World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie…

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Max Brooks

10,382561276 (4.01)3 / 622
Member:LouBriccant
Title:World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Authors:Max Brooks
Info:Three Rivers Press (2007), Paperback, 352 pages

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (2006)

Feed by Mira Grant (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (divinenanny)
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse in the longer term.
    The Stand {1978} by Stephen King (timspalding)
    Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson (timspalding)
    timspalding: Very similar style.
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (infjsarah)
    infjsarah: Older sci-fi but still very effective. Survival against mindless, ever increasing enemy.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (timspalding)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (stmartins)
    stmartins: Also a killer Zombie thriller and an awesome first book in the "Joe Ledger" series. Teaser and free prequal story avaiable at stmartins.com/JonathanMaberry
    Y: The Last Man Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan (MyriadBooks)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: Both are tales of how to survive a world gone mad, though there are no zombies in Butler's. Both works' treatment of the human questions are equally nuanced, variable, and detailed.
    Zombie CSU: The Forensics of the Living Dead by Jonathan Maberry (ShelfMonkey)
    Zone One by Colson Whitehead (ahstrick)
    The Three by Sarah Lotz (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Speculative fiction, same piecey storytelling style.
    The Rising by Brian Keene (yoyogod)
    yoyogod: The Rising is probably my favorite zombie novel.
    Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: A completely different take on zombies: here, they're not "out to get you," just beings who may or may not have souls, and Lindqvist treats all those related questions.
    Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S. G. Browne (FFortuna)
    Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne (rcollett)
    rcollett: Great Books!
    Zombies of Byzantium by Sean Munger (meggyweg)
    Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End by Manel Loureiro (jorvaor)
    jorvaor: Similar zombie apocalypse from a single protagonist point of view.
    Fallout by Todd Strasser (meggyweg)

English (547)  French (7)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All (562)
I started writing this with a sigh. A heavy sigh. I started reading this book several months ago, but stopped after reading the chapter about the soldier trained dogs. Human death and destruction I can deal with, but animal death and destruction is too much.

But after finished Shopaholic, I needed something else to read and I knew I needed to finish World War Z.

The book is about a plague that turns people into zombies. The book is a continuous report by one reporter interviewing people from all over the world. Each interview somehow ties into the following interview - a path of stories cris-crossing the globe. Everyone is interviewed - a young woman who is part of a new type Peace Corp who goes to Iceland to help wipe out the zombies there to a Russian priest who basically murders those who become infected to a man who trains dogs to be scouts and soldiers against the zombies.

There is almost no stone left unturned in this book. Any imaginable zombie story is told - zombies underwater, zombies on cruise ships, zombies in highrise apartment buildings, zombies in the jungle, zombies in cities, zombies, zombies, zombies. But it's less about the zombies and more about the human reaction to the plague and each other.

That to me was more chilling than the actual carnage of zombies eating flesh. The things people did to survive. The use of humans as bait. The use of little dogs like Dachsunds to hunt out zombies.

The world was turned upside down. It might as well have been a nuclear holocaust.

This is definitely more of a psychological thriller than it is horror fic, or at least I thought it that way. I do know that should a zombie apocalypse occur, I'm screwed. If I survive without being infected the life afterward is just not one I'm nearly prepared to live in. We've just hit hurricane season here in Florida and I think about losing our electricity - not for the losing the lights or tv, but losing my AC, my running toilet water. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
While this is the "Complete Edition" audiobook, it is not entirely unabridged. It does not have all the words from the written book, even discounting footnotes. ( )
  ktoonen | Apr 16, 2017 |
I reread this book after seeing the movie that was just released and it's like having a 5 course meal after eating a light snack.

The movie is a typical action adventure with some American that ran around the globe and saved the day. Boring....

The book covers a multitude of countries with a documentary feel that never gets in the way of the story of the survivors. Haunting, sad, inspiring - the book travels the globe and gives you narrative that describes humanity's reaction to the zombies. The devastation to our civilization is never muted, and I raced through the pages to the end. Recommended. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
Great concept and interesting read. My attention wavered near the end, and I'm not a machine/weapons person, so the sections describing them were a little rough. Altogether, a great read! ( )
  Trotsky731 | Mar 16, 2017 |
4.75 stars

I really enjoyed the style of World War Z. I like how it showed the global aspects instead of sticking to certain people. It was so interesting and seemed much more believable than any other zombie book I've read. It doesn't actually focus so much on the zombies; yet, it's still one of the scariest zompoc novels because of the fact that it seems so realistic. WWZ is the first to make me actually fearful of the possibilities.

My biggest issue is that it feels like so much was left out, or maybe it's just that I wanted more so badly. It wasn't a short story, but I felt like it went too quickly. Also, I didn't know about or read the book that preceded it (The Zombie Survival Guide) which is probably a major reason it felt that way to me. I will definitely be checking it out soon.

UPDATE: I watched the movie yesterday. It's very different from the book. I like both. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

Reiner, CarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiner, RobNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tran, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Henry Michael Brooks,
who makes me want to change the world.
Bana dünyayı değiştirme isteği veren
Henry Michael Brooks için...
Introduction - It goes by many names: "The Crisis," "The Dark Years," "The Walking Plague," as well as newer and more "hip" titles such as "World War Z" or "Z War One."
Setting - Greater Chongqing, the United Federation of China
Chapter One - The first outbreak I saw was in a remote village that offically had no name.
'Fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe' Turn on the TV what are you seeing? People selling you products? No. People selling you the fear of you having to live without their products' Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells. pg 55 (edit)

“The end was near.” —Voices from the Zombie War

The Zombie War came unthinkably close to eradicating humanity. Max Brooks, driven by the urgency of preserving the acid-etched first-hand experiences of the survivors from those apocalyptic years, traveled across the United States of America and throughout the world, from decimated cities that once teemed with upwards of thirty million souls to the most remote and inhospitable areas of the planet. He recorded the testimony of men, women, and sometimes children who came face-to-face with the living, or at least the undead, hell of that dreadful time. World War Z is the result. Never before have we had access to a document that so powerfully conveys the depth of fear and horror, and also the ineradicable spirit of resistance, that gripped human society through the plague years.

Ranging from the now infamous village of New Dachang in the United Federation of China, where the epidemiological trail began with the twelve-year-old Patient Zero, to the unnamed northern forests where untold numbers sought a terrible and temporary refuge in the cold, to the United States of Southern Africa, where the Redeker Plan provided hope for humanity at an unspeakable price, to the west-of-the-Rockies redoubt where the North American tide finally started to turn, this invaluable chronicle reflects the full scope and duration of the Zombie War.

Most of all, the book captures with haunting immediacy the human dimension of this epochal event. Facing the often raw and vivid nature of these personal accounts requires a degree of courage on the part of the reader, but the effort is invaluable because, as Mr. Brooks says in his introduction, “By excluding the human factor, aren’t we risking the kind of personal detachment from history that may, heaven forbid, lead us one day to repeat it? And in the end, isn’t the human factor the only true difference between us and the enemy we now refer to as ‘the living dead’?”

Note: Some of the numerical and factual material contained in this edition was previously published under the auspices of the United Nations Postwar Commission.

Eyewitness reports from the first truly global war

“I found ‘Patient Zero’ behind the locked door of an abandoned apartment across town. . . . His wrists and feet were bound with plastic packing twine. Although he’d rubbed off the skin around his bonds, there was no blood. There was also no blood on his other wounds. . . . He was writhing like an animal; a gag muffled his growls. At first the villagers tried to hold me back. They warned me not to touch him, that he was ‘cursed.’ I shrugged them off and reached for my mask and gloves. The boy’s skin was . . . cold and gray . . . I could find neither his heartbeat nor his pulse.” —Dr. Kwang Jingshu, Greater Chongqing, United Federation of China

“‘Shock and Awe’? Perfect name. . . . But what if the enemy can’t be shocked and awed? Not just won’t, but biologically can’t! That’s what happened that day outside New York City, that’s the failure that almost lost us the whole damn war. The fact that we couldn’t shock and awe Zack boomeranged right back in our faces and actually allowed Zack to shock and awe us! They’re not afraid! No matter what we do, no matter how many we kill, they will never, ever be afraid!” —Todd Wainio, former U.S. Army infantryman and veteran of the Battle of Yonkers

“Two hundred million zombies. Who can even visualize that type of number, let alone combat it? . . . For the first time in history, we faced an enemy that was actively waging total war. They had no limits of endurance. They would never negotiate, never surrender. They would fight until the very end because, unlike us, every single one of them, every second of every day, was devoted to consuming all life on Earth.” —General Travis D’Ambrosia, Supreme Allied Commander, Europe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

An account of the decade-long conflict between humankind and hordes of the predatory undead is told from the perspective of dozens of survivors who describe in their own words the epic human battle for survival.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,381,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible