A Brief History Of Time: From Big Bang To…

A Brief History Of Time: From Big Bang To Black Holes (original 1988; edition 2011)

by Stephen Hawking (Auteur)

13,109201381 (3.89)270
Stephen W. Hawking, widely regarded as the most brilliant physicist since Einstein, discusses in a friendly and self-deprecating manner age-old questions about the origin and fate of the universe. Difficult concepts are made simple by Hawking's familiar, accessible prose.
Member:Mammadalt
Title:A Brief History Of Time: From Big Bang To Black Holes
Authors:Stephen Hawking (Auteur)
Info:Bantam (2011), Edition: 01, 272 pages
Tags:

Work Information

A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes by Stephen Hawking (1988)

Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher by Richard P. Feynman (OccamsHammer)
    Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays by Stephen W. Hawking (gandalf_grey)
    Chaos and Harmony: Perspectives on Scientific Revolutions of the 20th Century by Xuan Thuan Trinh (Louve_de_mer)
    The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality by Brian Greene (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Although it's longer, Brian Greene's book is much more easily digestible. Plus, he gives you an idea of what they're hoping to discover at the Large Hadron Collider.
    From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time by Sean Carroll (steve.clason)
    Knowledge and Wonder by Victor F. Weisskopf (erik_galicki)
    erik_galicki: I think Weisskopf strikes a better balance between big picture and detail. Hawking provides more detail on particle physics and cosmology, but I think Weisskopf makes the connections between the two more apparent and clearer.
    The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality by Dalai Lama XIV (leahsimone)

English (94)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (112)
Brilliant. An overview of all the interesting physics that I hoped to understand. Unfortunately, Hawking doesn't manage to achieve that for me despite his use of excellent analogies and diagrams; maybe the odd formula or two would have helped? ( )
  tarsel | Sep 4, 2022 |
Summary: Deep dive summary of the world of physics over the last 500 odd years.

Things I liked:

Objective: Trying to break heavy duty science into the language and ideas that regular folk can understand is a noble cause and one I endorse.

Style: I liked the chatty style with lots of allusion to his individual life and people he knew. Some of the metaphors he used really helped me to visualise some pretty crazy ideas (like shrinking and expanding universesusususs....).

Things I thought could be improved.

The Middle Bit: The first part is easy to follow and interesting. The last bit is thought provoking and provides a good justification of his purpose. The middle bit dives right off the deep end IMHO. I remember just telling myself to 'keep reading', kind of like when your listening to a really
brainy person talk. You don't understand 80% of what your hearing but have faith that it will all make sense towards the end. To some extent that's true of my experience, but I definately felt 'very' lost when he's going on about the spin of virtual particles and the underlying assumptions that have challenged theoretical physicists across the years.

Standout: The idea of a 'bumpy' big bang full of little irregularities that later became us and everything we know. Like blowing up balloon, it
starts out weird looking but ends up nice, round and smooth. ( )
  benkaboo | Aug 18, 2022 |
7/8/22
  laplantelibrary | Jul 8, 2022 |
  archivomorero | Jun 27, 2022 |
Wow. This book ends with little microbiographies of Einstein, Galileo, and Newton. That... was a treat.
  brutalstirfry | May 6, 2022 |
Through his cerebral journeys, Mr. Hawking is bravely taking some of the first, though tentative, steps toward quantizing the early universe, and he offers us a provocative glimpse of the work in progress.

Hawking, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jackson, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jonkers, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kober, HainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kreitmeyer, JensCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, RonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sagan, CarlIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, BerndConsultant (German Translation)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Souriau, IsabelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varteva, RistoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated
to Jane
We go about our daily lives understanding almost nothing of the world.

Introduction.
A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy.

1. Our picture of the universe.

Che cosa sappiamo sull'universo, e come lo sappiamo? Da dove è venuto, e dove sta andando? L'universo ebbe un inizio e, in tal caso cosa c'era prima? Il tempo avrà mai una fine?" Con questi quesiti Stephen Hawking ci introduce in una straordinaria avventura: un'emozionante cavalcata nel tempo. L'espansione dell'universo, il principio di indeterminazione, le particelle elementari e le forze della natura, l'origine e la sorte dell'universo, l'unificazione della fisica sono le grandi tappe di questo viaggio indimenticabile. Ma oltre a riassumere le conoscenze tradizionali Hawking illustra le ultime teorie sulla fisica dei buchi neri, il principio antropico, la teoria dell'universo inflazionario, l'universo contenuto in una bolla.
(piopas)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,547,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible