Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by…

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (original 2001; edition 2001)

by J.K. Rowling

9,963112461 (3.67)1 / 150
A description of beasts, believed by Muggles to be mythical, like the Quintaped, the Puffskein, and the Knarl.
Member:montage
Title:Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Arthur A. Levine Books (2001), Edition: 1st American ed, Mass Market Paperback, 64 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Own, Fantasy, Harry Potter, Witchcraft, Fiction

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J. K. Rowling (2001)

English (108)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (113)
In preparation for the film release of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (set to release November 2016), and in order to fill up a slot for my The Secret Book Club Reading Challenge this year (read a book that became a movie/ TV series), I ordered myself the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them book. This book is one third of the Hogwarts Library, and was on special the day, so I thought why not.

Well, folks, let me just tell you that although I finished reading this little book in a day, I've already referred to it on several occasions. The first time was when I re-watched the trailer for the upcoming movie (I wanted to see what Fantastic Beasts we can expect), the second time was when I watched Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban the other day and I wanted to find out more about Griffins (not too much in there that I didn't know about Griffins, but I was interested in its classification). I also went back to this little book when I realised I have a similar creature in one of my stories, so that was interesting too.

What I'm trying to say is that, although I know this is a fantasy non-fiction type of book, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is going to help you navigate the world of Harry Potter. With little handwritten titbits by Harry and Ron scribbled into the book, you'll smile and imagine some of our favourite characters goofing off during school hours. It's a lot of fun, and handy.

So, before the film gets released, I suggest you get your hands on this book (if you don't have it yet), and study up. Now, I just need the other two books in the Hogwarts Library in the set ... ( )
  MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |
I feel like a monster for saying thing, but I struggle with the extended HP canon. I did not enjoy any of the eBook short story compilations that were issued last year, although I bought them all. This reads like a textbook, which I suppose it kind of is. It's about as much fun to read as any field guide. I would recommend the audiobook version because it has some cute sound effects, but it is still rather tedious. ( )
  DGRachel | Jun 14, 2019 |
Carino... ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
This is an accompaniment to the original series which is going to spawn a new movie franchise, of course. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Apr 24, 2019 |
I'm just... completely disinterested in this book. I like the other two Hogwarts Library books a lot, but Fantastic Beasts reads like a textbook and I was utterly bored. I've actually lowered the score from my previous one when I was a kid. A lot of these entries are very vague and unhelpful, especially on the magical creatures that Rowling pulled from mythology. Many of the entries are littered with anecdotes, some of which are interesting, but many of which are not.

Additionally, the book has Ron and Harry's scribblings in it. If they were more frequent, this could have been interesting, but they're only a couple of snide comments about Hagrid and some Chudley Cannons graffiti that really didn't add anything to the enjoyment of the book.

I support the original publishing of the book, because Rowling's royalties were donated to charity, but honestly, if you're looking for a compendium of magical beasts... there are more interesting, more detailed ones out there. ( )
  Morteana | Jan 12, 2019 |

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scamander, Newtmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gill, Olivia LomenechIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dumbledore, AlbusPrefacesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Newton 'Newt' Artemis Fido Scamander was born in 1897.

AR Level 8.8, 2 pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,821,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible