Stop Being Mean to Yourself: A Story About…

Stop Being Mean to Yourself: A Story About Finding The True Meaning of…

by Melody Beattie

So, after having decided I liked some of what I read by [a: Melody Beattie|4482|Melody Beattie|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1271957484p2/4482.jpg] I wanted to work my way through the bulk of her writing. She was an interesting writer, some of her ideas resonated with me, and I felt like at the very least I could learn something from each of her books. They weren't necessarily life-changing, but they were interesting and helping me to reframe some of the ways I view the world and my relationships with others. That's always a good thing, right?

I was intrigued by the title of this one. Who isn't mean to themselves now and then? And was curious to read what she had to say about it all. Rather than it being a self-help book, though, this book was more of a travel memoir interspersed with clumsy additions of mystical experiences that ultimately didn't go anywhere. It read more like a first draft than a finished manuscript, and I was quite frankly surprised by just how shoddy the bulk of the editing job was. At no point did the book truly feel cohesive to me, and rarely do I find when reading anything other than the first book of any given author.

I wanted to get more out of this book than I did. I came away from it with the knowledge that everyone has their own difficulties, and that a bit of empathy is generally a good thing. That, however, isn't necessarily a surprising message and it's one better presented through the soap-opera of [b: The Outsiders|231804|The Outsiders|S.E. Hinton|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1442129426s/231804.jpg|1426690] than this travel memoir. So, yes, I'm still rather confused by this book overall, especially the ending. It didn't really do much of anything for me. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Several years ago I read a couple of Melodie Beattie's books on co-dependency. I thought them thought provoking, so I picked this up at a library sale..

This is a personal memoir of Beattie's. It journals a physical as well as a psychological and spiritual journey.

In 1996, Beattie was moved by the site of a crescent moon and star in the sky to travel to northern Africa. She landed in Casablanca which she found impenetrable. She then moved on, against much advice, to worn-torn and hostile Algeria. Miraculously, she found a guide who was willing to share with her some of the history and culture of this war ravaged country.

Finally, she went to Egypt. Again, she found a guide who showed her the beauty of his culture, brought her into his home, and arranged for her to meditate in a pyramid so she could feel its power.

I enjoyed the descriptions of northern Africa, especially those of Algeria, which due to sanctions, is mysterious to many westerners. It was interesting to see Beattie's moments of spiritual clarity and growth of independence. The book was a fairly interesting, quick read, but definitely didn't offer any life changing bits to me. ( )
  streamsong | Mar 8, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006251119X, Hardcover)

Using the unlikely backdrop of Northern Africa, Melody Beattie (author of Co-Dependent No More) blends the genres of travel adventure and spiritual quest. Traveling mishaps such as being led unknowingly into the souk of Cairo (rumored to be a clandestine marketplace of no return), become metaphors for learning how to let go of fear while still honoring your instincts. Interrogations at border crossings symbolize the self-examination we must endure before crossing over to a new stage of enlightenment. Fortunately, this is not a U.S.-centric travelogue. In war-ravaged Algiers, Beattie diligently pursues the truth of its people rather than her own reactions to poverty and terrorism. Despite its pop-psychology title, this is a book of impressive depth, exploring the global challenge of loving thy neighbor as well as thy self.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:50 -0400)

An updated sequel to "Codependent No More" shares the story of the author's own spiritual odyssey, explaining how she revitalized her own faith in God, the universe, and herself and sharing universal lessons on how to work from the heart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,211,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible