Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, Book 1) by Eoin…

Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, Book 1) (edition 2002)

by Eoin Colfer

Member:OurClass
Title:Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, Book 1)
Authors:Eoin Colfer
Info:Miramax (2002), Paperback, 304 pages

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (atimco, Morteana)
    atimco: Both feature a slightly ruthless child hero attempting to harness magical beings for his own nefarious ends. Funny and inventive!
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (westher)
    westher: Als je een fan van Holly Short bent is Thursday Next een topper!
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (missmaddie)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (foggidawn)
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: fans of Fowl's integration of a "real world" with a fairy world will appreciate Dust City's setting
    Hamish X and the Cheese Pirates by Sean Cullen (tardis)
    tardis: The Hamish X books are absurd and funny and like the Artemis Fowl books (also funny) they feature capable young protagonists with dangerous adversaries.
    The Teenage Years by Jamie Thomson (aliklein)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Jesh1721)

English (331)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (1)  All (342)
I read this book when it first came out and loved everything about it. This year I decided a reread of the series was in order. I have totally sucked at my #FowlADay. As I can not seem to read a chapter a day. And that is totally me, and not this book.

When the series first came out it was love from page one. Each new book I devoured until the supposed last book. The Atlantis Complex came out soon after the Lightning Thief and Harry Potter finished their runs, and I supremely disliked each of those last books. I could not bear to be disappointed by another series sucky end. So I never read the last book. Then Colfer surprised everyone and wrote the Last Guardian, which I have still never read. And even though I decided it was time for a reread before the movie announcement for 2019 and the spin off series, I was more than happy and excited to delve back into this beloved world.

And I have to say, this story holds up. Now, 15 years later, this book is just as much fun, worldly, timely, and crazy as it was before. Arty is an evil genius 12 year old. He wants fairy gold, and has used his superior brain to find that which most think is fantasy. Holly Short is the only female member of the LEPrecon unit, and gets tricked by Arty. Add in a fantastic cast of characters, Commander Root, Butler, Juliette, and let’s not forget Foaly, our tech crazy centaur. It’s a romp. Trolls, fairies, and other creatures exit and almost live in harmony. It’s a heist, and dangerous, but it also has heart. The heart grows with each book in the series, but it’s there, and entirely worth the read. Now if only they don't mess up the movie. Here's hoping the movie movie is more Lord of the Rings than Eragon.

#MountTBR
#LitsyAtoZ
#FowlADay ( )
  LibrarianRyan | May 14, 2018 |
Artemis Fowl: Artemis Fowl, Book 1 By Eoin Colfer Narrated By Nathaniel Parker I borrowed this book from the library. I figured everyone in the world has read this but me and thought I would catch up. What a hoot! Loved it! I don't know what I thought it was going to be but I didn't expect a 12 year old genius villain! My goodness, I thought it was great! The fairies, dwarves, trolls, and the silly things that happen, I giggled so much. It was so silly I can see why kids love this book. I am definitely going to read more. If my grandkids haven't read these I am going to tell them about it. Funny!!! The narrator was wonderful with all the variety of voices from the fairy girls to dwarves. Each different and interesting, wonderful job! ( )
  MontzaleeW | May 10, 2018 |
Very enjoyable. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
The book was okay. I will probably not finish the series though. ( )
  Ella_Wold | Jan 20, 2018 |
Bo-ring. Only persevered because I felt like I should. Blah. ( )
  lydiasbooks | Jan 17, 2018 |
The truth is, fairies in their essence are said to possess glamour, a word that originally meant something like charm -- the ability to bewitch. Hardware may intrigue, caustic belligerence may be sexy to a contemporary 12-year-old, but neither ingredient bewitches. Despite a brave and promising premise, ''Artemis Fowl'' is charmless.

Characterizations and dialogue enhance a rollicking tale that will have readers rolling on the floor and eagerly anticipating the planned sequel
added by khuggard | editBooklist

Fun to read, full of action and humor, this is recommended for all public libraries and to readers of all ages
added by khuggard | editLibrary Journal

The combination of choppy sentences and ornate language will appeal to some readers, although not necessarily to Harry Potter fans; the emphasis here is more on action (some of it gory), technology, and deadpan humor than on magic, and only one character (Artemis) is a child.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal

Despite numerous clever gadgets and an innovative take on traditional fairy lore, the author falls short of the bar.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

Eoin Colferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ménard, Jean-Françoissecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alcaina, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Welsh Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
[Dim]
For Jackie
How does one describe Artemis Fowl? (Prologue)
Ho Chi Minh City in the summer.

Eoin Colfer describes his new book, Artemis Fowl, as "Die Hard with fairies." He's not far wrong.

Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is the most ingenious criminal mastermind in history. With two trusty sidekicks in tow, he hatches a cunning plot to divest the fairyfolk of their pot of gold. Of course, he isn't foolish enough to believe in all that "gold at the end of the rainbow" nonsense. Rather, he knows that the only way to separate the little people from their stash is to kidnap one of them and wait for the ransom to arrive. But when the time comes to put his plan into action, he doesn't count on the appearance of the extrasmall, pointy-eared Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconnaisance) Unit--and her senior officer, Commander Root, a man (sorry, elf) who will stop at nothing to get her back.
An evil genius
kidnaps a fairy captain
to hold her ransom.
(marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786817879, Mass Market Paperback)

At last, one of the most talked-about novels of last year is now available in an accessible mass-market edition. Twelve-year-old Artemis is a millionaire, a genius-and above all, a criminal mastermind. But Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories-they're dangerous!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:17 -0400)

When a twelve-year-old evil genius tries to restore his family fortune by capturing a fairy and demanding a ransom in gold, the fairies fight back with magic, technology, and a particularly nasty troll.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141312122, 0141329726, 014133939X, 0141339098

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,366,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible