The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

The Complete Persepolis (original 2000; edition 2007)

by Marjane Satrapi

Series: Persepolis (Omnibus 1-4)

Persepolis is the story of Marjane Satrapi's childhood and coming of age within a large and loving family in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution; of the contradictions between private life and public life in a country plagued by political upheaval; of her high school years in Vienna facing the trials of adolescence far from her family; of her homecoming--both sweet and terrible; and, finally, of her self-imposed exile from her beloved homeland.… (more)
Member:lunabibliotecaria
Title:The Complete Persepolis
Authors:Marjane Satrapi
Info:Pantheon (2007), Edición: 1, Paperback, 341 páginas
Rating:****1/2

Work Information

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (2000)

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi (JessamyJane)
    Marzi by Marzena Sowa (meggyweg)
    A Game for Swallows: To Die, To Leave, To Return by Zeina Abirached (Felipe-F)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Lipstick Jihad: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America and American in Iran by Azadeh Moaveni (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Iran of the late 20th century was a country of contradictions. Private and public lives, religious and secular lives, and men's and women's lives existed in direct opposition. Read thought-provoking, true-life stories about this in Persepolis and Lipstick Jihad.… (more)
    The Arab of the Future by Riad Sattouf (hilge)
    The Shadows of Ghadames by Joelle Stolz (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Shadows is for a younger audience, but it deals with some of the same themes and cultural ideas as the more adult Persepolis.
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Shah of Shahs by Ryszard Kapuściński (wookiebender)
    wookiebender: A non-fiction book about the lead-up to the Iranian revolution (plus a bit post-revolution), I found this an interesting companion piece.
    American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang (sduff222)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (alexmuninn)
    Boxers & Saints Boxed Set by Gene Luen Yang (CGlanovsky)
    Lena Finkle's Magic Barrel: A Graphic Novel by Anya Ulinich (charl08)
    Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea by Guy Delisle (Lucky-Loki)
    Persia Blues, vol. 1: Leaving Home by Dara Naraghi (CassandraStrand)
    CassandraStrand: Both books deal with girls growing up under the restrictions of post-revolutionary Iran and their "escape" to the West.
    Kabul Disco, Book 1: How I Managed Not to be Abducted in Afghanistan by Nicolas Wild (zasmine)
    Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan (Maiasaura)
    Barefoot Gen: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima, Volume 1 by Keiji Nakazawa (LKAYC)
    Unterzakhn by Leela Corman (greydoll)
    greydoll: Graphic novel about lives of Jewish immigrant women in New York in early 20th century

English (216)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (229)
A brilliant combination of histories personal, familial and global, this graphic memoir often simultaneously delivers in each short story the tragic and the heartfelt and the humorous.

It's a family memoir, a bildungsroman, a manifesto on freedom. And as with many extremely well-written books, it is all these and more.

The drawing style is simple - black and white - and gorgeous. The complexity of the ideas and events conveyed - accentuated by this very same simplicity - made me gasp out loud many times and have one overwhelmed weep.

Highly highly recommended. ( )
  kitzyl | Dec 31, 2021 |
Excellent graphic memoir. An emotional and intense look at a history I now want to learn more about. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
  revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |
• Quite eye opening. Teaches you about Iranian history that I had no idea of
• The second half felt slower and dragged a little
• Quite shocking or depressing in moments
• Definitely an interesting read
• 4 ⭐️s ( )
  sianhopper | Dec 6, 2021 |
Even before finishing this book, I already knew it would become one of my favorites ever. It's so clever, sad, funny, informative.. I don't know what took me so long to begin with it , but these two days reading it were very rewarding. ( )
  Leonardo_ | Oct 29, 2021 |

Satrapi, Marjaneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferris, BlakeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merrien, CélineLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ripa, MattiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singh, AnjaliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
This is me when I was 10 years old. This was in 1980.
Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.
This is the Complete Persepolis (books 1-4 or books I+II).
Some editions such as ISBN 009952399X are only called Persepolis, but contain the Complete Persepolis.

Checklist category/categories: Translated from any language EXCEPT French or Japanese
Title: The Complete Persepolis
Author or Creator: Marjane Satrapi
Publisher and number of pages/length of time: 341 pages
Year of publication/release: 2007
Your brief response to the title - Memoir about Marjane's experiences growing up in Iran, living temporarily in Austria and returning back home.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,392,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible