Fantastic beasts and where to find them by…

Fantastic beasts and where to find them (original 2001; edition 2001)

by J. K. Rowling

11,724137422 (3.68)1 / 158
A description of beasts, believed by Muggles to be mythical, like the Quintaped, the Puffskein, and the Knarl.
Member:LRHub
Title:Fantastic beasts and where to find them
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Info:New York : Arthur A. Levine Books, 2001.
Rating:*****

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J. K. Rowling (2001)

English (131)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (136)
With the new movies coming out. This little book that once was made for charity Has some updating to do. I got this book as a gift from my boyfriend on Christmas eve. I already own the old little red book, but I guess my boyfriend thought that I wanted the new illustrated one as well.

This book is more of a schoolbook than anything else. There is no story whatsoever. In the Wizarding World there are creatures that are called magical beast. This book have been put together by "Newt Scamander" for research purposes by the Hogwarts students or people who want to know more about magical beast. The first edition of this book was released in the early 2000's. That book was made like an actual schoolbook with little doodles by Harry, Ron and Hermione. Because of the new movies and more and more beasts getting into the universe it needed some updating. This edition is filled with illustrations about the different beasts and their whereabouts, while maintaining the information part about the beasts.

To be completely honest I did not care for this that much. I already read the old version of this and I remember enjoying it way more than I did this. All of the little doodles and little written things that were in that book just made it come alive. After all of the Harry Potter books getting the "illustrated" treatment. I was kinda looking forward seeing all of the beasts come to life. Unfortunately the illustrations were really bad in my opinion. All of the drawings looked more like they were from different artists than one coherent piece. Some of the drawings just didn't make any sense with the corresponding beasts. Some were kinda boring and nothing really new. To top it all of I even found an illustration that didn't even have a beast in it! After all of the things that are happening in the Wizarding World. I don't think we as fan can look at things the same. We are more critical and rightfully so. I think of this as just one more thing I don't agree with.

If you are a massive Harry Potter fan, I recommend you look into the old edition. I'm saying this because I think it has more to offer. ( )
  luclicious | Sep 20, 2021 |
Nicely illustrated. Using for an escape room! ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |
The last of my three "Potterverse" curiosity items, this one was almost as fun as the other two. It's still worth the very short read, as this one highlights the incredible imagination of Rowling...kind of like [author:Clive Barker|10366] without the malice or the sex.

Good fun. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
2.5-2.75 ( )
  MagpieBricolage | Jul 17, 2021 |
audiobook (read by Eddie Redmayne)
since this is merely a "textbook" listing and descriptions of magical creatures A-Z, plus a little history, it's not as entertaining as the HP series, but listening to the voice of Newt (plus some sound effects) is not a bad way to pass a couple hours either. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scamander, Newtmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gill, Olivia LomenechIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dumbledore, AlbusPrefacesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Buddingh', WiebeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dellepiane Rawson, AliciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Newton 'Newt' Artemis Fido Scamander was born in 1897.

AR Level 8.8, 2 pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,497,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible