Is it Because? by Tony Ross

Is it Because?

by Tony Ross

241625,501 (4)None

A boy asks his dog a number of questions about another boy -- "is it because he's got silly names? / is it because he's no good at games? / is it because he's friendless, you see? / is it because he lives in a tree? [etc.] / Is it because...? Oh, I'll never know... why Peregrine Ffrogg has to bully me so. Perhaps it's because... -- I think I can see -- ... perhaps it's because he'd rather be me!"
  UWC_PYP | Feb 18, 2006 |

Author and illustrator Tony Ross skillfully navigates the problem of bullying in this humorously illustrated book. He presents an even-handed story that succeeds in engaging sympathy for both the bully's victim and the bully himself. In a simply-told rhyming tale, a little boy asks his pet dog why a bully is picking on him. "... is it because he's got silly names? Is it because he's no good at games?" After asking many more "is it because" questions, the little boy finally concludes, ". . . perhaps it's because he'd rather be me!" Here is food for thought, told in a style that will appeal to younger boys and girls. Color illustrations on every page.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:54 -0400)

"Tony Ross skillfully navigates the problem of bullying in this even-handed treatment that manages to engage sympathy for both the victim and the bully. And a question lingers ... is it because the bully is a victim, too?"--Cover back.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,020,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible