy. (Ages 6 to 10) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

When the Grace children go to stay at their Great Aunt Lucinda's worn Victorian house, they discover a field guide to fairies and other creatures and begin to have some unusual experiences.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,527,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible