Labor of Love: The Story of One Man's…

Labor of Love: The Story of One Man's Extraordinary Pregnancy

by Thomas Beatie

Although not as well written as I had hoped, I still am glad I read Beatie's story. What a life. It is too bad that since having three children with his wife, Nancy, they are now separated, apparently due to his wife's alcoholism and violence associated with it. It is a bittersweet story, and certainly shows how one person's chosen path in life can unwittingly offend others. Even the transgender community was not as supportive as I would have thought they should have been when his story broke in the news. I hope his continuing life path is better. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
A provocative autobiography by a transman. The central question Beatie raises is what makes a person a man. This is often a major theme in memoirs by trans people; the twist here is that Beatie carries a child after having transitioned to being male. This gives the question of gender a very interesting spin and a particular urgency: How does the medical establishment respond? What privacy and control do Beatie and his partner relinquish in order to have a child? Should medical forms for pregnancies not assume that the person giving birth is female? How does the reader understand a pregnant man? I was much more taken by this autobiography than I thought I would be. The title and summary concerned me, in that it seemed like a schtick. a way to distinguish his book from those of other trans people. It's a measure of Beatie's ability to describe his experiences and decision-making that by the end I largely admire this narrative. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this fast paced, well written book, which explains why Thomas Beatie and his wife, Nancy, decided to bring a child into this world, using Thomas' reproductive organs, after he had transitioned from a woman to a man. From teenage beauty queen to muscle-bound young man, learning about his gender identity journey was interesting. I wish this family nothing but the best and have no doubt that all of their children (I believe they have 2 now) will be well taken care of and loved. ( )
  lildrafire | Oct 14, 2009 |
For Susan, my heart and purpose.
I have been a daughter and a son, a sister and a brother, a boyfriend and a girlfriend, a beauty queen and a stepfather, a Girl Scout and a groom.

In this surprising and heartfelt memoir, Thomas Beatie--known around the world as the first pregnant man--tells the story of how he survived a brutal childhood and a lifetime of prejudice to achieve his most precious dream: having a family.

Born female, Beatie transitioned to a male in his twenties and married his wife, Nancy, in 2003. But Beatie kept his female reproductive organs and chose to carry their child himself because Nancy couldn't. Beatie's decision to get pregnant ignited one of the biggest controversies of the year, but the real story of his pregnancy, and of the amazing events that led him to this historic moment, have never been revealed--until now.

Labor of Love is a poignant and candid memoir, rich in drama, humor, and suspense. At its heart, though, it is a love story--of the unlikely romance between he and Nancy; of their long, difficult journey to get married; of their uphill battle to find a doctor who would help Beatie carry their first child; and of the remarkable and joyous birth of their daughter, Susan. Labor of Love will challenge readers to consider what makes a man a man, what it means to be a parent, and ultimately what's worth cherishing more than anything else--the redemptive love of a family.

The author describes his difficult childhood as a girl named Tracy, how he transitioned to a man in his twenties, how he met and married his wife, Nancy, and how he bore and delivered their child himself when Nancy could not.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,392,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible