Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the…

Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline: Where the Crew Lives,… (2008)

by Brian David Bruns

71None167,659 (3.52)1

I enjoyed reading this book. It is written in a very relaxed, humorous and friendly way. Quick read (8 hours). It was an entertaining read. A well written eye-opener to how hard the staff really works, and makes you remember there really is a "dark side" in every industry. ( )
  motherwright | Jan 13, 2012 |
An interesting read from the other side of the fence. Or below the decks. As you wish. ( )
  siddartha | Dec 1, 2011 |
After reading this book, I don't know if I can ever go on a cruise. I certainly hope that the way the staff is treated has changed, if it hasn't, well, then, modern slavery is alive and well. It is fun to read about how all the different nationalities got along (or didn't) and the debauchery that takes place behind the scenes. I was also very amused at the nonAmericans view of America.

The way the staff is treated, not only by the cruise line but by the guests on board, is absolutely abhorrent. Please, everyone promise me that you will be nice to your waiters!

One American man becomes the first ever American to finish a contract in the dining room of Carnival Cruise line...and all for a woman. Is he crazy or just stupid? ( )
  bookwormteri | Oct 1, 2009 |
I'm not quite sure if I'll ever take a cruise again after reading this book and what goes on behind the scenes. Great descriptions, many of which make you say, 'yech!' If I do cruise again, I'm taking more money for tips. The dining staff have horrendous work duties and terribly long hours -- unbelievable that any company can get away with that! ( )
  PluggedInLibrarian | Dec 27, 2008 |
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author makes you feel as though you are right along side him working, sweating, swearing through his shift in the dinning room. I wanted to read more and didn't want the story to end. I wrote the author and thankfully he is working on a sequal. ( )
  DGrivetto | Oct 24, 2008 |
Dedicated to my parents, Marty and Audrey, for their endless support and enthusiasm
The shower was, perhaps, the most luxurious of all time.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193236160X, Paperback)

In Cruise Confidential, Brian David Bruns spills the dirt — or in this case, the dirty water — on those romantic, fun-filled vacations at sea. His hilarious chronicle of the year he spent working for Carnival Cruise Lines takes readers down into the areas where the crew works and lives, leaving readers gasping with laughter as they’re assaulted nonstop with events that range from the absurd to the utterly bizarre. Stewards fighting over food. Cutlery allowances and other nonsensical rules. What the crew calls those onboard (no, it’s not “passengers”). And of course, the sex. An abundance of ready, willing, and able bodies eager for action on a vessel replete with nooks and crannies leads to love in some mighty strange, and seemingly impossible, places. Breezy, entertaining, and informative, Cruise Confidential is essential reading for those planning a cruise or for anyone who just needs a good laugh.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:23 -0400)

Brian David Bruns spills the dirt--or in this case, the dirty water--on those romantic, fun-filled vacations at sea. His hilarious chronicle of the year he spent working for Carnival Cruise Lines takes readers down into the areas where the crew works and lives for events that range from the absurd to the utterly bizarre. Stewards fighting over food. Cutlery allowances and other nonsensical rules. What the crew calls those onboard (no, it's not "passengers"). And of course, the sex. An abundance of ready, willing, and able bodies eager for action on a vessel replete with nooks and crannies leads to love in some mighty strange, and seemingly impossible, places. Breezy, entertaining, and informative, this is for anyone planning a cruise, or for anyone who just needs a good laugh.--From publisher description.… (more)

Brian David Bruns is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,508,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible