Toward the Within by Dead Can Dance

Toward the Within

by Dead Can Dance

Product Details

* Audio CD (October 25, 1994)
* Original Release Date: October 25, 1994
* Number of Discs: 1
* Format: Live, Soundtrack
* Label: 4ad / Wea
* Catalog Number: 45769
* ASIN: B000002MV0
* Also Available in: Audio CD
* Average Customer Review: based on 43 reviews. (Write a review.)
* Amazon.com Sales Rank: #13,535 in Music (See Top Sellers in Music)
Yesterday: #42,528 in Music

Listen to Samples
To hear a song sample, click on "Listen" by that sample. Visit our audio help page for more information.
Windows Media RealOne Player
12. Song Of The Sibyl Listen
13. Tristan Listen
14. Sanvean Listen
15. Don't Fade Away Listen
Tag this product (What's this?)

Edit your tags
ok cancel
Your tags:
(Edit)
(Separate multiple tags with commas)
Customers tagged this item with
First tag: cd (Bruce Davis on Dec 11, 2005)
Last tag: CD

CD (1), cd (1)
Customers who tagged this item

* Laura Melton "Laurabelle"

* Bruce Davis

Spotlight Reviews
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
Search Customer Reviews

11 of 14 people found the following review helpful:
Dead Can Dance can do no wrong, March 23, 2004
Reviewer: MoonGoddess (Ontario, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm astounded by the haunting beauty of Dead Can Dance. They truly were, and still are, one of the greatest bands around! Although Lisa Gerrard has been successful at her work on solo projects and movie soundtracks since the demise of DCD, I wish they would join forces one last time to create another breathtaking album. Of course I don't yet own their entire catalogue so I'll be patient for that hopeful day to arrive...

I admit to liking the faster world songs with upbeat percussion, which usually feature the vocals of Brendan Perry, over the slower more somber pieces that LG tends to sing but they balance it out so well on 'Toward The Within' - a record filled with live performances taken from their concert in Santa Monica, California - that it flows without notice as every track keeps you captive. Plus they both have such enticing voices that run deep with emotion and, despite how different they are, it wouldn't be the same without one or the other.

The fact that this isn't a studio album but something given straight up and raw makes the experience of listening to this that much more personal. If they messed up they messed up but the musicians played impeccably and in turn made a masterpiece that just might be deemed as the best work they ever did. That will always be an argument never settled, though, as every fan has their own opinion for the darkly lavished 'Within The Realm of a Dying Sun' along with the renaissance fair of 'Aion' were also very good and those two were later released.

Point is, whether you have all these songs or not, this is an album worth having for the sheer unraveling of talent unfolding.

Every track is great with A+ production quality but my absolute favorites include "Rakim", "Desert Song", "Yulunga (Spirit Dance)", "American Dreaming", "Cantara" and "Oman".

{Also check out the VHS version}

Was this review helpful to you? YesNo (Report this)

10 of 11 people found the following review helpful:
Their best work, March 27, 2004
Reviewer: Jon Norris (Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
Toward The Within is the high point of Dead Can Dance's catalog, IMHO. I discovered DCD with the video from which this soundtrack was taken. Discovered is an understatement. It was more like knocked on my backside by a bolt of lightning.

I have not heard anything like this mixture of music before or since. This band would be equally at home in ancient Egypt, on Babylon 5, or in Valhalla. The way they weave Celtic, Germanic, Turkish, Egyptian, African, and who knows what other influences and instruments with synthesizers and electric bass is unique beyond verbal description.

Lisa Girrard's voice is unbelievable. You really have to see the video because they do closeups while she is singing, and it is quite powerful to see her actually producing these sounds. Her voice is like one would imagine a valkyrie - the power of a tsunami with the delicacy of a hummingbird all at the same time. When you hear some female singers, like Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Enya, etc., you see goddess archetypes like Diana or Isis. With Lisa it is more like Kali. This is feminine energy, but it hits you like a freight train in the chest. Which is not to say it is harsh or ragged. Quite the contrary, she exhibits a control over her voice that is remarkable. She weaves soft Celtic lilting notes with deep, powerful tones, modulated by a Turkish or Berber-style vibrato that is amazing. Think German opera blended with belly dancing music and you will be in the ballpark, although that description really misses the true power and beauty of the songs. This is a woman who makes you feel the goddess in your gut as well as your heart, like Ann Wilson, Tina Turner, Janis Joplin, etc., but with a decidedly surreal twist. Lisa often sings in a language she creates herself, which adds to the mystique of their music. In some ways, she reminds me of Nina Hagen, although Hagen went from opera to more average punk rock. The power and control of their voices seems similar to me.

I don't care for the more traditional folksongs, although they are very well done. The quality of the other musicians is superb, and again, watching them in the video gives you an added perspective to the way all the different influences weave together.

If you like world music with a touch of other-worldliness, try out this CD. It is not for the faint of heart or those who like common, run-of-the-mill music of any flavor. This is very different stuff indeed.
  pantufla | Feb 21, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,723,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible