The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

The Complete Persepolis (2003)

by Marjane Satrapi

Series: Persepolis (Omnibus 1-4)

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi (JessamyJane)
    A Game for Swallows: To Die, To Leave, To Return by Zeina Abirached (Felipe-F)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Lipstick Jihad: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America and American in Iran by Azadeh Moaveni (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Iran of the late 20th century was a country of contradictions. Private and public lives, religious and secular lives, and men's and women's lives existed in direct opposition. Read thought-provoking, true-life stories about this in Persepolis and Lipstick Jihad.… (more)
    Marzi by Marzena Sowa (meggyweg)
    The Shadows of Ghadames by Joelle Stolz (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Shadows is for a younger audience, but it deals with some of the same themes and cultural ideas as the more adult Persepolis.
    American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang (sduff222)
    Shah of Shahs by Ryszard Kapuściński (wookiebender)
    wookiebender: A non-fiction book about the lead-up to the Iranian revolution (plus a bit post-revolution), I found this an interesting companion piece.
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (alexmuninn)
    Lena Finkle's Magic Barrel: A Graphic Novel by Anya Ulinich (charl08)
    Persia Blues, vol. 1: Leaving Home by Dara Naraghi (CassandraStrand)
    CassandraStrand: Both books deal with girls growing up under the restrictions of post-revolutionary Iran and their "escape" to the West.
    Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea by Guy Delisle (LokiAesir)
    Kabul Disco by Niclolas Wild (zasmine)
    Boxers & Saints Boxed Set by Gene Luen Yang (CGlanovsky)
    Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan (Maiasaura)
    Barefoot Gen, Vol. 1: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima by Keiji Nakazawa (LKAYC)
    Unterzakhn by Leela Corman (greydoll)
    greydoll: Graphic novel about lives of Jewish immigrant women in New York in early 20th century

English (171)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (183)
read: 2012/01/12 ( )
  simonspacecadet | Jul 29, 2018 |
Marjane Satrapi's graphic novel memoir is a powerful depiction of what life was like growing up in Iran during the Islamic Spring as well as a detailed account of her personal journey of self-discovery. The black-and-white images are beautifully done and convey the movement and intense division of the times she is writing about. Her story will make you laugh, cry, and come to love her for sharing such a personal tale of growing up.
  Breanne.Lawson | Jul 14, 2018 |
Occasionally I'll accidentally pick up a book that I had previous read, forgetting the fact I've actually read it before. [b: Persepolis|9516|Persepolis The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1)|Marjane Satrapi|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1425871473s/9516.jpg|3303888] is one of those books, as I'd the image of the blue cover featured here in my mind forever linked to the title rather than the previous separate editions I'd read before. Fortunately, whenever this does happen I'm often more than happy to reread the book, as I did here. It had been 7 years since I last read [b: Persepolis|9516|Persepolis The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1)|Marjane Satrapi|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1425871473s/9516.jpg|3303888] and I was surprised when I saw the low ratings. Why not read it again and see how I've changed, and how the graphic novel held up?

[b: Persepolis|9516|Persepolis The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1)|Marjane Satrapi|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1425871473s/9516.jpg|3303888] was revolutionary when it was first published for its depiction of life through the Islamic Revolution in Iran. The book still holds up for its depiction of the horrors of the change in regime, and the oppressiveness of the new fundamentalist rulers. What Persepolis gained after having sat for several years, through changes in culture both in the Middle East and the West, was its view of life and adjusting to such changes. At its heart Persepolis continues to believe in the value of education above all else, of allowing people to make choices even if you know it's not the right choice for them. It's only by learning and experiencing that we grow.

This book is one that I needed to grow up to appreciate, and having grown, have come to love. I've not seen the film, and was a bit surprised to see it was adapted, so I might need to look that up as well. As it is, I hope this book gets taught in schools, and I hope it continues to show up on 'best of' lists for a long time to come. There are life lessons in here, and an important look into life in what, for me, is a very distant place and culture. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Sexto livro do clube do livro feminista da Emma Watson

O quadrinho autobiográfico definitivo, além de ser uma puta aula de história, a história pessoal de Satrapi é contada de forma especialmente espetacular. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
Persepolis took me much longer than I expected mainly because I had a hard time keeping track of the characters. It's a memoir graphic novel about Marjane growing up in Iran during the 80s and 90s. I definitely learned a lot about the war in Iran. ( )
  strandbooks | May 31, 2018 |

Satrapi, Marjaneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferris, BlakeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merrien, CélineLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ripa, MattiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singh, AnjaliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
This is me when I was 10 years old. This was in 1980.
Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.
This is the Complete Persepolis (books 1-4 or books I+II).
Some editions such as ISBN 009952399X are only called Persepolis, but contain the Complete Persepolis.

A one-volume edition of Marjane Satrapi's memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution, living as a teenage expatriate in Austria, and returning to live as a young adult in Islamic Iran.

Here, in one volume: Marjane Satrapi's best-selling, internationally acclaimed memoir-in-comic-strips.

Persepolis is the story of Satrapi's unforgettable childhood and coming of age within a large and loving family in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution; of the contradictions between private life and public life in a country plagued by political upheaval; of her high school years in Vienna facing the trials of adolescence far from her family; of her homecoming--both sweet and terrible; and, finally, of her self-imposed exile from her beloved homeland. It is the chronicle of a girlhood and adolescence at once outrageous and familiar, a young life entwined with the history of her country yet filled with the universal trials and joys of growing up.

Edgy, searingly observant, and candid, often heartbreaking but threaded throughout with raw humor and hard-earned wisdom--Persepolis is a stunning work from one of the most highly regarded, singularly talented graphic artists at work today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

Collects a two-part graphic memoir, in which the great-granddaughter of Iran's last emperor and the daughter of ardent Marxists describes growing up in Tehran, a country plagued by political upheaval and vast contradictions between public and private life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,595,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible