Messenger by Lois Lowry

Messenger (original 2004; edition 2009)

by Lois Lowry

Member:luritzia
Title:Messenger
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Bantam Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:2009-2010
Rating:*****
Tags:the giver, forest, gifts, fiction

Messenger by Lois Lowry (2004)

English (123)  Italian (1)  All languages (124)
I think this is my favorite of the three in the "series" (Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger). Matty was a great character in Gathering Blue, and it's a joy to spend more time with him. Another review complained about having a major character die ... ah, but how else to communicate the concept and value of self-sacrifice.

I do recommend reading the three in order. ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
This book revolved around my favorite character in the Giver series, Matty.  I really liked his character in Gathering Blue because he had a lot of spunk.  He changed a lot in this episode to adapt to his new life in Village.  It made sense to the story, but I was just a tad disappointed because I loved the old Matty.  Toward the end of the book, Lowry brought back little episodes of the old Matty so that made me happy.  As for the plot, I thought it was the best of the series.  The scary dystopian element wasn't as blatant in this one so you really had to think about human nature.  I also like how Lowry slipped in a few characters from the previous books.  This was very well-written with a focus on character development and my favorite in the series. The ending was 100% appropriate, 100% surprising, and I'm not sure I've recovered yet. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
I had only been aware of Lowry's The Giver prior to discovering this book when searching for young adult mystery novels. After getting into it, it became apparent that it would have been very helpful to have read the second book in the trilogy before this one, but it can be read alone. I did not find it as engrossing as The Giver and will probably search out Gathering Blue to read before attempting this book again. I think I may only use this book as a follow up with students that really connect with The Giver. ( )
  ScottPrinzing | Apr 16, 2016 |
I was excited to see the tie in to both The Giver and Gathering Blue in this book. I was thinking all the books would be similar but separate, so it was a pleasant surprise. At first you think the Village that we're reading about has the right of things in this world that Lowry has created. The more you read, however, the more you discover that there are problems even here. I did not see the ending and solution coming until it was just there, laid bare. I have to admit to crying like a baby at the end. I'm anxious to see how Son will tie things all together and how the series will end. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Matty is a boy living in a village, six years after he left his old one. His adoptive father is a blind man named Christoper. The once selfless village and its people are being filled with greed. Now, they are starting to resent the idea of sharing and helping others. One day Matt's crush, Jean, promises him a puppy, but that puppy and its family fall ill. The puppies two siblings die and he and his mother aren't very healthy at all. When Matt visits them he sends Jean away and tries to comfort the dogs. Upon doing so, he discovers something incredible! He finds that he has the power to heal and the dog and its mother become healthy and lively. Christopher tells Matt that he should go and retrieve Kira from his old village to come and live with them. So before he goes, Matt visits the Leader and asks him if he can us is gift, to look beyond, to see Kira. He claims he can, and before bidding goodbye to Matt he gives the puppy his true name, Frolic. As he journeys through the forest, Matt finds that the forest appears to have changed since the last time he was there. The forest looks thicker, and less open. When Matt arrives in his old village and goes to take Kira back with him, he and Kira face horrible pain when the forest seems to scratch and claw at them. When the leader uses his gift he knows he must go and save them from the forest. When they finally meet, Matt and Kira are heavily wounded and so is the Leader. When all seems lost, Matt uses his gift to an extreme and not only heals Kira and the Leader, but the whole village. He hears the villagers singing in all different tongues. In the end, drain from the over use of the gift, Matt stills as Kira holds him in her arms and he is given his true name by the Leader, Messenger.
This is an extended ending to the Gathering Blue. The Messenger takes place six years later in the village of broken people. This is a nice closing to the last book, but Lois Lowry never mentioned Thomas or Jo once in this story. It leaves the readers wondering what happened to them. I can't wait to read the next book and I hope that it will tie The Giver, Gathering Blue, and The Messenger together so they make sense. ( )
  TessW.b1 | Mar 30, 2016 |
While ''Messenger'' may tie the three stories together just a little too neatly, it is still far from a sweet resolution. Up to the last anguished page, Lois Lowry shows how hard it is to build community. I suspect that many young readers will want to return to all three stories.

This book is about a boy named Matty who came to the Village six years ago and now they want to close the village to newcomers. Matty must send messages to those who are planning to come and move to the Village including where he originated from. I didn't really like this book as it didn't interest me and its description's were weak and vague. I didn't like the way the author wrote the book especially at the end of the book where it was unclear what happened. I think it is a good book for people who like science fiction books. I also didn't like this book because it had mythical things like "using your gift to change the world."
added by 16beny | editBen

Lois Lowryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morse, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matty was impatient to have supper preparations over and done with.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385737165, Mass Market Paperback)

Lois Lowry’s Messenger continues the quartet beginning with the quintessential dystopian novel, The Giver, and Gathering Blue, followed by Son.

For the past six years, Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man, known for his special sight. Village was a place that welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

Matty, a young member of a utopian community that values honesty, conceals an emerging healing power that he cannot explain or understand.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,785,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible