Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Where the Red Fern Grows (original 1961; edition 1996)

by Wilson Rawls

Member:Alloc
Title:Where the Red Fern Grows
Authors:Wilson Rawls
Info:Yearling (1996), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 208 pages

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls (1961)

English (213)  Dutch (1)  All languages (214)
Re-read in 2018 - Still feel the same about this book. Still ugly cried. Still miss my Grandma Martin.

I first read this book in '87 or '88. I remember there being a lot of ugly crying. This was one of the first books I remember reading that made me feel so many feelings. It was a nice trip down memory lane, and there was once again a lot of ugly crying...probably more so now than there was when I first read it. This time there were life memories attached to moments in the book. In the last chapter when they are remembering the old Indian legend about the red fern, I was uncontrollably sobbing. Not for the story, but because I miss my great grandmother. She shared a lot of her Cherokee heritage with us. That chapter reminded me a lot of her. Great book. So glad I decided to read it again!!! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
If I had to recommend one book and only one book for someone to read, it would be this one. This is by far, without a doubt, my most favorite book of all time! I couldn't tell you how many times I've read it, and I bawl like a baby every time. Billy is growing up in poverty with his family in the Ozarks. He finally saves up enough money to buy his two dogs, Old Dan and Little Ann. He trains them himself to be coon hounds. They become a very well known team in the area. The relationship between Billy and his dogs is the kind of relationship every kid dreams of. They love each other unconditionally and would do absolutely anything for each other. I cannot read this book as a read aloud because I would cry through the entire thing. When my brother and I were growing up, we had two red golden retrievers named Mike and Jane. They were our own Old Dan and Little Ann. ( )
  mandieh | Jan 17, 2019 |
At the time I enjoyed this book more than most classic books that are read in school, but I just don't think i could get past the end enough to be able to enjoy the book as a whole. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
this is a book about a boy who first must earn money to get his dogs and then hunts with them. He enters a contest for hunting coons, encounters a few mean boys and has a nice grandfather. If you like realistic fiction you will like this book. ( )
  SSelinger | Jan 9, 2019 |
Wonderful story for any age. Read to all my kids and they enjoyed, but my youngest daughter (age 9) got very sad with the ending listening to this Book on Tape, so caution your children, if they are very sensitive and love animals that it has a sad ending. ( )
  ZachMontana | Jan 3, 2019 |

Rawls, Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGinnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wonderful wife
without whose help this book
would not have been
written.
When I left my office that beautiful spring day, I had no idea what was in store for me.
This is the original book by Wilson Rawls; please do not combine with any film adaptation.

ISBN 0821919873 is not a dvd.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440412676, Paperback)

Author Wilson Rawls spent his boyhood much like the character of this book, Billy Colman, roaming the Ozarks of northeastern Oklahoma with his bluetick hound. A straightforward, shoot-from-the-hip storyteller with a searingly honest voice, Rawls is well-loved for this powerful 1961 classic and the award-winning novel Summer of the Monkeys. In Where the Red Fern Grows, Billy and his precious coonhound pups romp relentlessly through the Ozarks, trying to "tree" the elusive raccoon. In time, the inseparable trio wins the coveted gold cup in the annual coon-hunt contest, captures the wily ghost coon, and bravely fights with a mountain lion. When the victory over the mountain lion turns to tragedy, Billy grieves, but learns the beautiful old Native American legend of the sacred red fern that grows over the graves of his dogs. This unforgettable classic belongs on every child's bookshelf. (Ages 9 and up)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

A young boy living in the Ozarks achieves his heart's desire when he becomes the owner of two redbone hounds and teaches them to be champion hunters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,735,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible