The Indian in the Cupboard (1980)

by Lynne Reid Banks

Series: Indian in the Cupboard (Book 1)

A nine-year-old boy receives a plastic Indian, a cupboard, and a little key for his birthday and finds himself involved in adventure when the Indian comes to life in the cupboard and befriends him.

English (86)  Spanish (1)  All languages (87)
The boys and I just finished this one. It was great. So nice to read a fun interesting book after the last few we have dragged ourselves through. Everyone begged for the story and sat still and listened which is not always the case.

There was no great message here. I guess you could say that treating each other right no matter how different would be the main lesson. But mostly this was a story that illustrated the magic of childhood. Kids live in a world where things like this seem possible. It is sad to see children grow out of this sense of wonder and possibility. It was a fun story that I am glad to finally read. It was published after I was all grown up alas so I had to wait to read it to my sons.

One caveat. What was up with the names of the boys? Omri? Gillon? Adiel? Those are some everyday type names. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
A birthday present of a plastic Indian, a cupboard, and a little key brings adventure to a 9-year-old boy.
  BLTSbraille | Oct 10, 2021 |
The boys loved this book sooo much! They are begging me to get the sequel! ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
I can only barely remember reading this book as a child, and I can barely remember thinking it was okay. ( )
  cruxcapacitor | Mar 15, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
… The book objectifies American Indians and is replete with stereotypical attitudes. Little Bear, the Indian, speaks "Hollywood Indian," for example, "`You touch, I kill,' the Indian growled ferociously." Although this book is popular with children and educators, its offensive treatment of American Indians makes for inappropriate reading.

Banks, Lynne Reidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cole, BrockIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grant, Richard E.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacques, RobinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Newsom, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Omri—Who Else!
It was not that Omri didn't appreciate Patrick's birthday present to him.
"They're not safe with you. You use them. They're people. You can't use people."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,228,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible