Dear Fatty by Dawn French

Dear Fatty

by Dawn French

"With a sharp eye for comic detail and a wicked ear for the absurdities of life, Dawn French shows just how an RAF girl from the West Country with dreams of becoming a ballerina/air hostess/bridesmaid/thief rose to become one of the best-loved comedy actresses of our time." "Here Dawn French invites us into her most personal relationships with, among others, her mum and dad, her husband, her daughter and her friend Jennifer." "Dawn reveals the people, experiences and obsessions that have influenced her and that helped shape her comedy creations - including kissing, dogs, grandmas, David Cassidy, teenage angst, school, stealing and Madonna. She is as open about her fears and sorrows as she is about her delights and joys, and for the first time shares the experience of losing her beloved dad and later finding a tip-topmost chap in Lenny Henry."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

English (31)  Dutch (1)  All languages (32)
I loved this book. I love Dawn French.

I laughed...but I also cried. I'm not sure if it would effect everyone the same way, but she is quite candid about her father's death (my father died similarly, but by different means) and many of the letters (each "chapter" is a letter to someone in her life and/or past) are written to her father. I have to say that there were times that she drew real tears.

I would have read it MUCH faster if I didn't have to keep stopping to spend hours on YouTube watching French & Saunders or Comic Strip clips... ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Charming and funny and a little bittersweet, just like you'd expect. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
This is the autobiography I chose for the 2016 Reading Challenge. And although this is listed as an autobiography, Ms. French states right up front that it has transformed into a memoir because she feels her autobiography would be boring. It's written as a series of letters to friends, family, co-workers and to a few celebrities. The most poignant letters are to her father. She never doubted that he believed in her and loved her, although he committed suicide when she was 19. The book was a delight to read, and gave insight into this interesting lady. The accompanying pictures also allow glimpses into her acting and her family life. Several of the letters are actually 'shaggy dog' stories that I bought into until the last sentence. I did find the letters to Madonna tiresome. I was sorry to see this book end, since I would like to continue to know what's going on in the life of the 'Vicar of Dilbey'. ( )
  DrLed | Jul 5, 2016 |
Well written, very very funny. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
I love Dawn French she is so naturally funny and this flowed into her biography even when she is writing about some tough subjects. It was an easy light read over a boring long weekend. ( )
  RettaRyan | Nov 4, 2014 |

Dawn Frenchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leighton, TrevorCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tarbuck, LizaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SMALLER lyrics by Alison Moyet Taken from the album The Turn I used to dance to the drum in your chest My feet on your feet, my head at your breast You gave me a tune and I carry it still And I promise my darling, that I ever will.
For Michelle Lillicrap 1968-2008 Stephen Handy 1972-2008 Marjorie Emily French nee Berry 1908-Forever
Dear You, Hello.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,857,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible