The Tourist (Milo Weaver, Book 1) by Olen…

The Tourist (Milo Weaver, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Olen Steinhauer (Author)

Series: Milo Weaver (1)

An espionage novel featuring a burnt-out CIA agent, Milo Weaver, forced to head into the field one last time. Milo used to be a "tourist," an undercover agent with no home, no identity, who has since retired to become a middle-level manager at the CIA's New York headquarters. He's acquired a wife, a daughter, and a brownstone in Brooklyn, and he's tried to leave his old life behind. But when the arrest of a long-sought-after assassin sets off an investigation into one of Milo's oldest colleagues and exposes new layers of intrigue in his old cases, Milo goes back undercover to find out who's holding the strings once and for all.… (more)
Member:jkrzok
Title:The Tourist (Milo Weaver, Book 1)
Authors:Olen Steinhauer (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2010), Edition: 1 Reprint, 432 pages

The Tourist by Olen Steinhauer

English (50)  German (2)  All languages (52)
Interesting but overly complex plot with multiple shifts in time and perspective. Unsure that I will read the other books in the series.
See the CIA's review of this book. ( )
  fwbl | Dec 31, 2020 |
Did not like it. Used to like Le Carre's stuff, but this spy novel struck me as artificial and I was often bored. Guess I am getting too old to waste my time on reading the equivalent of popcorn. ( )
  amaraki | Dec 6, 2020 |
I love this series! I need to find the second book and read it, as I am sure it will be just as good... though I really didn't like the ending of the book, but only for personal reasons. lol.
the characters are wonderful, and the plot takes some twists that I never saw coming. I was hooked throughout the end. A real must-read! ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
In espionage thrillers, agents may have lovers but rarely spouses and children they love and long to spend more time with. But in Olen Steinhauer's terrific “The Tourist” (2009), Milo Weaver just wants to take his family to Disney World. He wants to be a tourist, and not a "tourist," CIA lingo for agents who wander the world doing the Company's bidding. Under the name Charles Alexander, Weaver used to be a Company tourist. Now he has a desk job and prefers to keep it that way.

But then an international assassin chooses Weaver as his audience for his dying words, which suggest that the assassin was actually working for someone in the CIA and that Weaver had better discover who that is.

Soon Weaver, forced to abandon his family in Florida, must travel to Paris and elsewhere, trying to find the answers upon which his life may depend. Once again he finds himself a tourist, this time working on his own.

Espionage novels are traditionally filled with complexity, sudden turns, sudden deaths and betrayals. “The Tourist” has all that, and more. ( )
  hardlyhardy | Feb 25, 2020 |
I don't read a lot of spy novels because I find them a little terrifying. I know that some of the details are made up but some things just seem too realistic. And it scares me to think that there are people around the world manipulating events to create outcomes that benefit some "bad people" as POTUS would say.

Milo Weaver was working in the ultra-secret Tourist section of the CIA in September 2001. He and a colleague were following another American spy who appeared to have absconded with a large sum of money. They catch up to him in Venice in the company of an extremely pregnant woman and when they yell at him to stop he fires a gun and takes off. Milo is wounded and the woman goes into labour. The date is September 11, 2001. We all know the world changed after that date and Milo changed with it. He gets a desk job in New York, marries the woman who went into labour in Venice that date and raises her daughter as his own. After six years of predictable hours and work he gets a break on finding an assassin he has been trying to stop for years. And his carefully constructed home life is threatened as a result. Will he be able to save his marriage, his family and his life? You'll have to read to see. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jan 27, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For Margo
Four hours after his failed suicide attempt, he descended toward Aerodrom Ljubljana.
Please take care NOT to combine this novel by Olen Steinhauer with the movie/film of the same name! Thank you!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,557,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible