The Family Under the Bridge by Natalie…

The Family Under the Bridge (original 1958; edition 1990)

by Natalie Savage Carlson (Author)

An old tramp, adopted by three fatherless children when their mother hides them under a bridge on the Seine, finds a home for mother and children and a job for himself.
Member:PatShafer
Title:The Family Under the Bridge
Authors:Natalie Savage Carlson (Author)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (1990), Edition: Reprint, 97 pages

Work Information

The Family under the Bridge by Natalie Savage Carlson (1958)

Recently added bytheloys, private library, Frederic_Schneider, MishaJ, MizMouse, VivianeMom, Ltownsend11, Brooke115

Sweet story ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
What a perfect read-aloud for December! I didn't realize when grabbing it that this book was set in Paris around Christmastime.

I loved the writing, and the illustrations by Garth Williams. My 9yo, 7yo, and 5yo all enjoyed this quick read and would like me to buy a personal copy.

It tells the story of a homeless "hobo" who lived under a bridge, and a family of a mother and her three children who were also without a home.

A caution, the book refers to a group of Roma people as "Gypsies," and I took it as an opportunity to talk about why that is a slur. ( )
  kaciereads | Apr 9, 2020 |
Oh, how I loved this book! These are my favorite Garth Williams illustrations, and that is saying a lot. The story is simply wonderful...and it paints a magical picture of Paris--not the shiny images that you see in tourist photos, but a rich atmosphere with real characters. This is a oldie but such a goodie!

Natalie Savage Carlsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Mary Lindley Steere
Once there was an old hobo named Armand who wouldn't have lived anywhere but in Paris.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,378,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible