Zach's Lie by Roland Smith

Zach's Lie

by Roland Smith

Series: Zach's Lie

Review: Zach’s Lie by Roland Smith.

This book shows how drugs can really mess up your life and it also explains all the different ways to change your identity. The story was an adventure and survival situation for a mother and two children who did nothing criminally wrong but had to pay the price of losing their identity. The colorful descriptive context gives a vivid picture of what was happening and how emotions kept the reader connected to the characters. The only flaw about the book was the ending. I wish the author could have expanded more on the ending and drawn it out a little longer.

The story is based on the main character, Jack Osborn, a thirteen year old boy, his older sister Joanne and their mother are forced into the Witness Protection Program. Jack’s father opened his own small airplane business and for awhile was doing good then he ran into some financial trouble and started smuggling drugs and got caught and was making a deal with the Federal Government to testify against the big-pin drug lords. This hurt the family in many ways especially Jack because he adored his father.

The story goes on with the Osborn Family having their names changed and moved to a different location. They have now become Zach, Wanda and Mrs. Granger starting a new life with a lower income status that they weren’t accustom to. As the story goes on Zach’s mother and sister seemed to adjust to their new surroundings but Zach was struggling. Making new friends for Zach was hard just as losing his dad and not knowing if he would ever see him again. After a while he did meet Catalin at school and had a crush on her and he also met an older man, Sam Sebesta who was a custodian at his school who seemed to care about him and his family. Sam also introduced Zach to the local Basque sheep herders who lived in the hills and high pastures above the small town they moved to.

Many issues came up for Zach and he didn’t know how to handle them. Throughout the rest of the story there are times of adventure for Zach, he encountered a brawl with a bully at school, he enjoyed eating Basque food at the Inn where Sam lived, and kept writing in his journal to harbor his thoughts just as had seen his father doing from time to time. I felt sad for Zach because I could feel his emotions and what he was going through. This is a good book for teens and adults to read because it shows just how teens and parents can make bad mistakes that cost a family pain and damage for one another.

Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
A thriller...semi-complicated plot for a middle school classroom: drug cartels, witness protection program, kidnappers, etc. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
This boook is VERY inetsting because in evey chapter and page is inersting and action pack ( )
  Mrs.UrbanitisClass | Jan 25, 2012 |
In my opinion Zach's lie was a very interesting book that I would highly recommed to anyone. The characters have deph that is revealed by peeling back layers throughout the book. The plot is well defined and the writing style make it easy to read and understand. The climax was slowly built to and the ending had a something for everyone in that it's part espionage, love story and mystery rolled into one.
I do however have some misgivings. Maybe it's me, that has bogged me down lately but it took me awhile for me to understand some of the main charactors and there role that they play in. Some times I wonder if the father will ever come in the story . I guess it will be better if you do but it would be more if the father has a story before they had to move. The story over all is good but I don't like the boy having a fake friend. ( )
  Mrs.UrbanitisClass | Jan 13, 2012 |
Summary- In this book, it has a bit of suspense when you want to know what will happen next. Jack is in 7th grade and everything's going good for him with his parents and his older sister. Until one night, something changed, it changed there world. Now they are put in the Witness Protection Program, they have to move and change everything. But why was the family going through this?

Review- I personally loved this book. When my class started reading it last year, I couldn't put it down, it was that good. I like the way the author gave a lot of details of the setting and the characters. The story has a great plot to begin with and a great ending, it's worded perfectly. Every chapter makes you think why. Why the story is going down hill then up again and repeated? Roland Smith in the book has a lot of thoughts in what could make the story better so the people would read it. This book is one my favorites to read, if I could, I'd read it again. ( )
  Mr.McCarthysClass | Jan 12, 2012 |

Jack Osborne's life changes forever the night men in masks break into his house, threaten Jack and his family, and ransack their home. Jack then discovers the reason these men have come into their lives-his father has been arrested for drug trafficking. Jack, his mother, and his sister are then forced to enter Witness Security Program. Jack becomes "Zach" and moves to Elko, Nevada, a town in the middle of nowhere. There he meets Sam, the strangest school custodian he has ever encountered, and Catalin, a girl who might make Zach's uprooting worth the trouble. But just as Zach finally begins to piece together a new life, he finds himself in danger again-and this time his actions could determine the fates of everyone he cares about.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:28 -0400)

When Jack Osborne is befriended by his school's custodian and a Basque girl, he begins to adjust to his family's sudden move to Elko, Nevada, after entering the Witness Security Program, but the drug cartel against which his father will testify is determined to track them down.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,890,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible