A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang…

A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes (1988)

by Stephen Hawking

Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays by Stephen W. Hawking (gandalf_grey)
    Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher by Richard P. Feynman (OccamsHammer)
    The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality by Brian Greene (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Although it's longer, Brian Greene's book is much more easily digestible. Plus, he gives you an idea of what they're hoping to discover at the Large Hadron Collider.
    Knowledge and Wonder by Victor F. Weisskopf (erik_galicki)
    erik_galicki: I think Weisskopf strikes a better balance between big picture and detail. Hawking provides more detail on particle physics and cosmology, but I think Weisskopf makes the connections between the two more apparent and clearer.
    From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time by Sean Carroll (steve.clason)
    Chaos and Harmony: Perspectives on Scientific Revolutions of the 20th Century by Xuan Thuan Trinh (Louve_de_mer)
    The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality by Dalai Lama XIV (leahsimone)

English (138)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  Greek (1)  French (1)  All languages (153)
Although very good, the title is quite apt in calling it the "Brief" History of Time. The book is barely 200 pages in length, but the content more than makes up for it by being really accessible and enjoyable. The book covers the basics of fundamental cosmology; it considers the Big Bang and all of that along with the Arrow of Time, Time Travel, Wormholes and other things. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Historia del tiempo es un libro de divulgación sobre el espacio y el tiempo escrito por uno de los físicos teóricos más prestigiosos de la actualidad. En él Stephen W. Hawking presenta de forma clara y concisa los conceptos fundamentales de la mecánica newtoniana, la teoría de la relatividad, la mecánica cuántica y la cosmología contemporánea, temas todos ellos que, junto a su interés intrínseco, permiten enmarcar el problema de fondo tratado en el libro: el origen del universo y la creación del espacio-tiempo, llegando a asomarse a campos más amplios y aventurados, como la metafísica e incluso la teología, al plantearse la naturaleza de un Dios creador, o más bien garante del sentido del universo
  Haijavivi | Jun 6, 2019 |
I am mostly reading this book to finish off my list of must-read books, and as I've been curious about this book for many years, since Carl Sagan wrote his introduction (as I seeem to recall, about the same time he was the keynote speaker for the joint session in 1992 in DC of the two major astronomical and physics societies in the US).

I had not known that we knew that the speed of light was finite so early (1676?) -I thought that had been discovered by Einstein and confirmed by the Michaelson-Moorely experiment.

Very nice to see Bell Labs from [b:Three Degrees Above Zero: Bell Laboratories in the Information Age|3602937|Three Degrees Above Zero Bell Laboratories in the Information Age|Jeremy Bernstein|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/book/50x75-a91bf249278a81aabab721ef782c4a74.png|3645654] mentioned.

I didn't finish the book as it seems to repeat a good deal of physics that I have already read years ago, like [b:The Holographic Universe|319014|The Holographic Universe|Michael Talbot|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1347752336s/319014.jpg|1842572], which I recall being far more interesting, and am no longer as interested in today. ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |

ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
I'm rather pleased with myself for having finished this book yet a second time. I'm even more delighted that this go-round I have understood almost 15% of the book, which is more than twice what I was able to wrap my mind around when I first read it two decades ago. I'm not particularly qualified to review or rate it, but I was satisfied with my reading. It was meant to be an exercise of the mind, seeing what I could mentally bench press. It has been rather successful to that extent, so I will give it a relatively arbitrary 4-stars. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Oct 28, 2018 |
Through his cerebral journeys, Mr. Hawking is bravely taking some of the first, though tentative, steps toward quantizing the early universe, and he offers us a provocative glimpse of the work in progress.

Hawking, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jackson, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonkers, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kober, HainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kreitmeyer, JensCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, RonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sagan, CarlIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, BerndConsultant (German Translation)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Souriau, IsabelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varteva, RistoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated
to Jane
Introduction
We go about our daily lives understanding almost nothing of the world.
Che cosa sappiamo sull'universo, e come lo sappiamo? Da dove è venuto, e dove sta andando? L'universo ebbe un inizio e, in tal caso cosa c'era prima? Il tempo avrà mai una fine?" Con questi quesiti Stephen Hawking ci introduce in una straordinaria avventura: un'emozionante cavalcata nel tempo. L'espansione dell'universo, il principio di indeterminazione, le particelle elementari e le forze della natura, l'origine e la sorte dell'universo, l'unificazione della fisica sono le grandi tappe di questo viaggio indimenticabile. Ma oltre a riassumere le conoscenze tradizionali Hawking illustra le ultime teorie sulla fisica dei buchi neri, il principio antropico, la teoria dell'universo inflazionario, l'universo contenuto in una bolla.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553380168, Paperback)

Stephen Hawking, one of the most brilliant theoretical physicists in history, wrote the modern classic A Brief History of Time to help nonscientists understand the questions being asked by scientists today: Where did the universe come from? How and why did it begin? Will it come to an end, and if so, how? Hawking attempts to reveal these questions (and where we're looking for answers) using a minimum of technical jargon. Among the topics gracefully covered are gravity, black holes, the Big Bang, the nature of time, and physicists' search for a grand unifying theory. This is deep science; these concepts are so vast (or so tiny) as to cause vertigo while reading, and one can't help but marvel at Hawking's ability to synthesize this difficult subject for people not used to thinking about things like alternate dimensions. The journey is certainly worth taking, for, as Hawking says, the reward of understanding the universe may be a glimpse of "the mind of God." --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

"In the ten years since its publication in 1988, Stephen Hawking's classic work has become a landmark volume in scientific writing, with more than nine million copies in forty languages sold worldwide. That edition was on the cutting edge of what was then known about the origins and nature of the universe. But the intervening years have seen extraordinary advances in the technology of observing both the micro- and the macrocosmic worlds. These observations have confirmed many of Professor Hawking's theoretical predictions in the first edition of his book, including the recent discoveries of the Cosmic Background Explorer satellite (COBE), which probed back in time to within 300,000 years of the universe's beginning and revealed wrinkles in the fabric of space-time that he had projected." "Eager to bring to his original text the new knowledge revealed by these observations, as well as his own recent research, Professor Hawking has prepared a new introduction to the book, written an entirely new chapter on wormholes and time travel, and updated the chapters throughout."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,555,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible