Anne of Avonlea (1909)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables (2)

In this sequel to "Anne of Green Gables," teenage Anne Shirley becomes a schoolteacher in a small village on Prince Edward Island.

English (125)  Vietnamese (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (127)
Not nearly as good as the first book, but still a sweet story. ( )
  AliceAnna | Nov 7, 2022 |
This could've ended with book 1.
After reading this, I can conclude that book 1 should have just been standalone.
The author was trying to get more money when really, book 1 was just perfect on its own.
Anne and Gilbert's hate infuriated me, but to be honest, I probably would hold a grudge but Anne keeping it when Gilbert is actively apologising alot is really impressive.
We get twins, Davey and Dora, Davey is an absolute psycho and Dora is a sweet angel, yet Anne and Marilla ultimately favour Davey and dismiss Dora as boring. Also, this book didn't have the same atmosphere or questioning Anne so it wasn't as whimsical and enchanting.
The idea of favouring Davey was repeated throughout the story and I pitied Dora so much ( )
  crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |
anne of green gables 1908 ( )
  mahallett | Feb 12, 2022 |
I didnt enjoy this as much as Anne of Green Gables, not because it was bad but because I wasnt as familiar with the stories as I am the first book and so there wasnt that strong nostalgia for me. I find reading these books interesting for the characters I love but also because the books themselves are written in such a different time. Is it still considered historical fiction if it was contemporary fiction at the time it was published? In any case it is interesting to me because the choices and views of the characters are made in a different context and thus I end up judging them differently than I would if the book were written today. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |

Vesala, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winton, ColleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zieleniec, BogdanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flowers spring to blossom where she walks
The careful ways of duty,
Our hard, stiff lines of life with her
Are flowing curves of beauty.
- Whittier
to my former teacher,
Hattie Gordon Smith
in grateful rememberance
of her sympathy and encouragement
A tall, slim girl, "half-past sixteen," with serious gray eyes and hair which her friends called auburn, had sat down on the broad red sandstone doorstep of a Prince Edward Island farmhouse one ripe afternoon in August, firmly resolved to construe so many lines of Virgil.
"If you went to your own room at midnight, locked the door, pulled down the blind, and sneezed, Mrs. Lynde would ask you the next day how your cold was!"
Eliza was sewing patchwork, not because it was needed but simply as a protest against the frivolous lace Catherine was crocheting.
"It does people good to have to do things they don't like … in moderation." - - Mr. Harrison
"I was just trying to write out some of my thoughts, as Professor Hamilton advised me, but I couldn't get them to please me. They seem so stiff and foolish directly they're written down on white paper with black ink. Fancies are like shadows… you can't cage them, they're such wayward, dancing things…"
"… You must excuse me, Anne. I've got a habit of being outspoken and folks mustn't mind it."

"But they can't help minding it. And I don’t think it's any help that it's your habit. What would you think of a person who went about sticking pins and needles into people and saying 'Excuse me, you mustn't mind it … it's just a habit I've got.' You'd think he was crazy, wouldn't you?"
see Wikipage Anne of Avonlea for a list of ISBNs that have been verified as belonging to the unabridged version of the novel.

The second chapter in the life of Anne Shirley. This book follows Anne from the age of 16 to 18, during the two years that she teaches at Avonlea school. It includes many of the characters from Anne of Green Gables, as well as new ones like Mr. Harrison, Miss Lavendar Lewis, Paul Irving, and the twins Dora and Davy.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100933, 1400108683

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438944, 1909438952

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,214,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible