Glory Lane

by Alan Dean Foster

A mind-blowing cosmic adventure from the #1 New York Times-bestselling author of the Adventures of Pip & Flinx. It's just another boring late night in Albuquerque, New Mexico, for Seeth, a disillusioned punk rocker with too much time on his hands and too little money. That is, until he heads to a bowling alley and runs into Kerwin, a geeky graduate student who's there doing research for a sociology assignment. While trying to distract Kerwin from his scholarly pursuits, Seeth notices two burly cops trying to unlawfully arrest a lone bowler, and for laughs, he jumps in to save him. When it turns out the bowler, the cops, and even the bowling ball are all different races of aliens involved in an interstellar chase, Seeth and Kerwin find themselves on a ship careening through space-protecting a mysterious, all-powerful lifeform that might possibly be the most valuable thing in the universe. Seeth's found the excitement he wanted. And he didn't even have to leave Albuquerque-just Earth.… (more)

This is not a five-star book for YOU. It will always be a five-star book for me. I read this a long, long, long time ago and it has a very special place in my memory/heart. Everyone seems to have a personal anecdote about how they came to read science fiction. Or a story about a particular edition of a book in their collection. In fact, I find it common to read that many readers are appreciative of Tolkien for bringing them to the worlds of speculative fiction. Some readers mention other lofty, well-known novels.

Narnia. Chronicles of Prydain. The Tripods. etc.

Well, I had read those, certainly. And many others like The Three Investigators, John Bellairs' novels, and the Hardy Boys series.

But one day I was at the library and I was bored and I was sitting in one of the chairs next to a spinner and I pulled "Glory Lane" off of the spinner. And I read the heck out of it. And in that first contact sort of trope - this novel is my five-star introduction to how literature could be fun and exciting! Somehow, in that late 80s afternoon, this thing just resonated with me. ( )
  Ruskoley | Jun 18, 2024 |
A weak attempt at manic comedy. It starts off a bit like the much better John Dies at the End but quickly becomes a tedious sequence of crises, with the two main characters trading repetitive insults along the way, and an embarrassingly old cliche of a female character totally into shopping and clothes.

Not recommended. ( )
  ChrisRiesbeck | Nov 29, 2022 |
I very nearly continued with this one, but in the end decided that with all the books waiting to be read in this world, not finishing Glory Lane by Alan Dean Foster is something that I feel I can live with.

It wasn't a bad book, as such. Just not the great piece of humorous sci-fi I felt it should have been. What didn't help in my case was my inability to really empathize with the protagonist, Seeth, the punk. Initially I was quite taken with this idea of having a punk as a lead character but I found it wore thin rather quickly.

The lack of a gripping story-line didn't do much to help matters to be honest. It seemed to take a long time to get to where it wanted to be, which when we did get there, didn't even seem to be worth the wait.

I nearly gave it 3 stars(as in, I liked it) because I didn't dislike it really. It just didn't grab me in any way at all. And I like to feel there's something in a novel that I can like.

Was OK. But only just, and not really worth plowing on through unless it's all you have left on the shelf.
  SFGale | Mar 23, 2021 |
punk nerd and airhead in adventure across galaxies
  ritaer | Apr 1, 2020 |
This isn't epic fantasy or sci-fi, but it's a lot of fun and a good quick read for an afternoon. There is an amusing 80's vibe to go along with the futuristic stuff. I probably enjoyed this more than most will because I picked it up at a Goodwill expecting nothing and was pleasantly surprised. I actually re-read it every now and then. ( )
  skrikorian | Jan 23, 2011 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,381,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible