A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang…

A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes (1988)

by Stephen Hawking

Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays by Stephen W. Hawking (gandalf_grey)
    Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher by Richard P. Feynman (OccamsHammer)
    The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality by Brian Greene (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Although it's longer, Brian Greene's book is much more easily digestible. Plus, he gives you an idea of what they're hoping to discover at the Large Hadron Collider.
    Knowledge and Wonder by Victor F. Weisskopf (erik_galicki)
    erik_galicki: I think Weisskopf strikes a better balance between big picture and detail. Hawking provides more detail on particle physics and cosmology, but I think Weisskopf makes the connections between the two more apparent and clearer.
    From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time by Sean Carroll (steve.clason)
    Chaos and Harmony: Perspectives on Scientific Revolutions of the 20th Century by Xuan Thuan Trinh (Louve_de_mer)
    The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality by Dalai Lama XIV (leahsimone)

English (128)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  Greek (1)  All (143)
A Brief History of Time strives to questions like "where did the universe come from?" and "how will it end?". Hawking uses two theories to communicate how scientists answer these questions; general relativity and quantum mechanics. The book starts with a history of physics, Newton, Einstein, and all that jazz. Then it goes into how the universe is expanding. After that, Hawking tells about the idea that we could understand the universe's future as long as we knew everything about it at any time during the past or present. He also talks about how that theory was debunked, by quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle. Next, it delves into the quark, the smallest known bits in the universe that are thought to make up everything. Then, we learn what happens when a star's fuel supply dries up. Moreover, the book covers the origin and fate of our universe. Lastly, Hawking talks about his three types of time theory and time travel. I absolutely loved this book. It made me think about how little I actually understood about, well, everything! Even though it made me a little confused sometimes, it taught me so much. I especially liked learning about quarks and time travel. It was very well written, also. In addition, I liked learning about the origin of the universe. This book just helps prove that Stephen Hawking was a genius. ( )
  AriannaC.B4 | Mar 22, 2018 |
Blew my mind. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
As a fairly frequent reader of popular science, I've heard some of the stuff in A Brief History of Time described better elsewhere (particularly string theory), but how could you not want to spend some time in the company of one of the finest intellects of our time? Hawking was (and still is) a pioneer of some of the discoveries unpacked here, and he brings us into his thought process and how he came to make these deductions. This makes it different from many other popular science books, but it is also thrilling in itself.

Some of the deductions made in astronomy are awe-inspiring – just think how impressive an intellect an ancient Greek or Renaissance man must be to overcome the myths of his time and understand the complexities of planetary orbits, just from looking through a telescope and doing some maths, let alone a modern astrophysicist conceptualizing black holes, spacetime and string theory. It makes you proud of mankind (even if your brain throbs trying to understand it) that 'we' are discovering this stuff (to this very day, with things like the Higgs boson and gravitational waves). It is exploration not physical, but with pure thought. If you want to map a coastline, you sail along it. If you discover an island, you have to stumble across it. But space doesn't allow that physical contact. This is something else – something even more impressive. It is a fine testament to the logical capabilities of the human mind. ( )
2 vote MikeFutcher | Mar 6, 2018 |
If this was for the layman, then I'm the idiot.
Wow this book made me feel stupid. ( )
  shorte | Feb 26, 2018 |
Hawking is brilliant. He makes complex topics seem easy and fun. ( )
  JustinKimball | Feb 14, 2018 |
Through his cerebral journeys, Mr. Hawking is bravely taking some of the first, though tentative, steps toward quantizing the early universe, and he offers us a provocative glimpse of the work in progress.

Hawking, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jackson, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kober, HainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kreitmeyer, JensCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, RonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sagan, CarlIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, BerndConsultant (German Translation)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Souriau, IsabelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varteva, RistoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated
to Jane
Introduction
We go about our daily lives understanding almost nothing of the world.
Che cosa sappiamo sull'universo, e come lo sappiamo? Da dove è venuto, e dove sta andando? L'universo ebbe un inizio e, in tal caso cosa c'era prima? Il tempo avrà mai una fine?" Con questi quesiti Stephen Hawking ci introduce in una straordinaria avventura: un'emozionante cavalcata nel tempo. L'espansione dell'universo, il principio di indeterminazione, le particelle elementari e le forze della natura, l'origine e la sorte dell'universo, l'unificazione della fisica sono le grandi tappe di questo viaggio indimenticabile. Ma oltre a riassumere le conoscenze tradizionali Hawking illustra le ultime teorie sulla fisica dei buchi neri, il principio antropico, la teoria dell'universo inflazionario, l'universo contenuto in una bolla.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553380168, Paperback)

Stephen Hawking, one of the most brilliant theoretical physicists in history, wrote the modern classic A Brief History of Time to help nonscientists understand the questions being asked by scientists today: Where did the universe come from? How and why did it begin? Will it come to an end, and if so, how? Hawking attempts to reveal these questions (and where we're looking for answers) using a minimum of technical jargon. Among the topics gracefully covered are gravity, black holes, the Big Bang, the nature of time, and physicists' search for a grand unifying theory. This is deep science; these concepts are so vast (or so tiny) as to cause vertigo while reading, and one can't help but marvel at Hawking's ability to synthesize this difficult subject for people not used to thinking about things like alternate dimensions. The journey is certainly worth taking, for, as Hawking says, the reward of understanding the universe may be a glimpse of "the mind of God." --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

"In the ten years since its publication in 1988, Stephen Hawking's classic work has become a landmark volume in scientific writing, with more than nine million copies in forty languages sold worldwide. That edition was on the cutting edge of what was then known about the origins and nature of the universe. But the intervening years have seen extraordinary advances in the technology of observing both the micro- and the macrocosmic worlds. These observations have confirmed many of Professor Hawking's theoretical predictions in the first edition of his book, including the recent discoveries of the Cosmic Background Explorer satellite (COBE), which probed back in time to within 300,000 years of the universe's beginning and revealed wrinkles in the fabric of space-time that he had projected." "Eager to bring to his original text the new knowledge revealed by these observations, as well as his own recent research, Professor Hawking has prepared a new introduction to the book, written an entirely new chapter on wormholes and time travel, and updated the chapters throughout."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,544,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible