The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story by Susan…

The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story (original 1983; edition 2011)

by Susan Hill (Author)

Arthur Kipps, a young solicitor, travels to the north of England to settle the estate of Alice Drablow, but unexpectedly encounters a series of sinster events.
Member:Longcluse
Title:The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story
Authors:Susan Hill (Author)
Info:Vintage (2011), Edition: Reprint, 178 pages
Rating:**
Tags:6-22-22

Work Information

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill (1983)

Recently added byJuliamt, Arena800, Gumbywan, Longcluse
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (kraaivrouw, Jannes)
    Jannes: No sure if it is a coincidence, but the two perhaps best ghost stories ever written are both by women, in a genre otherwise mostly dominated by men. Both are superb explorations of death, loss, fear, and all those other elementsthat make up the good supernatural tales.… (more)
    The Turn of the Screw, and In the Cage by Henry James (bookworm12)
    The Small Hand by Susan Hill (jm501)
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (sturlington)
    The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill (jm501)
    Dolly by Susan Hill (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: The endings of the two stories are so similar.
    Waltz into Darkness by Cornell Woolrich (cometahalley)
    The Ghost Writer by John Harwood (madamlibbytellsall)
    The Memory Game by Nicci French (cometahalley)

English (214)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  All languages (218)
An excellently creepy ghost story with all the proper elements, and the dog comes through unscathed! ( )
  IVLeafClover | Jun 21, 2022 |
I may be alone in this, but I felt like I was reading a Dickens novel if he had decided to write a ghost story. During Arthur's travels and especially while he was at the inn I was reminded of the Pickwick Papers. The vibe matched completely. But the slow burning frightening feeling and isolated atmosphere was all Susan Hill. This was a great supernatural mystery. ( )
  Halestormer78 | May 15, 2022 |
Styled as a nineteenth-century ghost story, Susan Hill's The Woman in Black is a slow-burning enjoyable ghost story that ramps up towards the end and retains momentum through to the very last page. In so many ways, it feels like a book which was written a hundred years ago rather than only a few decades ago, and the trip back in time is an interesting one. This did read fairly slowly for me through the first two thirds, but I think much of that had to do with the fact that I'd seen the movie previously, and as each chapter got started, I remembered just enough to keep me from being all that surprised or compelled by the plot on the page. As a result, I enjoyed the read as a sort of novelty in style, and I'd certainly read more of Hill's work, but I'd probably only recommend this work to readers who haven't seen the movie at all recently. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Apr 28, 2022 |
I will admit that I started listening to this on the way to the airport for my holiday, nodded off, half listed to it, and have then spent the next month or so getting round to completing listening to it.

That perhaps gives a poor reflection on the book (it should give more of a reflection on that fact I can fall asleep on a 3 hour coach journey to Gatwick). The story is spooky and mysterious and the narrator (Paul Ansdell) ably contributes to the ambiance and is written in the fine tradition of gothic horror novels.

Mrs Alice Drablow lived and died at Eel Marsh house, and Arthur Kipps is sent to the house to represent his firm at her funeral, and afterwards clear up her papers. At the funeral, he spots a woman dressed in black, with a wasted face behind her veil, and soon becomes aware of a malaise that inhabits the house. Searching through the papers, he pieces together a sad story, and he begins hearing and seeing things, and it soon pushes him to the edge of sanity. The Woman in Black has a reputation and it comes to haunt Kripps when he least expects it ( )
  nordie | Apr 18, 2022 |
A subtle, effective ghost story. At times I worried that it was somehow to slight, but the last quarter wraps things up wonderfully and adds some nice nuances. Overall a great example of atmosphere and efficient brevity. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
I love this style of writing... very detailed and descriptive. Although some of our students have said that they had a hard time getting through the first few chapters, I was immediately captivated.

Hill, Susanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klingberg, OlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawrence, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Pat and Charles Gardner
It was nine-thirty on Christmas Eve.
But gradually I discovered for myself the truth of the axiom that a man cannot remain indefinitely in a state of active terror. Either the emotion will increase until, at the prompting of more and more dreadful events and apprehensions, he is so overcome by it that he runs away or goes mad; or he will become by slow degrees less agitated and more in possession of himself.
A man may be accused of cowardice for fleeing away from all manner of physical dangers but when things supernatural, insubstantial and inexplicable threaten not only his safety and well-being but his sanity, his innermost soul, then retreat is not a sign of weakness but the most prudent course.

Arthur Kipps in an up-and-coming London solicitor who is sent to Crythin Gifford-a faraway town in the windswept salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway-to attend the funeral and settle the affairs of a client. Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House. Mrs. Drablow's house stands at the end of the causeway, wreathed in fog and mystyery, but Kipps is unaware of the tragic secrets that lie hidden behind its sheltered windows. The routine business trip he anticipated quickly takes a horrifying turn when he finds himself haunted by a series of mysterious sounds and images-a rocking chair in a deserted nursery, the eerie sound of a pony and trap, a child's scream in the fog, and, most terrifying of all, a ghostly woman dressed in black. (96780307950215)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,684,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible