Rudder Grange by Frank R. Stockton

Rudder Grange

by Frank R. Stockton

191770,760 (3.5)7

Funny and cute. It's interesting to see how things have changed over the last 100 years or more and how some things are the same. This is a tale of newlyweds and their search for a perfect home. You can read it for free (just Google the title or look on Gutenbergpress.org).
Here is a funny bit about mortgages as the wife tries to convince her husband that it would be possible for them to build their own home:
"No, you needn't have any money," said Euphemia, rather hastily. "Just let me show you. Supposing, for instance, that you want to build a house worth—well, say twenty thousand dollars, in some pretty town near the city,"

"I would rather figure on a cheaper house than that for a country place," I interrupted.

"Well, then, say two thousand dollars. You get masons and carpenters, and people to dig the cellar, and you engage them to build your house. You needn't pay them until it's done, of course. Then when it's all finished, borrow two thousand dollars and give the house as security. After that, you see, you have only to pay the interest on the borrowed money. When you save enough money to pay back the loan, the house is your own. Now isn't that a good plan?"

"Yes," said I, "if there could be found people who would build your house and wait for their money until someone would lend you its full value on a mortgage."

"Well," said Euphemia, "I guess they could be found, if you would only look for them."

"I'll look for them when I go to heaven," I said. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |

A whimsically fantastic and amusing adventures of a family living on a canal boat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,690,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible