Anne of Avonlea (1909)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables {L. M. Montgomery} (2)

In this sequel to "Anne of Green Gables," teenage Anne Shirley becomes a schoolteacher in a small village on Prince Edward Island.

English (123)  Vietnamese (1)  All languages (124)
2nd read:

This was a therapeutic experience. Part of it is Montgomery's love for the everyday beauty found in nature and in people. I loved that her people have their own quirks but they are still a part of the community. People are a mix of good and bad and there are usually reasons behind that. She's so neutral and, in some ways, forgiving.

The other odd reason it was therapeutic was, and again this was odd, because bad things happened. Anne and Marilla were absolutely doing their best. But bad things still happened. Life happened. Storms, scandals, death, sickness, toothaches all happened. But life went on. And things got better, and they still laughed. It was a lovely experience.

OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
L.M. Montgomery is a long time and all time favorite author of mine. She writes the perfect girls story with just the right mix of adventure, drama and happiness. I find her books a comfort to read and have re-read most of works many times over the years. They are classics for a reason and that reason is they are great. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
OBS: Volume 2
  BibliotecaImaculada | Aug 24, 2021 |
Wonderful sequel to Anne of Green Gables, but the new child character Davy is intolerable. I've made peace with him by viewing him as a sociopath and a statement on the patriarchy.
  amybear | May 8, 2021 |
I wrote this review in 2007:

The "Anne of Green Gables" series are one of my all time favourites, and this second book in the series (first published in 1909) is every bit as wonderful as the first (1908). Beautifully written and a really good read for ages 8 to adult.

In Anne of Avonlea we catch up with Anne (aged 16 and half, although I thought that she had ended up 17 at the end of Anne of Green Gables - minor glitch!) as she returns to her old school in Avonlea as the school teacher. Anne is delightful in her ideals and her everlasting optimism... but even Anne can have her bad days (or "Judas" days) and there are a few laugh-out-loud moments where Anne just can't help but get it all wrong! You can't help but laugh aloud in the firecracker incident at school.

Anne and her old chums have also set up a society for the improvement of Avonlea, which meets with its fair share of hiccups, and Marilla and Anne take on six-year-old twins Davy and Dora, whose exploits Lucy Maud Montgomery recounts in her typically amusing way. Gregarious Anne also makes new friends, with the cantakerous Mr Harrison, and the eccentric Miss Lavendar.... and then there is her favourite pupil, dreamy eyed Stephen Irving...

Just wonderful timeless classics & I can't recommend them enough! ( )
  ArdizzoneFan | Jan 20, 2021 |

Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vesala, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winton, ColleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flowers spring to blossom where she walks
The careful ways of duty,
Our hard, stiff lines of life with her
Are flowing curves of beauty.
- Whittier
to my former teacher,
Hattie Gordon Smith
in grateful rememberance
of her sympathy and encouragement
A tall, slim girl, "half-past sixteen," with serious gray eyes and hair which her friends called auburn, had sat down on the broad red sandstone doorstep of a Prince Edward Island farmhouse one ripe afternoon in August, firmly resolved to construe so many lines of Virgil.
"If you went to your own room at midnight, locked the door, pulled down the blind, and sneezed, Mrs. Lynde would ask you the next day how your cold was!"
Eliza was sewing patchwork, not because it was needed but simply as a protest against the frivolous lace Catherine was crocheting.
"It does people good to have to do things they don't like … in moderation." - - Mr. Harrison
"I was just trying to write out some of my thoughts, as Professor Hamilton advised me, but I couldn't get them to please me. They seem so stiff and foolish directly they're written down on white paper with black ink. Fancies are like shadows… you can't cage them, they're such wayward, dancing things…"
"… You must excuse me, Anne. I've got a habit of being outspoken and folks mustn't mind it."

"But they can't help minding it. And I don’t think it's any help that it's your habit. What would you think of a person who went about sticking pins and needles into people and saying 'Excuse me, you mustn't mind it … it's just a habit I've got.' You'd think he was crazy, wouldn't you?"
see Wikipage Anne of Avonlea for a list of ISBNs that have been verified as belonging to the unabridged version of the novel.

The second chapter in the life of Anne Shirley. This book follows Anne from the age of 16 to 18, during the two years that she teaches at Avonlea school. It includes many of the characters from Anne of Green Gables, as well as new ones like Mr. Harrison, Miss Lavendar Lewis, Paul Irving, and the twins Dora and Davy.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100933, 1400108683

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438944, 1909438952

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,322,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible