Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Lois Lowry (Author)

Series: The Giver (3)

6,4331991,530 (3.76)1 / 178
In this novel that unites characters from "The Giver" and "Gathering Blue," Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.
Member:psuedosmart
Title:Messenger
Authors:Lois Lowry (Author)
Info:Laurel Leaf (2006), 176 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (195)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (198)
*bawling eyes out* ( )
  johanna.florez21 | May 27, 2024 |
I enjoyed the story of this one the best in the series after The Giver. I enjoyed Matty but I felt Lois made weird choices and too little research into random details about nature. It pissed me off when she said he heard an owl flying because owls famously fly silently.

Other reviews hated the new characters becoming the mains in novels after The Giver but I may have grown tired of Jonas and Gabe if they were the only focus of the series as they are not protagonists with a lot of agency in the first book: they act because they are forced to in order to survive not because they are looking for adventure. ( )
  womanhollering | May 21, 2024 |
Matty enjoys his job as his village's courier, bringing messages to whoever needs them, but worries about the new rumblings in town of residents wanting to stop newcomers from joining their society. He becomes determined to get his friend from a nearby community over to his village while he still can.

So, this book brings together the first two titles in the series, showing the connection between them that was hitherto unknown. For that, I definitely appreciated it. It was also good to see how the various characters have grown and developed in the intervening years since we saw them last.

However, that being said, I felt like this book brought up topics (e.g., the trade market suddenly becoming evil) without fully explaining them, although I suppose there's still potential in the last book of the series to answer everything completely. I'm not so sure about that though as so far, I feel like each book only raises more questions. I also really didn't like the ending of this book with Matty having to sacrifice his own life to stop the forest from taking over and in general didn't like to see that even the newest society was already having issues, as that was really demoralizing and didn't leave much hope for the small changes that had been made in places like Kira's community.

As I've gotten this far already, I am going to continue on to the next and final book in the series to see what happens but if this one had been first, I probably would have dropped the series right away. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Mar 12, 2024 |
Mystery
  BooksInMirror | Feb 19, 2024 |
I raced through this one, as I was eager to find out what happened with Matty and Kira. I'm not sure I liked the ending, it felt a bit rushed, but liked the book overall. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 22, 2023 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Chinese, traditional Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

AR Book Level 4.9, 5 pts.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,480,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible