Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Where the Red Fern Grows (original 1961; edition 1996)

by Wilson Rawls (Author)

11,541329439 (4)177
A young boy living in the Ozarks achieves his heart's desire when he becomes the owner of two redbone hounds and teaches them to be champion hunters.
Member:jmcatee33
Title:Where the Red Fern Grows
Authors:Wilson Rawls (Author)
Info:Yearling (1996), Edition: Reprint, 208 pages

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls (1961)

English (251)  Dutch (1)  All languages (252)
Oh, this book. I read it first with my 6th grade class (I probably never would have read it on my own) and I think it was the first book that made me cry.

I’ve kept my same copy from 6th grade for more years than I care to count, but it’s probably been since high school since I’ve actually read it. But now I have my own daughter with her own insatiable appetite for books, and I wanted to read thru it again to refresh my own memory before handing it off to her.

Mr. Rawls is maybe not the most eloquent of writers, but his style reflects the time and place of the story very well, and it’s simple and lovely in its way.

There were a couple of disturbing parts in the book, but it wasn’t gratuitous or out of place, and it fit with the style and setting of the book. Now I just have to determine when my daughter would be mature enough to handle these things. I remember being deeply affected by both parts when I read the book originally, but even though they’re fairly descriptive, it wasn’t traumatic. Almost worse than either of those was the end, when Billy brings his dogs home and over then next few days, both of them die. It’s completely heart wrenching to see him struggle and come to grips with one blow after another as it happens.

This is definitely a book for all my kids to read, in their time. It’s full of adventure and real life; love and conflict and grit and joy and pain. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
I have always loved classic children's literature and have read much of it. I especially love the classics that have animals in them. This particular book is one of my favorites and I think it is equally good when you it as an adult or as a child. The characters are engaging and realistic and the story draws you in. It is also equally good as an audiobook. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
You will enjoy this wonderful classic featuring Billy of the Ozarks and his two hunting dogs. I still remember reading this book as a child in school several years ago.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Aug 14, 2021 |
I liked the basic story, but way more about hunting, trapping, and killing animals than I wanted to read, so I skimmed about 2/3 of the book. I enjoyed the beginning, though. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
4.5 stars. A classic story of a poor young boy in the Ozarks, saving his money for two years to buy two redbone coon hounds: a male (Old Dan) and a runt female (Little Ann.) Together always, they become the best racoon hunters in the area, eventually competing for a top award. Lots of adventures for the trio, whose companionship is indefatigable. Not sure how I missed this one growing up... ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |

Rawls, Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGinnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wonderful wife
without whose help this book
would not have been
written.
When I left my office that beautiful spring day, I had no idea what was in store for me.
This is the original book by Wilson Rawls; please do not combine with any film adaptation.

ISBN 0821919873 is not a dvd.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,239,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible